Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Resmed Escape Auto or Used Resmed S9 autoset
New Resmed Escape Auto or Used Resmed S9 autoset
I'm in the process or getting a CPAP machine I have an opportunity to get a new Resmed Escape Auto or a used Resmed S9 autoset with 4800 hours. I realized the biggest difference is the amount of data that is stored. How important is that data for me. Should I go for the new escape or used S9 autoset.
Quick responses would be greatly appreciated, I have to make a quick decision.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Resmed Escape Auto or Used Resmed S9 autoset
(02-19-2013, 05:26 PM)oljim2112 Wrote: How important is that data for me. Should I go for the new escape or used S9 autoset.
Data is very important for you and your doctor to monitor and see how the treatment is working
avoid S9 Escape Auto ... go with S9 AutoSet

have you checked Supplier #2
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi oljim2112,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What zonk said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi zonk

Are you saying to get the S9 AutoSet Even though it has 4800 hours. Both of these machines are going to be purchased from individuals for $200-$300. I don't have insurance to cover a CPAP machine.
Is the Escape Auto a bad machine to get? Are there other CPAP machines that you might recommend.
Thanks for the quick responce
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 06:58 PM)oljim2112 Wrote: Is the Escape Auto a bad machine to get? Are there other CPAP machines that you might recommend.
Thanks for the quick responce
any Resmed machine with Escape in the name is bad
also any Respironcis machine with plus in the name including 150, 250 and SE models are bad too

Archangle:Machine Choices
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 06:58 PM)oljim2112 Wrote: Are you saying to get the S9 AutoSet Even though it has 4800 hours. Both of these machines are going to be purchased from individuals for $200-$300.

I would definitely get the AutoSet.

Quote:Is the Escape Auto a bad machine to get?

Not a bad machine, it's just that it gives you no data. You'll have no idea if your machine is helping you or hurting you. If you're lucky and have no problems and don't care about your health beyond that, you can go with the Escape.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 05:26 PM)oljim2112 Wrote: I'm in the process or getting a CPAP machine I have an opportunity to get a new Resmed Escape Auto or a used Resmed S9 autoset with 4800 hours. I realized the biggest difference is the amount of data that is stored. How important is that data for me. Should I go for the new escape or used S9 autoset.

Any data that is not your own can be purged. A new and a used AutoSet side by side will look (nearly) identical. Go with it. And of course the SD card can easily be re-formatted. Ready to go for your own use.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 07:15 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Not a bad machine, it's just that it gives you no data. You'll have no idea if your machine is helping you or hurting you. If you're lucky and have no problems and don't care about your health beyond that, you can go with the Escape.

+1
Without a data-capable (efficacy data is the term, I think), you won't know how you are doing with sleep interruptions. Your only criteria will be "do I feel better" and your doctor will be experimenting on your settings with no basis other than you telling him how you feel.

Post Reply Post Reply
AutoSet.

NO question.

End of story unless it's broken or looks really abused. I'd probably even take a smoker's AutoSet over an Escape Auto. I'd run it for several days hoping the stench would mellow out a bit over time.

Once you get adjusted to the machine, and know you have the right settings, keep your eye out for a good deal on another used S9 AutoSet, PRS1 Auto, or even a lesser machine as a backup.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-20-2013, 01:00 AM)archangle Wrote: AutoSet.

NO question.

End of story unless it's broken or looks really abused.

Hi oljim2112, welcome to the forum!

What Archangle said. Precisely.

What machine to buy:
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Keep in mind that with any used machine, whether fairly new or older, you should clean it well (without getting even 1 drop of water inside the blower unit!), and change the air inlet filter if it does not look new (the "extra fine" or "hypoalergenic" filters are best), and wash any masks and hoses and water chambers well with hand soap or detergent, and rinse very well.

We're not talking about cleaning only when you first get it. The mask should be washed at least weekly, and the hose at least monthly, and rinsed and hung out to dry well. For best avoidance of leaks, it is often best to wash the mask daily and rinse well, and the same for washing your face at bedtime, of course, because any oil will tend to cause leaks.

New hoses can be purchased on line for less than $10 (heated hoses are a lot more, though), and air inlet filters are about $1 to $4 each, depending on where you buy them.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Introducing the ResMed AirFit F40 MrIvanDrago 50 3,154 19 minutes ago
Last Post: car54
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 70 25,806 3 hours ago
Last Post: her.suit
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 418 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  Transitioning from ResMed to Lowenstein Prisma 20A SakimaStorm 2 100 Yesterday, 02:38 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  Resmed AS10 vs AS11. Are hoses/filters interchangable? plpauly 2 92 03-26-2024, 08:30 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Impact of Resmed P10 on Nostrils ivan007 1 74 03-26-2024, 10:45 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Much worse sleep with ResMed? Jookia 8 182 03-25-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.