Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Resmed AirFit F20, & N20 Masks
RE: New Resmed AirFit F20, & N20 Masks
NLapnea, both masks provide nasal therapy with a mask that covers your nose and is held in place by fairly stout headgear. The shape is going to be slightly different, so it may work better for you based on fit. Have you ever considered trying nasal pillows? They are the least likely to leak and are easiest to fit. The Resmed Airfit P10 is so quiet you may forget you're wearing it. There are a lot of successful users, and nasal pillows are great as long as you don't leak from the mouth, same as for nasal masks. I started with a nasal mask, and went to pillows within 6-months and never looked back.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 01:17 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: NLapnea, both masks provide nasal therapy with a mask that covers your nose and is held in place by fairly stout headgear. The shape is going to be slightly different, so it may work better for you based on fit. Have you ever considered trying nasal pillows? They are the least likely to leak and are easiest to fit. The Resmed Airfit P10 is so quiet you may forget you're wearing it. There are a lot of successful users, and nasal pillows are great as long as you don't leak from the mouth, same as for nasal masks. I started with a nasal mask, and went to pillows within 6-months and never looked back.

Hello Sleeprider, yes I did try the Opus 360 Nasal Pillow Mask by Fisher & Paykel, but not for long. To me it felt like someone tried to suffocate me, it was a terrible experience, so I went back to the Mirage FX.

I have been using that for 6 weeks now, but it takes me some time every evening to fall asleep without the mask leaking air. The leaks are not that bad, I do get a smiley on the machines display, and the leaks are way below 24 liters of air per minute, but it just doesn't feel that comfortable.

In the beginning of the therapy I woke up in the morning with my eyes cemented shut from the air leaks, that has since then got better, but they still leak a little, perhaps that is normal.

I'm seeing my therapist coming thursday, let's see what she has to say.

Perhaps I can score a new mask to try, maybe the N20 .. ?

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
NLapnea - I'm not familiar with the Mirage nasal mask, nor with the AirFit N20. I have used the AirFir N10 and had the air into the eyes leakage problem you described. I switched to the Respironics Wisp nasal mask and it worked much better - I think because it has a double wall up the sides of the nose, and possibly the frame allows more adjustment of the mask angle.

Eventually my sleep improved to the point that my jaw relaxed and started opening, so I'm now using the Amara View. It's finicky, but when it's fitting right, is great.
Post Reply Post Reply
As an update, I called ResMed and they said the masks should be available pretty soon. Probably by mid-December. But no firm dates.

Bill
Post Reply Post Reply
Supplier 1 has the F20 for sale today.
They shows the N20 as coming soon.
I'm thinking about trying one... (F20)

But -- they show all three sizes as out-of-stock.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, my DME and RT indicated they should have an F20 for me in the next week...if so, I'll let you know how it goes if/when they do Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went ahead and ordered one (F20). It shipped out today. Supposed to be here tomorrow. Smile

Will have the long weekend to try it out.

Haven't used my machine in probably going on two months now... Will be great if this mask works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please let us know your thoughts. It sure would be nice to have a mask that didn't leak.

This might not be the right thread, but why can't these companies design the full face mask that inflates the cushion at least half an inch from the frame, maybe more, so that the frame can make small movements without breaking the seal. I've been waiting 5 years for this. Can that not be done? Many of the nasal masks have had that ability for at least the last 5 years. Hopefully, f20 cushion can do that.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2016, 01:12 PM)NLapnea Wrote: I'm new to the apnea world, well using a machine that is, I must have had apnea for decades, and I recently (1 Month ago) started using an Airsense 10 and Mirage FX nasal mask.

How does the AirFit N20 compare to the Mirage FX ?

So far I found the Mirage FX not that good, it's leaking air and making my eyes water, although the display shows me a smiley.

Fred

Hi Fred,

Since according to supplier number 1, the Airfit N20 is not going to be shipped until 11/28, it is probably too soon for you to receive an answer to your question. What have you tried to troubleshoot the leaks?

If you haven't done so, you might start a thread asking for helping regarding this situation while you wait to see if the N20 might better suit your needs.

49er

Post Reply Post Reply
I have a couple of nights on the F20 now. It's the most comfortable and least leaking ffm I've tried, and I've tried a bunch.

I had given up on ffm's and was trying for a long time to make the P10 nasal pillow work, but my mouth leaking got worse instead of better, and kept waking me up, plus it doesn't work when the air is escaping. The dry mouth is pretty bad too.

I think this ffm is the one for me. It leaks very little. Sleepyhead shows it leaking for about an hour in the first 1/3 of the night (I don't notice it), but good other than that. I don't have to tighten it excessively, so it's a lot more comfortable. Normally I get leaks at the top corners and the bottom corners. No leaks at the top at all with this one. Sometimes a bottom corner will leak a little, depending on how I am moving around. I had to loosen the top as much as it would go.

It's quiet. The vent is well designed. Also no squeaks at the elbow or swivel, like some masks had.

The instructions say to pull it away from your face to let the seal expand, after the air starts flowing. When I do this, then the edge of the seal pushes out and makes the main contact and is uncomfortable, similar to pressing a sharp edged piece of plastic against your face. If I leave it alone, the seal stays flatter with more contact area and is very comfortable.

My AHI with this mask needs some work yet... 11 the first night, 7 the second.
I'm in the process of finding the correct pressure range (the ffm takes more than the nasal pillow did).
The nasal pillow I was running between 6 and 7.
I bumped it to 7-9 initially, but looks like I probably need 8-10.
It ramps to max pressure within the first 10 minutes of use, and stays there most of the night.

With the nasal pillow I got few OA's and mostly CA's. I think because it was causing more arousals (due to mouth leaking). There were nights that I felt like I didn't sleep at all because I woke up so frequently.

With this ffm it's a lot less CA's and mostly OA's. Bumping the pressure appropriately should pull those OA's back down too. The last half of the night is the best. The OA's are concentrated in the first 1/3 of the night. With the nasal pillow I would start off good, and get worse through the night as the mouth leaks got worse. With other ffm's I would get more leaks later in the night. But with this ffm I don't get that downhill spiral effect at all. (so far anyway... two nights under my belt)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,178 1 hour ago
Last Post: car54
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,571 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,977 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  Custom-Fitted Masks? TonyBoBony 5 345 03-01-2024, 10:30 PM
Last Post: TonyBoBony
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  [Equipment] Hybrid mask discontinued, new AirFit 30 leaks! LessSleepyHalf 3 985 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.