Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Resmed App
RE: New Resmed App
(07-09-2018, 08:16 AM)srcpt Wrote: Having had two lab based sleep studies, I seriously doubt their validity versus sleeping at home with no wires or tubes attached and no one leering at me through a camera.

I suppose you could be quite correct, but you comprise an n of only 1. When those doing the hard science start looking objectively at empirical data, the data tell them that polysomnography assessments are better than guessing and personal assessments.  Even if the polysomnography points to OSA when the client hasn't slept well, or much at all, the PAP machine will tell the tale over the next several nights.  If it records an acceptable AHI with settings between 6-14, for example, is that because the machine is also wrong?  If the machine were set at 4 and 8, say, and recorded a very low AHI, it still might be the correct treatment....for you.  If set that low and stated you had an AHI of 12, would it be mistaken, or only if it disagreed with the prescription?  IOW, we look at what we have, assume that there is some measurable AHI, and we attempt a correction with PAP.  Eventually, perhaps with some minor changes to the pressures, we'll get the AHI down to under 5, while many of us do much better.

Statistical validity is a measure of efficacy and predictability.  So far, polysomnography assessments do far better across populations willing to submit to them, generally, than anecdotal evidence.  Why?  Because if done correctly by the technician, they offer more consistency and reliability up front across cases.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Resmed App
(07-09-2018, 08:16 AM)srcpt Wrote: srcptHaving had two lab based sleep studies, I seriously doubt their validity versus sleeping at home with no wires or tubes attached and no one leering at me through a camera.

My lab study wasn't very representative, either. The sample of one night, split in two, gives such a brief snapshot of variable data. I do wonder if multiple nights of home actigraphy might not give a better summary of than a PSG of a single sample of sleep in a lab under less than optimal conditions? The trade off is that more data isn't necessarily better. More sound data is better. So I don't know - especially given that the correlation of actigraphy to PSG might not hold up as well for people who have sleep disorders.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.