Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New ResMed S9 - how to tell which model
New ResMed S9 - how to tell which model
The manual lists various models...how do I know which one I now have??
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New ResMed S9 - how to tell which model
On back - 1PX1
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi KarenK,
If I'm not mistaken, the name of the machine is right next to the power button.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, at the power button, it will say one of the following:

Escape
Escape Auto
Autoset
Elite

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Oops...escape auto. Is it a good one??
Post Reply Post Reply
No, it is not. It is non-data capable and is only an "auto" for 30 days, if I understand how it works.

If you've not had it long, take it back and request the Autoset or the Elite. Or the Phillips Respironics System One (PRS1) data capable.

Avoid any Resmed with the word "Escape" in the name or a PRS1 with the word "Plus" in the name. They are not data capable.

"Data capable" means it collects more data than just hours used. It would be like a diabetic taking their glucose reading and only getting a green smiley if it is fine or a red frowny if it is not.

For more information:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Karen,

Keep in mind that here in the U.S., your DME (Durable Medical Equipment supplier) generally gets a flat fee from Medicare or the insurance company for any type of standard CPAP they give you (Whether the Escape, Elite, AutoSet or Escape Auto). They all have the exact same billing code. So it's in their best financial interest to give you the cheapest model they have, so that they can maximize their profit.

You have to insist strongly upon getting a data capable CPAP machine with your DME. See the link in Paula's post above to see which units are the good ones. The two ResMed units that are data capable are the S9 Elite and the S9 AutoSet (but not the S9 Escape Auto). The AutoSet is much better, since it will adjust automatically as your needs change during the night and can be used in either straight CPAP mode or Auto (APAP) mode should you need to use that feature in the future.

Don't let the DME push you around - don't accept what we call a "dumb brick" CPAP machine - insist on a data-capable one, and preferably a data-capable Auto-CPAP.

They're going to try and push you to accept the cheaper machine because they make more money that way - don't let them do that to you. Your Medicare or insurance pays them roughly a flat $1500 either way. If the machine is an AutoSet with humidifier that costs them $900, they make roughly a $600 gross profit. If they con you into accepting a cheaper non-data-capable machine with humidifier that only cost them $800, they make $700 gross profit.

Remember that (unfortunately) a lot of DMEs will outright lie to you about how the system works in order to get you to cave in and accept a dumb brick. Or, at best, they might be a front-line clerk or therapist who has been misinformed on how the billing works. Don't accept anything they say at face value. One of our Master Members here puts it this way: "If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself."

Stand your ground. oldman

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2013, 07:04 PM)KarenK Wrote: Oops...escape auto. Is it a good one??
Avoid any ResMed machine with Escape in the name
Escape Auto is autoPAP with very limited data, it does report AHI but no central apnea detection or efficacy data on SD card

Check here the comparison chart http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Post Reply Post Reply
KarenK,

If you get stonewalled by the DME, get in touch with your doctor's office and tell them persistently but politely that you will accept nothing less than a fully-data capable machine. Anything less means you cannot reliably determine your own needs. If you were a diabetic, you wouldn't be asked to go to the doctor every time you needed a dose of insulin. They would show you how to calculate your needs and give you the reins. This is just as important. Don't let them bully you onto the their money train. Impress upon them give the importance that you play a part in measuring and deciding your own course of therapy.
[Image: dreamdiver-signature-gif.gif]
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-13-2013, 07:04 PM)KarenK Wrote: Oops...escape auto. Is it a good one??

It depends.

It is a perfectly good machine if all you do is put it on and it works and you don't obsess over data. I did that for 7 years with my S8 Elite and it was perfectly fine.

If you are a data wonk and want to see every snore and burp in pressure over night, and you can't live without knowing your AHI trend for the last six months, then by all means, there are better machines for you.

The reporting capabilities are nice when you are having trouble with therapy or are making changes to pressure or equipment (new mask, humidification, etc.)

There are some that will trash the non-data capable machines and run on about how evil they are and may be as dangerous to your health as smoking 12 packs of cigarettes a day while eating a 9,000 calorie diet of deep-fried Twinkies and washing down the Twinkies with Jack Daniels, but I think that approach is counter productive.

Do I prefer the data capable machine? Yes. Do I find it valuable when making changes? Yes. But I don't think I would have a problem using a non-data capable machine if that was all I had available. I did it for a long time and self-titrated incrementally when I needed to. Guess what - my number was exactly what the last sleep study showed, and it is also the 95% number the AutoSet comes to.

Sears catalog summary:
Escape: Good
Data capable: Better

OMyMy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  what model is this? airwaystent 8 382 02-05-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Psychotech
  ResMed AirSense 10 Respond Model and OSCAR upsman 6 2,096 10-06-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Resmed Curve 10 need model # help Fiveseven108 17 1,169 09-16-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Greywolfe
  [Equipment] F&P SleepStyle (new model) Help with setup? BethT 5 989 05-24-2022, 09:46 PM
Last Post: BethT
  [Equipment] Other brands and model alternatives to Dreamstation autoSV DSX900T11C ggoodrich 2 1,071 08-24-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Does anyone know when ResMed is likely to replace the S10 with a new model? green wings 12 2,490 02-19-2021, 03:03 PM
Last Post: DaveL

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.