Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

No Flow while awake
RE: No Flow while awake
the 142 plm occurred during asv use. if for the sake of discussion each of 3 modalities were used in equal time that'd be 46 minutes each. that's 108 periodic limb movements during 46 minutes of asv use. no matter how you look at it, that's not conducive to good sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a tip... when the pressure on your ASV just spikes up it can make it impossible to get to sleep, just blow air back at it.

When I first started ASV, that was happening to me, I found that advice and it knocks the pressure spike down and helps getting to sleep.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
A decent amount of sleep last night, but not enough. Only 2 Hs. no OAs, no UAs.

Made 4 changes.

1. Min PS to 3
2. Changed Mask to Philips Wisp
3. Used a chin strap
4. Did not go to bed until almost midnight.

Charts attached. there is a peak win I disconnect at 1:45 to use the bathroom. And a break at 5:20 to try and readjust after waking to try to go back to sleep.  I dd not sleep after 5:30.

Something made a huge difference! Maybe because I actually fell asleep!!!

No UAs. Wow, from a hundred to nada.

Whatever, THANK YOU, for your help!  I hope I can repeat this.

A question: What exactly is flow rate? And why would it be zero in the earlier charts?

Another: Does head and neck position affect anything?

TIA

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Flow rate:
Flow Rate is a measure of how fast air is entering or leaving your lungs.
Values above zero mean you are breathing IN
Negative values mean you are breathing OUT
The bigger the absolute value.. the faster the air is entering (or exiting) your lungs.

Head and Neck position:
Not sure what you are asking here but if you tuck your chin down onto your chest that may cause a "strangulation" effect in your throat and cause restrictions and obstructions. When people get into this "chin-tuck" position we often see tightly packed groups of obstructive apneas in quick succession until they straighten their neck again and open up the airways. That's why cervical collars are often recommended in response to seeing clusters of OAs packed together in quick succession.

Does that help?

EDIT: I didn't answer the question about zero flow rate.
If the flow rate is truly zero then you have probably taken the mask off and time is passing without any data being recorded.
If the flow rate is small amplitude (but not totally zero) then your breathing is very shallow and may be waxing and waning.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2020, 10:41 AM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: Flow rate:
Flow Rate is a measure of how fast air is entering or leaving your lungs.
Values above zero mean you are breathing IN
Negative values mean you are breathing OUT
The bigger the absolute value.. the faster the air is entering (or exiting) your lungs.

Head and Neck position:
Not sure what you are asking here but if you tuck your chin down onto your chest that may cause a "strangulation" effect in your throat and cause restrictions and obstructions.  When people get into this "chin-tuck" position we often see tightly packed groups of obstructive apneas in quick succession until they straighten their neck again and open up the airways.  That's why cervical collars are often recommended in response to seeing clusters of OAs packed together in quick succession.

Does that help?

EDIT: I didn't answer the question about zero flow rate.
If the flow rate is truly zero then you have probably taken the mask off and time is passing without any data being recorded.
If the flow rate is small amplitude (but not totally zero) then your breathing is very shallow and may be waxing and waning.

YES!  Thank you.
The first chart attached in initial post shows multiple periods with no flow. No way I was holding my breath while I was awake during that period. It must be some anomaly.
I've ordered a cervical collar to see if it works better or is more comfortable than the chin strap.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now I understand the zero flow rates you are referring to.... we are looking at your first post....
The first plot is a zoomed plot..... the breathing there is waxing and waning (deeper then shallower then deeper again). It's not truly becoming zero and "flat-line".
The second plot is a full night plot.... the period from midnight to 5:30 is the other category... you took your mask off so no data was being recorded.
Make sense?
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-01-2020, 11:53 AM)ApneaQuestions Wrote: Now I understand the zero flow rates you are referring to.... we are looking at your first post....
The first plot is a zoomed plot..... the breathing there is waxing and waning (deeper then shallower then deeper again). It's not truly becoming zero and "flat-line".
The second plot is a full night plot.... the period from midnight to 5:30 is the other category... you took your mask off so no data was being recorded.
Make sense?

Yes

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
"The first plot is a zoomed plot..... the breathing there is waxing and waning (deeper then shallower then deeper again). It's not truly becoming zero and "flat-line"."

Even when I am awake? And I know I'm not shallow breathing. Change in pressure and this went away.

"The second plot is a full night plot.... the period from midnight to 5:30 is the other category... you took your mask off so no data was being recorded."

Yes. Mask off but machine running. Sometimes I turn it off then back on after restroom stop.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 293 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 107 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,601 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 140 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 134 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 497 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.