Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New - Off to good start thanks to Apnea Board
New - Off to good start thanks to Apnea Board
After a year of my spouse wearing noise-canceling earbuds, I had a sleep test in December.  I was a snorer, but didn't have other symptoms of sleep apnea.  I, unlike my wife, woke up refreshed and rested.  So I was greatly surprised by the diagnosis of "mild to sever" sleep apnea with an AHI of 30.8.  I just accepted the inevitable and waited for the machine.  As a result I had not done any research before I picked up a DreamMachine bi-pap with a Resmed full-face mask on January 31 .  Pressures were set a 20/15.

As you might expect, my first couple of nights were terrible, the worst nights of sleep I've had in years.  The API did drop to 10 or so, but it was clear that I need to take charge, since I had no real guidence from my doctor or provider.  That was when I found this board and began my research.  I downloaded Sleepyhead and started tracking my nights and keeping notes.

For reasons I don't understand, I decided I'd give the machine and mask a week before I asked for help.  That along with not having done research before accepting the machine were big errors on my part.  However, once I call the provider and subsequently my doctor, things improved quickly.  I was convinced my pressures were too high and ask to have them lowered.  The RT at the provider asked that I call and ask for a prescription change.  I did so and the pressures were lowered to 17/12.  I also asked to try a different mask and visited the RT with data from Sleepyhead along with my notes and observations. 

I left the store with my same mask, but also with a CPAP pillow.   From my readings here, I felt that both the machine and the mask were good choices for me (yes, I know how lucky I was).  I had the RT show me how to correctly adjust the mask since I thought the high pressure and my errors in adjustments were the source of my leaks.  She did agree to let me test more masks if needed.  Once I detailed my sleep habits (side, mouth breather) she recommend the pillow.

My first night with the pillow and lower pressures was amazing.  My AHI was 2.87!  The second (last night) reading was 4.85.  I suspect the first night low was the result of just being comfortable and feeling like I could live with this thing.  

While I'm not declaring victory, and I want to see continued improvements, I just wanted to tell my story and thank everyone here.  I also plan to share my experience with my doctor in hopes he can help the next patient.

Barry
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New - Off to good start thanks to Apnea Board
Good job taking control. Your next step is to download SleepyHead so you can follow the detailed data. The link is just below.

Welcome to Apnea Board.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
In addition to downloading #Sleepyhead so you can control your therapy, you should obtain copies of your sleep study records and titration. It is unusual for someone to be prescribed bilevel instead of CPAP, and it would be interesting to better understand why that happened. Having these records can save you from needing future studies as well as better understanding your current situation. The potential for mistakes is apalling. My wife was "diagnosed" with severe sleep apnea with an AHI of 98, but the reality was she had mild apnea with an AHI of 9.8. Your event type matters, so speaking of AHI is less helpful than speaking of obstructive (OAI), central (CAI) and hypopnea (HAI). All have significance and are approached differently.

Welcome to the forum, and look forward to helping you adapt and succeed with the therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-11-2018, 09:07 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: Good job taking control. Your next step is to download SleepyHead so you can follow the detailed data. The link is just below.

Welcome to Apnea Board.

It was in fact SleepyHead that gave me the data I needed to make my case for changes.  The RT asked that I also use Dreammapper, since that is the data she has.  I'm not finding Dreammapper of much value.

As I said, I know I'm just starting this journey, but with the  help of the Board and SleepyHead, I feel like I have the tools I need to be successful.

Barry
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi lhfarm,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It
s great that you took charge of your apnea treatment.
Good luck with CPAP therapy
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 110 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 142 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,259 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 446 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 772 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,231 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.