Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New ResMed S9
New ResMed S9
I had another sleep test (at home) and my 'events' have increased considerably, so much so that my Doctor prescribes a ResMed s9 for me last week. I am on Medicare and have tried several masks, some of which looked so elaborate with straps etc. that I finally decided on the ResMed Swift FX. My Doctor recommended the ear loops as I find the plastic straps on my head being uncomfortable, due to my lack of hair on the top. However, the supplier said they are not covered by Medicare.

On my Doctors recommendation I then tried the Circadiance SleepWeaver Advance. This was OK initially but it attaches directly to the main air tube and during the night pulls of the mask, resulting in air leaking and the noise waking me. The manufacturers told me there was a light weight flexible tube that will alleviate the problem. My supplier however, tells me that they do not stock it and cannot special order it. I called back Circadiance and they said it was Medicare approved and gave me the item number and the Medicare claim code. At this time I seems to have reached stalemate with my supplier.

One other thing, I downloaded the data from the S9 and although it showed my data from the last few days, it also showed data from February to July this year. The unit also showed over 850 hours of use. As I have only had it for 5 days or so it must be a used unit. Does anyone know if Medicare does not supply new units?

At this stage I do not want to contact Medicare directly.

Can anyone in the US on Medicare give me any advice at this stage.

Many thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New ResMed S9
Welcome to the forum. I don,t use Medicare or in US. My understanding is that Medicare pay for the machine and the DME give you the machine. In this case the DME gave you a used machine and get paid for a new machine from Medicare. On the other hand maybe the DME is under no obligations to give a new machine during the capped rental period until the machine is purchased. Dont-know

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi drofli, First, WELCOME! to the forum.! I don't know the answer to your questions but hang tight, keep checkin' back in, someone will have more suggestions for you. BTW, I would take that machine back since they sent you a used machine. Best of luck.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Return the S9 unit to the DME. I would not accept a used unit. You are entitled to a new unit.
My DME tried to pull that on me, but willingly exchanged it for a new machine when I complained. They appologized for their "mistake."

I can't comment on the SleepWeaver Advance or the tubing they are talking about. You should be able to get the Slimeline tubing for your machine. Any DME should have that.
It will pull less on your mask and be a lot more comfortable because it is more flexible, too.

If you are having trouble with your DME, call your insurance carrier's DME claims department. They should be able to argue your case with the DME, especially if you have the claim codes to give them. If not, ask that refer you to a different DME.

Oh, Welcome to the Forum. Glad to have you aboard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, take it back. And make sure the name Escape is not in the name. No Escape or Escape Auto.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi drofli, First, WELCOME! to the forum. I am on Medicare but have not had to purchase any thing yet, my DME said they pay for most of the set up (new) not used if it was me they would get that one back, seems that some DME's will try a fast one.

Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
Wyatt Earp
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I'll speak to my Doctor and see if I can send everything back and find another DME.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi drofli Welcome
I am not on medicare, but I had the same problem with the tubing pulling the mask off my face. I use a different machine and mask than you, but the bottom line is that the masks nowadays are so lightweight I guess it is a common problem. I shopped around on-line and found one of the slimline hoses for my machine for pretty cheap. I can't remember the exact price, but it was under $20.00. Switching to this slimline hose fixed my problem.
If you want to look around we do have a list of "preferred suppliers" listed here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List and I have worked with a few of them and received good service.
On the subject of new vs. used, used machines are okay if they are cleaned properly and such, but medicare is paying them for a new machine with YOUR medicare dollars! I would scoot back there and demand an answer! Then again, I can be abrasive when someone tries to pull a fast one on me! Smile
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll echo what some others have suggested and that is to take the USED unit back to the DME and demand a new one Without Escape in the name. You want one that is "fully data" capable.

If you have a choice of another DME, I'd give them a drive-by or visit. The one you are presently dealing with has a bad philosophy and ethics. If they are trying to give you used equipment on the first go around, their ideals are that they will do it again and often..Untrustworthy
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
Spoke with a 'manager' this morning. He said Medicare only rents the machines for the first 13 months and then converts to a purchase. He claimed that at that time they provided a new unit.

Regarding the Circadiance, they only stock the Sleep Weaver Advance and not any other models or accessories. They claimed that they do not know of any other company locally that stocks all the Circadiance products.

I am getting my Doctor to speak with them.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.