Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Resmed Airfit Mask F10 FFM Leaks increases AHI level???
New Resmed Airfit Mask F10 FFM Leaks increases AHI level???
Bought a new Resmed F10 to use on my Resmed Autosense S10 APAP. Thinking it help to reduce my AHI down, doing just the opposite. I Have been using the FISHER and Paykel Flexfit 431 FFM. With the new F10 mask my median AHI is 8 with median leak rate at 7.2, and feel lousy next day. With the old mask the Fisher Paykel my median AHI is 3.3 with median leak rate of 0.0., excellent sleep for me. My undiagnosed AHI is 40. I really like the Resmed F10, extremely light and easy to put on, but puzzled with leak issues. Have good fit on my face with seal, hose not leaking. I do feel that air pressure coming out from elbow fitting where it connects to found hole on mask, have read that this is intentional leak designed in mask. Any have recommendations I could try or have similar experience with the Airfit F10. I thought about using liners to see if it would help...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Resmed Airfit Mask F10 FFM Leaks increases AHI level???
How long have you used the F10? Your increase in AHI may be just an adaptation if it is only one or 2 nights. On the other hand your mouth movements during sleep may be causing leaks that you are not aware of. This happened to me with my Mirage Quattro FFM. I started using a chin strap to reduce dry mouth and presto amazo my leak rates are a bunch of zeroes. Improved the dry mouth too.

As far as I know mask liners do not reduce the measured leaks. They reduce the effects of leaks that you can feel or hear.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi rvlasek,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAp therapy and good luck finding a mask that works well for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton, liners help with leaks. When the mask is on correctly, I have very few leaks when I use a liner. Without it, I have major leakage.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2016, 09:10 PM)PaytonA Wrote: As far as I know mask liners do not reduce the measured leaks. They reduce the effects of leaks that you can feel or hear.

mask liners *can* help with leaks... they don't make a better seal, I mean, after all, silicone to skin is going to leak nothing, put some cloth in there and you'll get a wee bit... the main help is that without the mask liner, you may get slippage on the silicone/skin interface, then you get a big leak where the seal comes loose. whereas with a liner, the cushion will often stay in place better.... thus fewer big leaks. at least, that's how it worked for me Wink

make sense?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-24-2016, 08:48 PM)rvlasek Wrote: Bought a new Resmed F10 to use on my Resmed Autosense S10 APAP. Thinking it help to reduce my AHI down, doing just the opposite. I Have been using the FISHER and Paykel Flexfit 431 FFM. With the new F10 mask my median AHI is 8 with median leak rate at 7.2, and feel lousy next day. With the old mask the Fisher Paykel my median AHI is 3.3 with median leak rate of 0.0., excellent sleep for me. My undiagnosed AHI is 40. I really like the Resmed F10, extremely light and easy to put on, but puzzled with leak issues. Have good fit on my face with seal, hose not leaking. I do feel that air pressure coming out from elbow fitting where it connects to found hole on mask, have read that this is intentional leak designed in mask. Any have recommendations I could try or have similar experience with the Airfit F10. I thought about using liners to see if it would help...

Been using new mask, F10 for 7 days. but went back to Fisher Paykel, frustrated with measured leak rate and high AHI...thanks for feedback..
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you possibly wearing the straps too tight? The F10 is designed to float on the cushion and not to be help tight against the face. Try wearing it as lose as you can with no leak. And yes, the vent at the connection is intentional and it not counted in the leakage. (Be sure you have the mask type set to FFM also in the machines settings)
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an F10 and like it. I second FrankNichols' comment about not over-tightening the straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my case, I started with a nasal mask, found it hard to sleep with so I rapidly switched to a full face. At first was happy cause at least I could get more sleep with it. However my jaw drops and in order to not have jaw leaks, i had to tighten a lot and this eventually lead to sore nose and much higher AHI, mainly OAs. Then I needed higher pressures to treat the induced OAs from this overtightening, which lead to more leaks, more tightening and... more OA's. Basically, I could sleep with the mask on but felt worse during the day than before cpap. This phenomeneon is well described here

http://sleeptechnologists.org/article/view/659

The result for me was a huge difference in needed pressures and leakage efficiency between nasal and full face so I eventually came back to nasal and forced myself to get used to it. I am now starting to sleep well with the nasal and I also wear a mouthguard to prevent my jaw from dropping and this helps clear my airway a lot. I have never understood why in the litterature it is always presented as a choice to either go CPAP or use a dental device. Why not use a dental device that is not too agressive and does not aim to fully cure your apnea but simply to allow you to bring down your pressure requirement and leaks? It works for me so my advice to you is to try to get used to something else than a full face ( which should always IMO be considered as a last resort) and try to bring down your pressure requirements in any way that works for you (nasal sprays, anti snoring device, inclined bed, side sleeping, chin strap etc...). Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tried three Face masks, Amara View, Quattro Air and last night the AirFit F10. For me they all seem to have the same problem, they have very low leakage rate (6 to 7) when pressure is below 10. When flow limits rise (flow rate inhalation flat topping) the algorithm increases pressure which in my case eventually creates large mask leaks around side of mouth and bridge of nose. Tightening up the lower straps reduces the leakage but results in discomfort and defeats the floating on pillow affect FrankNichols mentioned. Perhaps need to use liners.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,154 17 minutes ago
Last Post: car54
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  AirFit F30i Mask Problem OldTeacher 22 4,569 03-23-2024, 03:23 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Bi-Level Help, Prisma 25ST Macka 0 85 03-21-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Macka
  [CPAP] PRISMA SMART MAX PROBLEMS WITH SOFTPAP LEVEL 2 rretamalt 18 2,009 03-19-2024, 06:17 PM
Last Post: motivationalGust
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 139 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.