New Resmed Airfit Mask F10 FFM Leaks increases AHI level???
rvlasek Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense 19 built in
CPAP Pressure: Auto
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
New Resmed Airfit Mask F10 FFM Leaks increases AHI level???
Bought a new Resmed F10 to use on my Resmed Autosense S10 APAP. Thinking it help to reduce my AHI down, doing just the opposite. I Have been using the FISHER and Paykel Flexfit 431 FFM. With the new F10 mask my median AHI is 8 with median leak rate at 7.2, and feel lousy next day. With the old mask the Fisher Paykel my median AHI is 3.3 with median leak rate of 0.0., excellent sleep for me. My undiagnosed AHI is 40. I really like the Resmed F10, extremely light and easy to put on, but puzzled with leak issues. Have good fit on my face with seal, hose not leaking. I do feel that air pressure coming out from elbow fitting where it connects to found hole on mask, have read that this is intentional leak designed in mask. Any have recommendations I could try or have similar experience with the Airfit F10. I thought about using liners to see if it would help...
05-24-2016 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: New Resmed Airfit Mask F10 FFM Leaks increases AHI level???
How long have you used the F10? Your increase in AHI may be just an adaptation if it is only one or 2 nights. On the other hand your mouth movements during sleep may be causing leaks that you are not aware of. This happened to me with my Mirage Quattro FFM. I started using a chin strap to reduce dry mouth and presto amazo my leak rates are a bunch of zeroes. Improved the dry mouth too.

As far as I know mask liners do not reduce the measured leaks. They reduce the effects of leaks that you can feel or hear.

Best Regards,

PaytonA
05-24-2016 09:10 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi rvlasek,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAp therapy and good luck finding a mask that works well for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.

trish6hundred
05-24-2016 11:23 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

Payton, liners help with leaks. When the mask is on correctly, I have very few leaks when I use a liner. Without it, I have major leakage.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
05-24-2016 11:29 PM
palerider Offline

Preferred Members-

Machine: s9 vpap auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: p10
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 18/13+

Other Comments:

(05-24-2016 09:10 PM)PaytonA Wrote:  As far as I know mask liners do not reduce the measured leaks. They reduce the effects of leaks that you can feel or hear.

mask liners *can* help with leaks... they don't make a better seal, I mean, after all, silicone to skin is going to leak nothing, put some cloth in there and you'll get a wee bit... the main help is that without the mask liner, you may get slippage on the silicone/skin interface, then you get a big leak where the seal comes loose. whereas with a liner, the cushion will often stay in place better.... thus fewer big leaks. at least, that's how it worked for me Wink

make sense?
05-25-2016 12:04 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
rvlasek Offline

New Members

Machine: Resmed Airsense 10
Mask Make & Model: Fisher Paykel Flexifit 431
Humidifier: Resmed Airsense 19 built in
CPAP Pressure: Auto

Other Comments:

(05-24-2016 08:48 PM)rvlasek Wrote:  Bought a new Resmed F10 to use on my Resmed Autosense S10 APAP. Thinking it help to reduce my AHI down, doing just the opposite. I Have been using the FISHER and Paykel Flexfit 431 FFM. With the new F10 mask my median AHI is 8 with median leak rate at 7.2, and feel lousy next day. With the old mask the Fisher Paykel my median AHI is 3.3 with median leak rate of 0.0., excellent sleep for me. My undiagnosed AHI is 40. I really like the Resmed F10, extremely light and easy to put on, but puzzled with leak issues. Have good fit on my face with seal, hose not leaking. I do feel that air pressure coming out from elbow fitting where it connects to found hole on mask, have read that this is intentional leak designed in mask. Any have recommendations I could try or have similar experience with the Airfit F10. I thought about using liners to see if it would help...

Been using new mask, F10 for 7 days. but went back to Fisher Paykel, frustrated with measured leak rate and high AHI...thanks for feedback..
05-25-2016 04:46 AM
FrankNichols Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Resmed F10 and/or P10
Humidifier: Builtin
CPAP Pressure: 17-19
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: I've figured out how to get my AHI down to 5, I quit sleeping!

Are you possibly wearing the straps too tight? The F10 is designed to float on the cushion and not to be help tight against the face. Try wearing it as lose as you can with no leak. And yes, the vent at the connection is intentional and it not counted in the leakage. (Be sure you have the mask type set to FFM also in the machines settings)

I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
05-25-2016 05:13 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
AndyB Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset with RERA
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus, ResMed AirFit F10; PR Amara View
Humidifier: ResMed integrated heated
CPAP Pressure: 10.4-13.0

Other Comments: Diagnosed May 2015; EPR @ 1cmH2O; Ramp off; ResMed Climateline heated hose

I use an F10 and like it. I second FrankNichols' comment about not over-tightening the straps.
05-25-2016 01:28 PM
johnthesleeper Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed AutoSense 10
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Quattro FX
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 6-12

Other Comments:

In my case, I started with a nasal mask, found it hard to sleep with so I rapidly switched to a full face. At first was happy cause at least I could get more sleep with it. However my jaw drops and in order to not have jaw leaks, i had to tighten a lot and this eventually lead to sore nose and much higher AHI, mainly OAs. Then I needed higher pressures to treat the induced OAs from this overtightening, which lead to more leaks, more tightening and... more OA's. Basically, I could sleep with the mask on but felt worse during the day than before cpap. This phenomeneon is well described here

http://sleeptechnologists.org/article/view/659

The result for me was a huge difference in needed pressures and leakage efficiency between nasal and full face so I eventually came back to nasal and forced myself to get used to it. I am now starting to sleep well with the nasal and I also wear a mouthguard to prevent my jaw from dropping and this helps clear my airway a lot. I have never understood why in the litterature it is always presented as a choice to either go CPAP or use a dental device. Why not use a dental device that is not too agressive and does not aim to fully cure your apnea but simply to allow you to bring down your pressure requirement and leaks? It works for me so my advice to you is to try to get used to something else than a full face ( which should always IMO be considered as a last resort) and try to bring down your pressure requirements in any way that works for you (nasal sprays, anti snoring device, inclined bed, side sleeping, chin strap etc...). Good luck.
05-27-2016 10:48 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Roy289 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ for Her CPAP w/ HumidAir™ Humidifier
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: P&S 405
Humidifier: Climateline
CPAP Pressure: 7-14

Other Comments:

Tried three Face masks, Amara View, Quattro Air and last night the AirFit F10. For me they all seem to have the same problem, they have very low leakage rate (6 to 7) when pressure is below 10. When flow limits rise (flow rate inhalation flat topping) the algorithm increases pressure which in my case eventually creates large mask leaks around side of mouth and bridge of nose. Tightening up the lower straps reduces the leakage but results in discomfort and defeats the floating on pillow affect FrankNichols mentioned. Perhaps need to use liners.
06-23-2016 09:56 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Resmed AirFit F20, & N20 Masks gjw 25 3,088 12-08-2016 07:09 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Airfit F20 car54 5 220 12-07-2016 06:33 AM
Last Post: 49er
  Question for Airfit F10 Users PaytonA 2 208 12-03-2016 05:29 PM
Last Post: PsychoMike
  ResMed F20 mask jerrydaw 3 255 12-03-2016 10:53 AM
Last Post: jerrydaw
  airfit P10 sore nose duece12345 12 709 12-03-2016 09:46 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Question: sound level on Resmed S9 WITHOUT humidifier, compared to Remstar 560 kowlooner 8 240 11-29-2016 10:51 AM
Last Post: kowlooner
Question Change Humidity Level Seasonally txpap 9 531 11-21-2016 06:58 PM
Last Post: Sleepster