Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New ResMed 9S autoset
New ResMed 9S autoset
Does anyone know if it is possible for the cpap machine to pump air into the stomach? That's what it felt like had happened when I woke up after first 6 hours sleeping with my new ResMed S9 AutoSet. I got up feeling horrible with gas and felt very bloated. My bloodpressure checked high like I was stressed.

I did notice when I woke up I was on my back which is not the normal position I sleep in. Don't know if that had anything to do with it or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New ResMed 9S autoset
It doesn't actually pump air into the stomach, but you swallow so much air it creates a condition called Aerophagia, which is not very nice.

It's a preventable thing and usually has to do with how you are using your equipment. Since you have a full face mask, if your mouth is open during the night you will end up swallowing air more than inhaling air. You need to focus of breathing through your nose, not your mouth. You may want to use a chinstrap to encourage your jaw to stay forward and learn to use your tongue against the roof of the mouth to block that airway.

And yes, this is caused much more frequently when you sleep on your back because the tendency is for your jaw to relax more when on your back, and the mouth to open. So you can focus on side sleeping for now until you get everything else figured out.

Thanks for joining us. Keep us up to date on how you're doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many of us have to deal with aerophagia in different degrees.

Sometimes you adjust, sometimes you can make adjustments to your CPAP, like using EPR. What are your settings?

Some people get a bilevel machine to help out with aerophagia.

There's a youtube video in my signature line links that some people have found useful.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well thanks for the answers to everyone.

I actually thought I had discovered the problem was an issue with my settings because I had forgotten to change the tube from "standard" to "slimline" in the settings. I changed the tubing setting to slimline last night and didn't have the problem so thought that was answer.

I am glad I went ahead and asked the question and got your answers.

Strange though that I have this problem first time I use the new machine when I never had that problem with the old ResMed S8 autoset.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 08:46 PM)archangle Wrote: Many of us have to deal with aerophagia in different degrees.

Sometimes you adjust, sometimes you can make adjustments to your CPAP, like using EPR. What are your settings?

Some people get a bilevel machine to help out with aerophagia.

There's a youtube video in my signature line links that some people have found useful.

Thanks Archangle,

Think I will turn EPR on and see if that helps.
My settings are 5-15 as on my dr's prescription in 2010 when I started. Problem is I can't remember if my dr changed the settings at any of my return visits after I started using the S8 autoset.

I have an appointment with him tomorrow afternoon so we will see.

Do I have to worry about my doctor changing something in the programming on my machine to where I won't have access to the info on the card or be able to change the settings if needed? I noticed something in the manual that seemed to indicate I might not be able to access something if my doctor had set it up a certain way?

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 08:29 PM)guessagain Wrote: I got up feeling horrible with gas and felt very bloated. My bloodpressure checked high like I was stressed.

I did notice when I woke up I was on my back which is not the normal position I sleep in.

Hi guessagain, welcome to the forum!

Using the machine for 6 hrs is a great accomplishment in itself. Congratulations. (Seriously!)

When we sleep on our back, this usually makes Obstructive Sleep Apnea much worse, meaning our pressure needs increase.

The higher the pressure which the machine needs to use to prevent apneas, the easier it is for us to swallow air.

So if you can work on staying off your back while asleep, this would probably reduce your aerophagia problem greatly.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 09:32 PM)guessagain Wrote: Thanks Archangle,

Think I will turn EPR on and see if that helps.
My settings are 5-15 as on my dr's prescription in 2010 when I started. Problem is I can't remember if my dr changed the settings at any of my return visits after I started using the S8 autoset.

I have an appointment with him tomorrow afternoon so we will see.

Do I have to worry about my doctor changing something in the programming on my machine to where I won't have access to the info on the card or be able to change the settings if needed? I noticed something in the manual that seemed to indicate I might not be able to access something if my doctor had set it up a certain way?

S8 or S9 AutoSet.

If the doctor changes your settings, you can put them back, as long as you have the secret setup manual from the top of this page.

5-15 is probably too wide a range. You should check your settings with SleepyHead, figure out the pressure you usually need and start at a pressure closer to what you usually need.
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Vaughn. I rarely sleep on my back - normally on my side or stomach.

I tried the EPR last night and don't remember waking once! (My experience for 4 years using a cpap machine is that it interrupts my sleep so much more than was the case without cpap) So maybe I am on my way to an improved sleep experience. I hope!

This is a very good forum - a lot of helpful people here it seems.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-14-2014, 10:22 PM)archangle Wrote: S8 or S9 AutoSet.

If the doctor changes your settings, you can put them back, as long as you have the secret setup manual from the top of this page.

5-15 is probably too wide a range. You should check your settings with SleepyHead, figure out the pressure you usually need and start at a pressure closer to what you usually need.

Thanks Archangle,
But what is "SleepyHead"?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-15-2014, 04:41 AM)guessagain Wrote:
(09-14-2014, 10:22 PM)archangle Wrote: S8 or S9 AutoSet.

Thanks Archangle,
But what is "SleepyHead"?

Look up at the top of the main forum page.

http://www.sleepfiles.com/SH/
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...Discussion

SleepyHead is software that reads the data recorded on your SD card. You can read your own AHI and other parameters, read (not change) your settings, see when you used the machine, see graphs showing your breathing all night long, see how your pressure changes over time, detect leaks, make thousands of julienne fries, and stampede a heard of crippled yaks. (The last two functions may not yet work in some or all versions of the software.)

It's free and open source software, written by jedimark, who is a member here.

Learn how to use that and you'll have more data on your nightly treatment than most sleep doctors.
Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,294 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  [Treatment] ResMed Autoset 11 Settings Optimization anker9000 0 125 04-02-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: anker9000
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 189 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 580 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 266 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,296 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 636 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.