Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Pilairo
RE: New Pilairo
My last post in this thread was some time ago. Since then I have additional experience with the Pilairo.

Initially I found that I could use it for three or four to as many as six or seven nights in a row, then I would develop lesions inside my nostrils, at about the 10:30 and 1:30 position. Occasionally I would even find a tiny amount of blood. At that point I would go back to my Mirage Vista for a few nights until the lesions cleared up. As soon as possible I would return to the Pilairo, because it is so comfortable compared to anything else.

Later I had a discussion with my respiratory therapist. He uses a *PAP also, and reported to me that he had started using the Pilairo as well. And he had exactly the same problem as I did. He said that he can avoid the lesions if he washes the mask religiously at least every other day.

I considered his solution, but I found that if I use a tiny amount of Lansinoh cream before I go to bed I eliminate the lesions completely. I've been doing that for about four weeks now, and not a single lesion since I started.

I cannot figure out how the Pilairo could possibly be causing lesions. The silicone is so thin and wispy that it amazes me that it could damage skin. Yet it does for some people. You can find other reports like this on the net. If this is a problem for you, I hope one of the solutions I mentioned will eliminate it.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 08:06 PM)Janet82 Wrote: I wondered if the saline had irritated my nose.

Hi Janet! Welcome

If you're using either store-bought saline solution or mixing the Neil-Med saline packets with distilled water, then neither one of them "should" cause irritation inside your nose.

If you're making your own saline with salt, sodium bicarbonate and distilled water, then your mixture ratio may be slightly off and that could irritate your sinuses.

Good luck, finding the perfect mask that works perfectly on YOUR face is the hardest part of CPAP therapy, you just have to keep trying to get the perfect mask style and then the fit for you.

Sleep-well

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 08:26 PM)JJJ Wrote: I cannot figure out how the Pilairo could possibly be causing lesions. The silicone is so thin and wispy that it amazes me that it could damage skin.

JJJ, is it possible that maybe the airflow coming-out of the Pilaro's opening's is aimed in such a way that it's kind of like a venturi effect with the airflow being directed towards the two positions you indicated inside the nostrils, and it's simply causing a drying effect (and bleeding) to the two places you've indicated?

Not exactly the same but very similar; if you were to take an air compressor with a blower nozzle and direct the compressed air onto one place on your skin, after a while (maybe a few hours) the airflow would cause your skin to bleed.

Is this theory plausible?

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
I had a mask that did that. Can't remember which one it was. But it was aimed nearly straight up and I kept getting a sore in both nostrils.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2013, 08:54 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(01-11-2013, 08:26 PM)JJJ Wrote: I cannot figure out how the Pilairo could possibly be causing lesions. The silicone is so thin and wispy that it amazes me that it could damage skin.

JJJ, is it possible that maybe the airflow coming-out of the Pilaro's opening's is aimed in such a way that it's kind of like a venturi effect with the airflow being directed towards the two positions you indicated inside the nostrils, and it's simply causing a drying effect (and bleeding) to the two places you've indicated?

Not exactly the same but very similar; if you were to take an air compressor with a blower nozzle and direct the compressed air onto one place on your skin, after a while (maybe a few hours) the airflow would cause your skin to bleed. Is this theory plausible?

Yes, it's a plausible theory. But it's also possible that it is just the silicone rubbing against the skin. I have no idea. And it's just about impossible to figure it out on my own because you can't see what the pillow is doing inside your nostril. Even if I had someone watching me as I sleep they would have a hard time seeing what is going on.

The Pilairo also has a whistle on exhale that is hard to eliminate. When I go to bed I have to fiddle with it over and over until I get the pillows positioned inside my nostril just right to eliminate the whistle. The sound is caused by air turbulence as it passes out through the pillows.

I am hoping that Fisher & Paykel will come out with an improved version after considering all the user feedback. For people who can handle a nasal pillow mask, the Pilairo is hands down the most comfortable mask out there, bar none. A slight tweaking of the design would make it the perfect nasal pillow mask. Even as it is, my hat is off to Fisher & Paykel for having created an amazing product.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was going to say that once those sores heal you might want to try using a salve such as Lanisoh lanolin cream, but I see you've already done that. You can buy it the baby care aisle, it's sold as a salve for nursing mothers. It's a bit greasy so if you don't like it there are other products you can try such as Aryl nasal gel or a cream made for CPAP users available from Supplier #1. Avoid other products as they may react with the silicone rubber of the nasal pillow mask.

My theory is that the silicone material moves back and forth as you breathe, rubbing against the skin and irritating it. Lubrication solves the problem.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2013, 12:54 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Lubrication solves the problem.

Wouldn't some good 'ol axle grease help then? Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply
From my experience with the Pilairo I would speculate that the silicone being so thin (acting like a file or knife) is pressing slightly on the skin inside your nose and is rubbing it to the point of actually causing surface abrasion. The movement will be a combination of your breathing, body movement, and airflow. I get the sensation of a sharp edge sometimes but I am able to correct it by moving the mask.
I would be tempted to suggest that you try shortening the part that goes in the nose when you get to the point of replacing the pillow (just in case it makes it worse since using scissors will generate a sharp edge rather than a rounded one).
I am able to get a new mask again so I will be looking to see if any of the other manufacturers have anything that is better. (I am a little fed up with waking up looking like a rabbit, A square on the tip of my nose from the alignment block on the pillows, which doesn’t go away, and whiskers from the pillow that thankfully do.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-14-2013, 09:11 PM)oldteddybear Wrote: .... A square on the tip of my nose from the alignment block on the pillows, which doesn’t go away, and whiskers from the pillow that thankfully do.

It is really surprising how much different peoples' experiences vary. I guess that why there are so many different types of masks...

I find the harder bits of the plastic and rubber don't touch my nose - the mask sort of floats on the really soft pillows. It isn't mean to be a tight mask.

I did a couple of weeks of comparison between the Pilairo and the Swift FX. The FX gave a little bit better AHI - but the Pilairo was much more comfortable for me.

Cheers

David

Post Reply Post Reply
Ah the problems of having a big head.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pilairo Q - has any tried it? pollyottis 4 1,364 07-13-2017, 05:04 PM
Last Post: silversnore
  Anyone Glue The Pilairo Mask Pillow On? player 7 3,592 10-12-2016, 11:00 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Pilairo Q Pillow masks Zocane 7 2,170 09-12-2016, 04:34 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Need help with Pilairo Q mask PaytonA 10 3,555 09-22-2015, 08:52 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Pilairo Q Mask PaytonA 3 1,983 08-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Question Anyone ever use a Fisher Paykel Pilairo mask? Ailu 32 8,770 07-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Last Post: aussiefilo
  Is It Just Me That Thinks The Pilairo Q Is Best? player 44 11,173 07-01-2015, 12:31 PM
Last Post: VTSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.