Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Resmed Airsense 10 Machine smell? Please help!
New Resmed Airsense 10 Machine smell? Please help!
I just received my first cpap machiine two days ago, and last night was my first night to try using it because there were issues with my pressure that had to be resolved first.   Now that those issues are resolved and I was able to wear my mask last night, I am struggling with the smell that my machine is putting out.   It smells like ozone, really strong ozone.  After 2.5 hours of it, I had to take it off and quit because the smell and whatever it is that I was breathing in was making me feel worse.   I never had an issue with smell or anything during my sleep study, and I am new to all this .  I have a slew of other health issues and I can't afford to be breathing in something I shouldn't.   I am very very senstive to all chemicals, so I have to be very careful with everything.  

I called my DME and Resmed, and neither had a clue to the smells nor offered me any help.   I am at a loss, and I don't know what to do, but I can't wear it like this.   My machine is a Resmed Airsense 10 and my mask is a pilow mask Resmed Air P10.

Does anybody know why a brand new machine would smell like this?  Any advice on what to do about it?   I am at a loss and desperate to figure this out!!   Thanks so much for any input!!! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Resmed Airsense 10 Machine smell? Please help!
A new machine has smells from new plastics and materials that pretty rapidly dissipate with use. Changing to a new tube or mask can give off some "new" odors, but a complete brand-new system definitely is noticeable. Some people are far more sensitive than others. Complete cleaning of the humidifier chamber, tube and mask, using a non-aromatic soap, vinegar or oxyclean solution, and complete rinsing can help reduce these odors. Letting your machine run to dry out the tube and mask will further dissipate any odor. You will need to disable the auto-start feature to do this.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your reply!   How do I disable the auto settings?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are able to sit it out in direct sunshine outdoors in the fresh air, that should help. It's gonna take longer than a few hours, possibly a good day or two.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the machine brand new, or used? Some DMEs send out used machines, and they may have a smell from their previous environment or how they were cleaned.

Are you using the heated humidifier? I've noticed on all of my machines, Respironics and Resmed, put out a bad smell if I let the humidifier run dry. I guess it is the plastic getting a bit hotter than intended when there's no water. It's bad enough to wake me up for sure. If you're using the humidifier, make sure to fill it each night before use.

Can't think of anything else... But others will surely offer some additional ideas. Welcome to the forum!
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my machine from my DME, and it is supposed to be a new machine.   Surely they wouldn't give me a used or refurbished one without telling me?!?  Also, as of now, I'm not using the humidifier at all because for some reason I breathe better without it.  I have turned off the humidifier in the settings.   Hope this helps!  Thanks for the warm welcojme!  So thankful to have found this forum!! Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I just confirmed my machine is indeed new and not refurbished.  Hope this helps!
Post Reply Post Reply
After doing the suggested soap and water cleaning, leave it running for a day with the hose and mask connected. You may be smelling plasticizer from the plastics and foam, similar to a new car smell. The constant airflow should flush out most of the smell.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you haven't yet ordered a Clinicians manual, get it HERE
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I sure will!! Thank you!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 0 23 1 hour ago
Last Post: Rickyricardo
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,409 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 291 264,360 04-15-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Poolboy
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 263 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 131 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 174 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 317 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.