Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9
RE: New ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9
(08-22-2014, 02:45 PM)archangle Wrote: I think some people have had success with some sort of service where you ship to the service company's US address and then they reship it overseas. There's a name for this, but I forget what it is.

Sounds like a "blind shipment" perhaps, or a package forwarding service. Thinking-about
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Link to my post in the other thread:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...6#pid80856
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2014, 08:59 PM)zonk Wrote:
(08-14-2014, 04:46 PM)zonk Wrote: What the 'software upgrade' suppose to mean?
Maybe something similar to DeVilbiss IntelliPAP but done remotely

Firmware Updates https://www.devilbisshealthcare.com/tech-corner
The IntelliPAP platform can accommodate updates to its firmware. This feature is available on all IntelliPAP units. Firmware updates are provided periodically to address an issue and add additional functionality. To update the firmware a CPAP to PC serial cable is required (item #DV51D-615)

Thanks for the tip.

But a serial port? What is that?

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-20-2014, 11:55 PM)retired_guy Wrote: So............ If it's not going to be an "S," like "S10," but an "A" instead, why isn't it going to be an "A1?" Huh! Answer me that! Yeah... I think it should be an A1. Later we can have an A10.

I don't know, but I was getting fixed up on a blind date, I would rather get hooked up with a "10" than a "1" .....

Just sayin'

OMM
Post Reply Post Reply
I am currently trialing the Airsense 10 in Australia, I trialed the S9 Autoset last month. Following are some observations from first week of usage:

Auto Climate Control
I was having issues with rainout with the S9 when it was cold and wet recently. The Airsense 10 has Auto Climate control which I hoped would fix this, however on the first 2 nights I had my P10 pillows tube fill with condensation. I was then having to take the mask off and run the machine in manual mode with the temp set to 30C to dry the tubing for half an hour. Not ideal. When switching from Auto to manual it is set at 27C and Humidity level of 4, which I assume it is using in Auto. I have since changed to manual temp of 25C and humidity at 2, this has improved the rain out, but not fixed it entirely. I am now planning on trying a tube sock on the P10 1 foot tube where most condensation develops, see how that goes.

Does anyone know if the Airsense 10 measures relative room temperature and humidity to adjust the settings or just the humidity and temp coming out of the heated tubing sensor? Hopefully the Auto climate algorithm will be improved in the future.

Modem:
Just after turning on the Airsense 10 for the first time I heard my Alarm clock buzz with mobile phone interference, not a good start. I haven't had a phone do that in years. My Airsense 10 trial comes with online data logging free for 2 weeks so the therapist can adjust remotely if required. I have now put it in Plane mode , every time I turn it off in the morning it asks to turn on the modem. I now do this every couple of days and let it upload, then turn back to plane mode before bed.

Auto Ramp:
This works well compared to the S9, If I wake up the Airsense 10 drops the pressure until I am asleep. This was an issue with the S9 which some mornings I had to stop using after waking as I couldn't catch my breath.

Design:
Much better design than the S9, I like the swivel on the back of the unit for the tubing. I checked the data logging using rescan and have all the detailed data. My S9 was corrupting SD cards regularly so didn’t get much data from that trial.

Cost:
I now have to try and justify the A$2,395 price (less $200 for the trial and $500 from health insurance fund) brings it down to $1,695. This included the heated tube, 5 years warranty and consultations. This compares to around A$1,100 for a unit shipped to Australia from the US. I would assume if I visited a sleep therapist every quarter to 6 months they would charge $90 for a consultation with an imported unit, this would equate to $900-$1,800 in consultation fees over 5 years. Ideally if I imported a unit from the US I would like a local therapist who could supply online data logging, checks and adjustments when required, if anyone knows any companies doing this please let me know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 06:02 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
Quote:The humidifier is integral. You can't remove it any more to get a smaller package.

Yuck again. I don't use a humidifier and I don't want to lug around one when I travel.
You can use the machine without engaging the built-in humidifier, there is a "side cover" goes in place of the water tank
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-03-2014, 05:16 AM)getsmart Wrote: I now have to try and justify the A$2,395 price (less $200 for the trial and $500 from health insurance fund) brings it down to $1,695. This included the heated tube, 5 years warranty and consultations. This compares to around A$1,100 for a unit shipped to Australia from the US. I would assume if I visited a sleep therapist every quarter to 6 months they would charge $90 for a consultation with an imported unit, this would equate to $900-$1,800 in consultation fees over 5 years. Ideally if I imported a unit from the US I would like a local therapist who could supply online data logging, checks and adjustments when required, if anyone knows any companies doing this please let me know.

For the price of $2395, I assume you're referring to a package with everything included?
Where I did my trial, I was informed they did not rebate the trial fee when purchasing the 'special' $2395 package.
They would only rebate the trial fee when purchasing at the full package price, which was approx $2700.
Post Reply Post Reply
Getsmart @ 75 thanks for your review on the S10.
The last paragraph you wrote about wanting to buy a reasonably priced machine from the U.S. but being able to obtain full backup here in Australia, that is what I was hoping to find back in February this year.
I soon found out it wasn't going to happen.
If I didn't buy the machine from someone here it would be hard to get the kind of help you are after, unless you have a very good sleep Doctor.
So I bit the bullet, got hold of a machine for an excellent price and basically flew solo, well almost solo.
I also flew with the help of the good people from this forum. I knew not one thing about sleep apnea when I was diagnosed and everything I have learnt since it has come from here.
Believe me, if I can do it by myself, anyone can.
With the help of SleepyHead and the excellent wealth of knowledge from the wonderful contributors to this forum, you cannot fail.

Good luck!
Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2014, 11:31 PM)Gabby Wrote: So I bit the bullet, got hold of a machine for an excellent price and basically flew solo, well almost solo.
I also flew with the help of the good people from this forum. I knew not one thing about sleep apnea when I was diagnosed and everything I have learnt since it has come from here.
With the help of SleepyHead and the excellent wealth of knowledge from the wonderful contributors to this forum, you cannot fail.

Exactly what I've decided to do!

Thanks for sharing your experience flying solo. I've already ordered my kit, but you've given me the reassurance I need, to not feel naive or silly in going down this path. And considering how overworked & deprived of quality sleep I am, and have been for a while, such reassurance cannot be underestimated Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2014, 01:03 AM)JayR Wrote:
(09-07-2014, 11:31 PM)Gabby Wrote: So I bit the bullet, got hold of a machine for an excellent price and basically flew solo, well almost solo.

Exactly what I've decided to do!

Thanks for sharing your experience flying solo. I've already ordered my kit, but you've given me the reassurance I need, to not feel naive or silly in going down this path. And considering how overworked & deprived of quality sleep I am, and have been for a while, such reassurance cannot be underestimated Smile

Jay that is wonderful. I am so pleased you have decided to go this way.
Please do not feel naive or silly, we have all been where you are.
All I had to go with was a sleep test and a machine basically, and of course this fabulous forum.
I started on this forum a couple of months before I even started using the machine, I must have driven them crazy, probably still do.
You will not look back and regret this decision.
We have 24 hour round the clock help here because we have excellent advice spread around the world.
What more can we ask for?

I wish you all the very best and hope it won't be too long before you are reaping the benefits your new machine and mask.

Sleep Tight...
Gabby
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 106 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,833 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 117 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,290 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,068 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,349 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 273 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.