Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9
RE: New ResMed AirSense 10 vs. S9
(10-13-2014, 08:44 PM)Skypilot Wrote: I doubt very much that there would be different firmware for the US to that of Australia.
Its different language in different firmware.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 08:44 PM)Skypilot Wrote: I would think it would be by SD card. Doing an update over wireless is risky and data maybe corrupted or the wireless transmission interrupted and thereby bricking you machine. Modem manufacturers tell you never to update modem firmware by wireless so I would imagine the Resmed would take a similar attitude.

Unless the manufacturer is a first class idiot, the method of transmission is irrelevant. You download the file, checksum it and install it after the install. If you're smart, you keep a "failsafe" chunk of code that's either the original code or enough code to let you load another update if the first one fails.

Unfortunately, a lot of high tech equipment manufacturers these days ARE first class idiots. Oh-jeez

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 08:57 AM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote: It makes those of us that have gone through the S8, S9 and predecessors wonder why they would put machines out to market that are 'lacking' and then come up with a new machine that really has nothing special about it asides from a few minor changes of little consequence? It is becoming very much like cellular telephone manufacturers (Apply in particular although they are all the same) that come out with a new model at least once or twice a year to improve market share or just improve sales with the older phones going into a drawer for standby. Personally? I intend to stick with my S9's (Auto) which work just fine. If anything I am guessing that they have re-engineered the S9 to reduce cost and stuff their pockets. For shame. Anyone actually using one of these new blowers that has something to say to support shelling out hard earned money to update?

I have no problem with them re-engineering the machine to save costs and increase their profits as long as the machine is as good as the old one. I don't know whether that's what they did in this case.

As to whether it's better overall or not, time may tell. It is a bit smaller if you use a humidifier. Perhaps the therapy algorithms are better.

Has anyone figured out whether it saves more days of high resolution flow rate data, or do they still throw the data away after 7 days? Oh-jeez
Useful links.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 06:16 AM)kmar92 Wrote: Yes I thought that too about the RERA's with the AirSense A10, I do not understand how a flow generator can discern a RERA just from pressure and flow data without data from the abdomen related to respiratory effort, ie belts around the abdomen measuring that effort.

I think I saw a paper on this somewhere. It was something to do with studying the shape of the airflow waveform and finding something like a sequence of decreasing breaths followed by a pattern of larger breaths.

It sounded plausible, but I don't have a good feel for how well it works in the real world.

Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
Any idea what you get with the A-10 when you purchase? My S8 quit.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 04:51 PM)timely Wrote: Any idea what you get with the A-10 when you purchase? My S8 quit.
Standard water chamber
SlimLine tube 15mm (heated tube is optional, I would recommend it)
Power supply and cord
Filter
SD card
Travel bag
User manual (you can ask for the clinical manual, the link is at the top of this page)

If A10 is your choice, avoid A10 CPAP model, I recommend "AirSense 10 AutoSet For For" report extra data and have an extra mode, 'AutoSet For Her mode', why not for the same price

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 05:44 PM)zonk Wrote:
(11-18-2014, 04:51 PM)timely Wrote: Any idea what you get with the A-10 when you purchase? My S8 quit.
Standard water chamber
SlimLine tube 15mm (heated tube is optional, I would recommend it)
Power supply and cord
Filter
SD card
Travel bag
User manual (you can ask for the clinical manual, the link is at the top of this page)

If A10 is your choice, avoid A10 CPAP model, I recommend "AirSense 10 AutoSet For For" report extra data and have an extra mode, 'AutoSet For Her mode', why not for the same price

Thanks for your help. My coverage gets me the "Elite". What are your thoughts?

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 07:30 PM)timely Wrote: Thanks for your help. My coverage gets me the "Elite". What are your thoughts?

The Elite is probably an excellent manual CPAP machine.

An Auto CPAP machine is a better choice because it can do manual or auto. You can set an auto to a narrow pressure range, not a "wide open" mode like most doctors seem to think it has to be.

You insurance will probably cover the Auto machine if your doctor prescribes a pressure range instead of a single pressure. Sometimes it's hard to pierce the entrenched wall of ignorance and arrogance of the doctors, though.

Useful links.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 07:30 PM)timely Wrote: Thanks for your help. My coverage gets me the "Elite". What are your thoughts?
A10 Elite is top fixed pressure machine ... 1 modes ... CPAP
A10 AutoSet ... 2 machine in one .... 2 modes ... CPAP and AutoSet
A10 AutoSet 4Her ... 3 machines in one ... 3 modes ... CPAP, AutoSet and AutoSet 4Her ... and report RERAs in all 3 modes (all others don't)

I believe your coverage is fine, your insurance pay the same amount for either machine, same billing code E0601

Even you've pay a little extra out of your pocket, I recommend to get the A10 AutoSet 4Her. It always better to have that extra option, you never know when you might need it down the track ... will save you buying another machine
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-18-2014, 10:02 PM)zonk Wrote:
A10 Elite is top fixed pressure machine ... 1 modes ... CPAP
A10 AutoSet ... 2 machine in one .... 2 modes ... CPAP and AutoSet
A10 AutoSet 4Her ... 3 machines in one ... 3 modes ... CPAP, AutoSet and AutoSet 4Her ... and report RERAs in all 3 modes (all others don't)

I believe your coverage is fine, your insurance pay the same amount for either machine, same billing code E0601

Even you've pay a little extra out of your pocket, I recommend to get the A10 AutoSet 4Her. It always better to have that extra option, you never know when you might need it down the track ... will save you buying another machine

Hi timely,

I hope you call up your insurance company (or look on its website) to find all the DME (equipment) vendors in your area accepted by your insurance. Then call up each one and say you are looking for a DME provider who will supply you the A10 AutoSet For Her. If you do that, even the company which claimed your insurance only covered the Elite is likely to supply you the machine you want.

(Your insurance is likely to provide same reimbursement for both machines, and seller makes higher profit on the Elite, but rather than lose the sale to another company would likely be willing to supply you the S10 AutoSet For Her if it is clear that you are willing to go elsewhere unless you receive the machine you want.)

If doctor unwilling to change prescription to a range, the DME provider could still deliver you an A10 AutoSet or Her set up to operate in fixed-pressure CPAP mode, and you would be geting more data from the machine, and would have the ability to be switched in future to APAP mode to see whether APAP or fixed pressure CPAP is best for you. The APAP option is an important option to have, in my view.

Take care,
-- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 59 3 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,434 9 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 133 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,991 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 135 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,155 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,620 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.