Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9
RE: New ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9
(09-07-2014, 09:54 PM)JayR Wrote:
(09-03-2014, 05:16 AM)getsmart Wrote: I now have to try and justify the A$2,395 price (less $200 for the trial and $500 from health insurance fund) brings it down to $1,695. This included the heated tube, 5 years warranty and consultations. This compares to around A$1,100 for a unit shipped to Australia from the US. I would assume if I visited a sleep therapist every quarter to 6 months they would charge $90 for a consultation with an imported unit, this would equate to $900-$1,800 in consultation fees over 5 years. Ideally if I imported a unit from the US I would like a local therapist who could supply online data logging, checks and adjustments when required, if anyone knows any companies doing this please let me know.

For the price of $2395, I assume you're referring to a package with everything included?
Where I did my trial, I was informed they did not rebate the trial fee when purchasing the 'special' $2395 package.
They would only rebate the trial fee when purchasing at the full package price, which was approx $2700.

Hi, It sounds like we used the same company (starts with res and ends with sleep). I paid $350 for the 1st trial (1 month) and then told after the trial I couldn't get the $350 off the package price only retail @ ~ $2,700. I then changed to another company who charge $200 for a 2 month and are much more helpful and the trial fee can be taken off the package price. I am still tossing up buying locally vs from the US.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the A10 and A10 for her. I just started doing a trial with the S9 last night as I have been using the system one for the last month.

I have severe OSA (untreated AHI was 52) and my DME says the 'for her' is only good for mild to moderate OSA so not for me? I have my pressure set at a constant 10 as she says using it in auto will increase my centrals. Not sure I buy this logic but for the remainder of my trial(one more month) I will let her manage my treatment and then tinker with it myself :-).

Any thoughts on me being able to use the for her mode?

Also, what are RESA's? I see that is the other difference between the two models. Does it just report them or treat them or?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Karen
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2014, 09:37 AM)zoecat5 Wrote: Hi,

I'm trying to decide between the A10 and A10 for her. I just started doing a trial with the S9 last night as I have been using the system one for the last month.

I have severe OSA (untreated AHI was 52) and my DME says the 'for her' is only good for mild to moderate OSA so not for me? I have my pressure set at a constant 10 as she says using it in auto will increase my centrals. Not sure I buy this logic but for the remainder of my trial(one more month) I will let her manage my treatment and then tinker with it myself :-).

Any thoughts on me being able to use the for her mode?

Also, what are RESA's? I see that is the other difference between the two models. Does it just report them or treat them or?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Karen

Karen, go with the "for her." It has nothing to do with "mild or medium" and everything to do with being especially designed for girl things. What they discovered (duh!) is female things are different than male things. With the A10 for women, the machine will actually begin to respond on the first missed breath rather than the third, which has been the case before. The RERA circuit is another issue that provides additional diagnostic capability.

Further, if you don't like the new girl features, you can turn them off and the machine is the same as the regular unit.

I don't know really know why those features aren't just built into the one machine, but they aren't. I speculate that maybe the new features make us guys' Adam's apple vibrate or something.

In summary, go girl!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Retired Guy - that's what I'm thinking as well. I might as well get the newest model with the most bells and whistles. I appreciate all your help, and your previous suggestions on nasal masks - finally got a P10 for her yesterday and think I have finally found nasal pillows that work for me!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-12-2014, 04:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Female specific algorithm? Seriously?

I agree
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-02-2014, 09:21 PM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: Thanks for the tip.

But a serial port? What is that?

OMM

It's an electrical socket on a computer or perhipheral for connecting a matching cable for allowing data transfer. In this case, for updating the firmware. (Firmware being operational memory code in a device that stays the same in all user sessions.)

(R_G told me it was a town near the ocean where Cheerio's & Chips Ahoy cookies were exported.) :grin:

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-20-2014, 02:30 PM)Lahanna44 Wrote:
(08-12-2014, 04:28 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Female specific algorithm? Seriously?

I agree

Yep seriously... Someone had a big grant and conducted a long study and had lots of research assistants and published volumes of informative journals and got even more grant money..... The learned result?

girls are different than boys.
Post Reply Post Reply
No question, you should go for the "for her" model unless there are cost savings.

The for her model does both "normal" and "4 her" mode, so you don't lose anything. You can do anything with the 4her model that the 4him model does. The 4her will also report RERA, which the 4him doesn't.

It's entirely possible that females are in general more easily disturbed by the auto pressure changes. I think there probably IS an actual "female" advantage to the 4her algorithm. Despite political correctness, there are some differences between females and males.

Also, to a certain extent, the "4her" auto setting is just sort of a "gentle auto" setting. I think this is a good idea. For that matter, it would probably make sense to have a few more adjustable settings for auto, such as a 1-5 setting for speed of change, sensitivity to apnea, etc.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
AutoSet 4Her gives you more bang for your bucks, and does all three modes ... AutoSet, AutoSet 4Her, and CPAP
Reports arousal events on all modes

AutoSet 4Her mode does not treat apnea above 12, the older S8 Autoset also did not treat apnea above 10 as thought apnea above 10 are centrals and the S8 did not have central apnea detection. Both machines continue to respond to snoring and flow limitation up to 20

According to ResMed, not a lot of difference between the results of AutoSet and AutoSet 4Her algorithm
Read more http://www.resmed.com/content/dam/resmed...S_2014.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-08-2014, 01:46 AM)Gabby Wrote:
(09-08-2014, 01:03 AM)JayR Wrote:
(09-07-2014, 11:31 PM)Gabby Wrote: So I bit the bullet, got hold of a machine for an excellent price and basically flew solo, well almost solo.
I also flew with the help of the good people from this forum. I knew not one thing about sleep apnea when I was diagnosed and everything I have learnt since it has come from here.
Believe me, if I can do it by myself, anyone can.
With the help of SleepyHead and the excellent wealth of knowledge from the wonderful contributors to this forum, you cannot fail.

Exactly what I've decided to do!

Thanks for sharing your experience flying solo. I've already ordered my kit, but you've given me the reassurance I need, to not feel naive or silly in going down this path. And considering how overworked & deprived of quality sleep I am, and have been for a while, such reassurance cannot be underestimated Smile

Jay that is wonderful. I am so pleased you have decided to go this way.
Please do not feel naive or silly, we have all been where you are.
All I had to go with was a sleep test and a machine basically, and of course this fabulous forum.
I started on this forum a couple of months before I even started using the machine, I must have driven them crazy, probably still do.
You will not look back and regret this decision.
We have 24 hour round the clock help here because we have excellent advice spread around the world.
What more can we ask for?

I wish you all the very best and hope it won't be too long before you are reaping the benefits your new machine and mask.

Thanks Gabby Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 26 492 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,843 Yesterday, 11:41 AM
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 621 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,633 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,836 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 230 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,200 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.