Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Resmed Machine - Help Dialing in Settings
New Resmed Machine - Help Dialing in Settings
Hi all!

I've moved over to a ResMed AirSense 10 from a Phillips machine.  Attached is a night in Oscar.  Curious to know what adjustments to make to:

1) Ramp - on or off?
2) Pressure range - what is the ideal pressure range?
3) Thoughts on EPR - Right now, I have it set to 2
4) Anything to be concerned about with the leak rate?

Thanks for everyone's help!  This is an amazing community.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Resmed Machine - Help Dialing in Settings
I would recommend that you turn off the ramp.  It is not doing you any favors.  I would increase your pressure minimum to 7 cm.  This is usually the lowest pressure that an adult will not feel suffocated.  

The EPR is different from the Flex mode and provides a straight exhale pressure reduction equal to its value in centimeters.  With an EPR of 2, means that your exhale pressure will always be 2 cm lower than your inhale pressure, with an absolute minimum exhale pressure of always being 4 cm.  Your CAs could be the result of this pressure difference and may subside in time.  Based on your flow limit and the few CAs that you are experiencing, I would leave it alone for now.  

You currently have your maximum pressure set to the machine's maximum.  For a safety catch, I would drop it down to around 12 cm.   That will allow enough pressure in reserve if you may need it, and also prevent your CPAP from turning into a leaf blower if you chin tuck, and tries to overcome the obstruction.

Your leak rate is well enough below the 24 L/min that Resmed specifies. While I try to control all leaks, yours is nothing to be alarmed about.

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2021, 02:10 PM)Thedudefino Wrote: Hi all!

I've moved over to a ResMed AirSense 10 from a Phillips machine.  Attached is a night in Oscar.  Curious to know what adjustments to make to:

1) Ramp - on or off?
2) Pressure range - what is the ideal pressure range?
3) Thoughts on EPR - Right now, I have it set to 2
4) Anything to be concerned about with the leak rate?

Thanks for everyone's help!  This is an amazing community.
1)If you didn't have ramp on DS1 or if you dont need ramp.  Off is best.  At least turn the time way down 15.  Goal is no ramp.
2)Well no ideal humans.  What was the pressure from your sleep study?  I would start with 7 - 16
3)EPR is fine at 2. 

Maybe post some OSCAR from the old DS1 just to compare to.

Your numbers look good.  What were they on the DS1?

How do you feel is the question?
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
What I'd do is first turn off Ramp. ResMed automatically starts on Ramp every machine start, if you have any Ramp set. It's not on a Ramp button like Respironics.

Second, if the Centrals are low like this, below 1.0, they're not expected to be an issue. Hypopnea are a bit greater than CA on this chart and I'd opt to treat those instead. But again these are quite low in count, also below 1.0.

I would consider increasing min pressure to 6 to allow EPR 2 more room. As is now, EPR can't act fully until min pressure increases to 6.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your min is at 5. That is usually to low for an adult. I need at least 9 or I’m pulling off my mask. As another post said 4 is the absolute min the machine will go. You have your at 5. EPR subtracts from the min for your exhale pressure. Your EPR is set at 2. Because it can not go below your EPR can only be at 1.

I would suggest min 7
ESP 3
Giving you an exhale of 4.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, everyone!

Here's what I'm going to do:

1) Set minimum pressure to 7
2) Set maximum pressure to 12
3) Turn off ramp
4) Keep EPR at 2

Will track down my Phillips Oscar data....
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds good

Report back tomorrow with details of how you slept and feel. Include a Oscar daily details as well.
Thank you,
Brent aka Factor

Just a Regular guy.
My untreated AHI was 87.  You can do it hang in there.
"You can if you will"   Jerry Kramer

Got OSCAR?
Organize Charts
Optimizing Therapy

My Story
Post Reply Post Reply
Attached is from my Phillips machine.  Some call outs:

1) My doctor eventually set the max pressure to 10 even though the range in this screenshot is 5-20.  We looked at past data and the Philips rarely went above 8 in autopap mode.  So 10 seemed like enough clearance.  This didn't really have an effect on the AHI score.

2) What is variable breathing?  That seems to be something Philips logs but ResMed does not.  

3) the AHI from my phillips is pretty typical.  It usually ranged from 2.5-4.5. 

Any thoughts on this chart versus the ResMed?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 93 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,347 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Equipment] Are the ResMed Aircurve 10 S and ResMed Aircurve 10 VAuto the "exact same machine"? kkjacks 3 267 02-20-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: kkjacks
  Central apnea, graphs' meaning and ASV machine settings GT26 4 247 02-09-2024, 12:11 PM
Last Post: GT26
  Help dialing in Stillglade 3 372 01-12-2024, 10:00 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] Oscar/ Dialing in Settings / ResMed 11 Jintyo76 2 319 01-10-2024, 11:50 PM
Last Post: Jintyo76
  Resmed ASV settings for mild sleep apnea and UARS? Gettingbetter33 3 491 01-10-2024, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.