Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9
RE: New ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9
Some of my favorite "technical" concepts offered up by "medical professionals" is "Are you sleeping better?" and "Is this or that more comfortable?" I think I mentioned that my primary doc asked me if I was sleeping better now that I'm using cpap. I responded with all sorts of "ahi" "ca vs oa vs hypop" "leak numbers" and even pulled out some reports. To which she happily answered "I'm glad you're sleeping better." ------"well yes doc, now if I could just find something that would give me even more comfort...... Like thunking you in the head maybe?"
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 09:41 PM)labtec6 Wrote:
(10-09-2014, 07:18 PM)zonk Wrote: My AirSense 10 AutoSet delegated as a backup machine, the S9 AutoSet still my primary machine and my #1 machine of choice

Reading things like this makes me nervous. I'm pretty new to all of this but I used an S9 Elite for a month and found it worked without an issue for me, but bought an A10 Elite when I returned my S9 after the trial. The S9 wasn't going to be available and I read some nice reviews about the A10 and decided to give it a shot.

Overall, I find the A10 quieter than the S9, but the S9 was definitely quiet so I can't say the S9 was bad at all. They are the Elite version and not the Autoset, so it's just a CPAP so I don't know if I'd have the same issues others seem to have with the A10. Tonight will be night number 3 with the A10 and I haven't had any reason to complain so far. A clock on the machine would be nice though. Might have to just duct tape one on the top. Wink

Don't worry about it.

There's always some risk that a new machine will turn out to have some bugs or design flaws, but the A10 machines look pretty good so far. S9 vs. A10 is a question of which of two pretty good options to choose.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2014, 07:44 PM)archangle Wrote: There's always some risk that a new machine will turn out to have some bugs or design flaws, but the A10 machines look pretty good so far. S9 vs. A10 is a question of which of two pretty good options to choose.

Definitely. I can say I'm happy with the A10. I can see the water level a lot easier than the S9, so I can tell when I need to add more. Other than that, like you said, it's all a matter of what would look better on your night stand. It's all a matter of finding a good mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
I saw my doctor today for yearly chit-chat, gave him copies of the S9 report and A10 report
He quickly spotted how the A10 95P pressure is higher than the S9
Beside telling me how good the reports looked and the best he have ever seen
I asked him about the A10 and 4Her reporting RERAs
He said the A10 looks nice but he don't know how machine with mask and flow, and no wires to the brain can report "respiratory effort related arousals" while they have problem in the lab with all the wires attached doing that ... not exactly his words but something to that effects
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 04:28 AM)zonk Wrote: I saw my doctor today for yearly chit-chat, gave him copies of the S9 report and A10 report
He quickly spotted how the A10 95P pressure is higher than the S9
Beside telling me how good the reports looked and the best he have ever seen
I asked him about the A10 and 4Her reporting RERAs
He said the A10 looks nice but he don't know how machine with mask and flow, and no wires to the brain can report "respiratory effort related arousals" while they have problem in the lab with all the wires attached doing that ... not exactly his words but something to that effects

Yes I thought that too about the RERA's with the AirSense A10, I do not understand how a flow generator can discern a RERA just from pressure and flow data without data from the abdomen related to respiratory effort, ie belts around the abdomen measuring that effort.

Post Reply Post Reply
It makes those of us that have gone through the S8, S9 and predecessors wonder why they would put machines out to market that are 'lacking' and then come up with a new machine that really has nothing special about it asides from a few minor changes of little consequence? It is becoming very much like cellular telephone manufacturers (Apply in particular although they are all the same) that come out with a new model at least once or twice a year to improve market share or just improve sales with the older phones going into a drawer for standby. Personally? I intend to stick with my S9's (Auto) which work just fine. If anything I am guessing that they have re-engineered the S9 to reduce cost and stuff their pockets. For shame. Anyone actually using one of these new blowers that has something to say to support shelling out hard earned money to update?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 08:57 AM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote: It makes those of us that have gone through the S8, S9 and predecessors wonder why they would put machines out to market that are 'lacking' and then come up with a new machine that really has nothing special about it asides from a few minor changes of little consequence? It is becoming very much like cellular telephone manufacturers (Apply in particular although they are all the same) that come out with a new model at least once or twice a year to improve market share or just improve sales with the older phones going into a drawer for standby. Personally? I intend to stick with my S9's (Auto) which work just fine. If anything I am guessing that they have re-engineered the S9 to reduce cost and stuff their pockets. For shame. Anyone actually using one of these new blowers that has something to say to support shelling out hard earned money to update?

Personally? I have the A10 and used the S9. My opinion? If you have an S9 and it works, use it. Use it until it doesn't work anymore or you can't get replacement parts. Let the bugs get worked out. See how reliable they are. When you need a new one, see how the A10 is going. If it seems just as reliable, get one. Get the A10 Mark II or whatever. I'm a "bleeding edge" kind of guy so I don't mind dealing with the bugs and in some way helping get them worked out. No reason to upgrade unless you want the heater integrated and want something that looks nice on the bedside table. It works. Only had my A10 for a week. No issues SO FAR. May have found one with the water tank becoming noisy for no reason but the leak rate is still down so I have no idea. Maybe I just didn't notice it until now. We shall see tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply
From A10 clinical manual: Software upgrade
The device has a software upgrade feature. When a software upgrade is in progress, the screen will flash for approximately 10 minutes

Remote monitoring
The AirSense 10 device has cellular communication which has the ability to automatically transmit summary and night profile data on a regular basis. It also allows you to change settings remotely.
The Wireless signal strength icon displayed at the top right of the screen indicates the signal strength. Advise the patient to check the signal strength on their device.
Notes:
* Therapy data might not be transmitted if used outside of the country or region of purchase.
* Devices with cellular communication might not be available in all regions

My A10 is US version (got it from someone at craiglist prices)
I suppose the "software upgrade" is useless to me and won't benefiting of any future upgrade
Tough luck .. I've to pay local rip-off prices for that function, assuming its available on machines sold in Australia
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 05:30 PM)zonk Wrote: My A10 is US version (got it from someone at craiglist prices)
I suppose the "software upgrade" is useless to me and won't benefiting of any future upgrade
Tough luck .. I've to pay local rip-off prices for that function, assuming its available on machines sold in Australia

I'm pretty sure it can be done by SDcard as well. The procedure might be to take it into their local CPAP store and they have an SDcard with the software on it and when it reads the card when you first insert it, it will then do an update automatically. I know my computer's motherboard can do that with a USB stick. It'd be smart if they did that as well. We will have to see.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would think it would be by SD card. Doing an update over wireless is risky and data maybe corrupted or the wireless transmission interrupted and thereby bricking you machine. Modem manufacturers tell you never to update modem firmware by wireless so I would imagine the Resmed would take a similar attitude.

Are you saying Zonk, there is different software (Incidentally I would call it firmware) between those sold in the US to those made in the US? The serial number will tell you where it is made and according to this forum there is only 2 places of manufacture; Singapore - serial number starting with 23 and Australia, serial number starting with 22. I bought my S10 in the US (not from Craiglist)and the serial number starts 2214xxxxx.

I would have thought sleep apnoea is the same across the world and that the treatment is the same no matter what country you are in. I doubt very much that there would be different firmware for the US to that of Australia. I don't think the wireless feature not being used in Oz is a big deal - you can turn it off in any case.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 25 463 55 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,814 6 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 7 619 03-20-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: labrat
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 67,618 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 25,806 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  What happens when SD card fills? - Resmed Airsense 10 Craigtech 1 229 03-10-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,185 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.