Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Prescription For Auto CPAP...Reommendations?
New Prescription For Auto CPAP...Reommendations?
I have a Resmed A10 Elite. I guess it is either the Resmed Auto or the Philips S9 Auto? I have not been looking into these models as I thought the Auto machine was out of the question in Ontario.

Is the A10 for her an auto machine?

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Prescription For Auto CPAP...Reommendations?
Hi player,
Wow, it's great to hear that you get a chance to get an APAP, WOO HOO.!
Yes, the AirScense 10 AutoSet for her is an auto machine with the extra treatment option to treat RERAs.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and CONGRATULATIONS.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
What are RERAs? How does it treat them?
Post Reply Post Reply
he Spontaneous Arousal Index is the number of spontaneous arousals (e.g. arousals not related to respiratory events, limb movements, snoring, etc) multiplied by the number of hours of sleep. An arousal is a wake or "alpha" pattern for 3 to 15 seconds. Patients are usually not aware of arousals. There are 3 types of arousals reported out on a sleep study: those attributed to respiratory events, periodic limb movements and those that are spontaneous. Spontaneous arousals have no directly attributable cause, or cannot be linked to the first 2 reasons for arousals.

There may be respiratory events during sleep that generate "spontaneous" arousals. like snores or flow limitations. Indeed, the whole Upper Airway Resistance Syndrome is based on the presence of a large number of spontaneous arousals without the presence of scorable respiratory events such as hypopneas or apneas. These are RERAs (Respiratory Effort-Related Arousals). If you take this number, RERA, and add it to the AHI, you have the Respiratory Disturbance Index (RDI). There are numerous factors that could create a scenario for the appearance of a large number of truly spontaneous arousals, such as medications that deter sleep (pseudoephedrine, caffeine, some antidepressants, too much thyroid medication, etc.), depression and narcolepsy.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2015, 03:13 PM)player Wrote: What are RERAs? How does it treat them?

RERA (Respiratory Effort Related Arousal) ... arousal from sleep, not apnea or hypopnea as such but nevertheless disrupt your sleep
This disruption prevent you you getting into deeper restorative sleep stages, your sleep become shallow and feeling tired during the day
RDI include RERAs but not AHI. The machine only report RERA

As machine choice, I have not used PRS1 Auto, but have used S9 AutoSet and AirSense 10 AutoSet
For my money ... S9 AutoSet win hands down ... ymmv

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2015, 09:15 AM)player Wrote: I have a Resmed A10 Elite. I guess it is either the Resmed Auto or the Philips S9 Auto? I have not been looking into these models as I thought the Auto machine was out of the question in Ontario.

Is the A10 for her an auto machine?

Thanks.

Resmed S9 Autoset, Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset or Philips Respironics System One 60 Series Auto. The PRS1 Auto and newest Airsense 10 Autoset and Autoset for Her all now report RERA. All are good machines and a step up from the Elite.

How did you get approval for the upgrade?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

If you have been using the S9 for a while, you may want to just stick with that and get the S9 Autoset.

Or just upgrade to the A10 Autosets. There are two and from what I have read, the one that is labeled "for Her" (insert eye roll and facepalm) is the best overall.

Then there are the PR machines. They are just as good and perhaps better. The ResMed machines show more on the screen but hold less data on the card. Meaning the PR you don't HAVE to download the data every 7 days like you have to on the ResMed machines.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
The latest ResMed A10 AutoSets (mine is one) have the RERA functionality that was introduced with the "For Her" model. I still believe that the For Her has an additional algorithm for ramping pressure when in APAP mode. But my machine definitely reports RERAs. And I love it - it is silent. Granted, I have no older machine for comparison.

Dave
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-22-2015, 09:15 AM)player Wrote: I have not been looking into these models as I thought the Auto machine was out of the question in Ontario.

Getting a prescription for an Auto CPAP in Ontario will not get you funding from the ADP (Ontario Assisted Devices Program) unless you meet the requirements of "....a change in pressure of a minimum of 4 cmH2O on a prescribed fixed CPAP level of 10 cmH2O or more." If you have met those requirements and your physician has completed and signed the application form you are good to go. The ADP will then pick up 75% of $1020 which is the price controlled amount for a complete Auto CPAP system.

If not, you and/or your insurance company will have to pay the full amount. However, once your DME of choice knows you are not purchasing through the price controlled APD, you may find the price is now much higher and your insurance company may resist paying anything if the ADP pays nothing.

I went through this process recently, but was fortunately able to find a DME that would sell at the ADP price and have insurance that would cover 80% of the cost. The process took almost three months.

Perhaps you know all this, but your profile says your fixed pressure is 9 so I thought there was a possibility you would not meet the ADP requirements even though you had a prescription. In any case, going for the Auto CPAP is always a good choice if you can handle the financing.

Post Reply Post Reply
Well my doctor prescribed it. I am going to talk to the stealership tomorrow and it better be covered by the Ontario govt...

I have been using a Resmed Elite. I am leaning towards the Resmeds because they are a newer product, and when I tried out a Philips 9 cpap I did not like all the nooks and crannies in the water tank. The screen is nicer on the Resmed, and the unit is smaller and more stylin'.

But the big thing now is which of the two units will work the best, be the quietest, and last the longest?

That 24v scam Resmed has going sucks. 12v is much more readily available. But even if I hook up 2 12v batteries to be 24v, I am told here it still won't work without an $80 cable?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Prescription for specific mask types? Slycer 2 89 03-17-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Slycer
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 388 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 562 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Prescription settings AfibApnea 12 774 11-21-2023, 09:08 PM
Last Post: AfibApnea
  [CPAP] Question about cpap/bipap prescription UARS tugboatxd 9 974 11-09-2023, 02:00 AM
Last Post: meatwagon42
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 585 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  CPAP DreamStation CPAP Pro con Auto-Trial AirSense 10 AutoSet cybor 0 549 09-09-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: cybor

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.