Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Member (self-treating)
RE: New Memeber
(12-21-2013, 11:38 AM)me50 Wrote: if you are in the US, have you looked at the market place for Obama care plans?

The US (where I am) healthcare system is in a bit of a mess right
now. I was going to wait until things settle down before I search
in earnest to find a healthcare plan I can live with. At the present time
the gov. website rarely works and even the laws are being tweaked. I'm in generally good health so not too worried for the present. Since
starting this apnea experiment, I've lost 25lbs. and my blood pressure
has gone from a high of 158/108 to 117/78. Before the CPAP I never
felt like exercising. Now I do so everyday for 2hrs. I never felt good,
never had any energy for anything. Things seem to be improving after
only a few months.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's good Gary that things are improving. I read that if people don't sign up for insurance that they will be penalized with fines. I can say this, I am hearing from a lot of people that medicare is no longer covering things that they have all along and some have been left with big bills. Others say that they are concerned about how much their coverage will change on Jan. 1 and how high their medication will cost. And a lot of people blame it on Obamacare. I hope you get coverage soon so you can be protected in case something happens. Glad you have been able to figure out you had some issues and figured out where to start on correcting them.
Post Reply Post Reply
How did you buy a machine without prescription?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Member (self-treating)
Used PAP machines are sold on the open market. I see one occasionally in the local rag but lots more are available on Craigs List. There are some retailers of used ones but you will need a prescription for those.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2014, 07:09 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: Used PAP machines are sold on the open market. I see one occasionally in the local rag but lots more are available on Craigs List. There are some retailers of used ones but you will need a prescription for those.

So its legal to buy one from an individual but not a retailer? Thinking-about

Post Reply Post Reply
You can buy a machine from whom ever you want can't you, with or without a prescription. New or second hand.
You can in Australia anyway.
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
We have the FDA controlling retailers of PAP machines but an individual can sell one without being subject to that ruling body. As an individual, if you own one legally, you can sell it to anyone you please. By the same token, you can buy one from anyone who legally own one.

That's the way the government treats us here in the U.S.

Funny thing, I have even had one local dealer refuse to sell me a headgear without a doctors prescription. Go figure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2014, 09:16 PM)surferdude2 Wrote: We have the FDA controlling retailers of PAP machines but an individual can sell one without being subject to that ruling body. As an individual, if you own one legally, you can sell it to anyone you please. By the same token, you can buy one from anyone who legally own one.

That's the way the government treats us here in the U.S.

Funny thing, I have even had one local dealer refuse to sell me a headgear without a doctors prescription. Go figure.

Interesting to know. Maybe I can just get my own machine and jack up the pressure.

I wouldn't buy hoses or what not from some guy, ew. That would be like buying used underwear from Goodwill.

Post Reply Post Reply
Is craigslist something similar to E-Bay or Kijji ?

if so, you are buying from an individual and not a retailer and a prescription wouldn't be needed.

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2014, 10:45 PM)nightflight Wrote: I wouldn't buy hoses or what not from some guy, ew. That would be like buying used underwear from Goodwill.

I wouldn't have a problem with the hose or any hard part of the mask since they are easily sanitized but I would insist on a new mask cushion. Let's face it, when you eat in a restaurant you put flatware in your mouth and drink from glasses that many others have used.

(08-08-2014, 10:45 PM)nightflight Wrote: Interesting to know. Maybe I can just get my own machine and jack up the pressure.

That's what I'm doing. Sometimes you must take control of your own healthcare.

(08-09-2014, 07:50 AM)Bompa Wrote: Is craigslist something similar to E-Bay or Kijji ?

if so, you are buying from an individual and not a retailer and a prescription wouldn't be needed.

Coffee

Even when buying on E-Bay, you could possibly be buying from a dealer since dealers list items there. You never have to worry though since the burden is upon the dealer to enforce the prescription rule and they will ask you for one before shipping anything. Anytime you manage to buy one without a prescription, you're home free. Frankly I doubt any dealer will ever let you slide home without first requiring and validating a prescription from you.

Bottom line: You see it, you attempt to buy it, you find out what's required, if no prescription is asked for, you can assume you're buying from an individual who is not in the healthcare business.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 139 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 906 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 290 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Help regarding CPAP settings for treating UARS sleepytan 24 1,415 01-17-2024, 12:17 AM
Last Post: sleepytan
  New member from Down Under AussieBobJ 6 499 01-10-2024, 12:45 AM
Last Post: AussieBobJ
  Cannabis treating central apneas? ashwa 16 2,422 12-18-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: theredheadsaid
Gross Family member thinks my SA is a scam?? sleepadventurer 19 1,025 12-02-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.