Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Resmed S9 Autoset, clicking sound
New Resmed S9 Autoset, clicking sound
I am very happily celebrating 5 months of CPAP use. I couldn't afford one initially so I picked up a high mileage Resmed S8 Escape this past January from a friend. Last week I bought a new Resmed S9 Autoset and it is superb. I noticed that the machine constantly makes a clicking sound as long as it has power applied to it. It is fairly faint however it can be a little annoying. The clicking sound like a relay that within the H5i humidifier. If I detach the humidifier, then the clicking sound stops. I don't understand why it must do that when the machine is in the standby mode. The heater plate on the humidifier is cold, so I'm not sure what is going on. I am using the basic Slimline hose (not the heated hose). Any thoughts? Thanks, Jay
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Resmed S9 Autoset, clicking sound
Jay this has been mentioned before.... I want to remember that it has to do with where the machine is placed. But I'm not sure. Where do you have the machine? It should be roughly bed height, not on the floor for instance.

Someone else will come along that may recall this situation better for you.

So hang in there until dawn breaks, and the apneaics come back out of their caves.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 12:35 AM)retired_guy Wrote: Jay this has been mentioned before.... I want to remember that it has to do with where the machine is placed. But I'm not sure. Where do you have the machine? It should be roughly bed height, not on the floor for instance.

Someone else will come along that may recall this situation better for you.

So hang in there until dawn breaks, and the apneaics come back out of their caves.

Hi retired_guy,

I have my machine a few inches above bed level and it's close to me while I'm in bed. I can also hear it clicking while the machine in running however the noise of the machine almost swamps it out.

Thanks, Jay

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Audible clicking is not normal. Are you also running a Climateline (heated) tube?

Just because the clicking quits when the humidifier is removed, doesn't necessarily mean the problem is in the humidifier since the humidifier and Climateline tube are controlled by the S-9 flow generator (blower). You could try a different H5i unit and it might fix it. If you do and it quits clicking then you will probably have isolated the problem.

You don't say you bought it off CL or other source so I assume you got it from a licensed DME through a Resemed distribution channel. If so, I would take it back or send it back - it's under warranty.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Analogdesigner,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I think that clicking sound has to do with the humidifier turning on and off. I hear it on mine too, but it's not really loud enough to be of concern for me.
hang in there for more answers to your question.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAp therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 10:42 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Analogdesigner,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I think that clicking sound has to do with the humidifier turning on and off. I hear it on mine too, but it's not really loud enough to be of concern for me.

Hi trish6hundred,

Thank you for your comments. I did some further research and discovered that the early S9's didn't make this clicking sound. The claim is that a software update implemented a while back was responsible for this clicking sound. I want others to know that this clicking occurs once every five to fifteen seconds and it is very subtle. I use the standard Slimline hose, not the heated hose. I wonder how cycles that the relay is good for until it wears out? The sound is coming from the humidifier, not the blower unit. Thanks, Jay

Post Reply Post Reply
My S9 does not make any clicks but been said the clicks is something to do with humidifier thermostat or something of that nature
AirSense 10 does not clicks
Post Reply Post Reply
Analogdesigner: What a "cool" manometer. And, it's analog.

And, you're certainly not using a climateline hose.

Hey, what's that Digital thermometer doing there?

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-04-2015, 10:12 PM)Analogdesigner Wrote:
(05-04-2015, 10:42 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi Analogdesigner,
WELCOME! to the forum.!

Hi trish6hundred,

Thank you for your comments. I did some further research and discovered that the early S9's didn't make this clicking sound. The claim is that a software update implemented a while back was responsible for this clicking sound. I want others to know that this clicking occurs once every five to fifteen seconds and it is very subtle. I use the standard Slimline hose, not the heated hose. I wonder how cycles that the relay is good for until it wears out? The sound is coming from the humidifier, not the blower unit. Thanks, Jay

Hi, just want to throw in my 2 cents worth; I use the very same machine with the climate line and it also makes a very faint ticking/clicking noise from the humidifier. I've had it for a couple of years now and it hasn't done the machine any harm, nor is it loud enough to disturb me, can hardly hear it Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2015, 05:01 AM)justMongo Wrote: Analogdesigner: What a "cool" manometer. And, it's analog.

And, you're certainly not using a climateline hose.

Hey, what's that Digital thermometer doing there?

Mongo

Hi justMongo,

Yes, I found this new manometer on eBay and it was calibrated in cm/h2o. It's made by Dwyer Instruments (with Puritan Bennett's name on the scale). It even came with the 22mm adapter to insert in series with my hose. It has extremely fast response time even though it's mechanical and has superb damping!

The digital thermometer is actually a dual channel thermometer/humidity gauge that I bought from a company in Japan. The top row of numbers is the temp/relative humidity of my room and the lower row is the temp/relative humidity of the air coming out of my machine. The sensor is inside of an old bacterial/viral filter (you can see it inline with my hose behind my machine) that I had cut into two halves in my machine shop. It causes very little restriction. I learned a lot about how to set my humidifier when I had my older S8 Escape!

Thanks, Jay

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 27 507 33 minutes ago
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 125 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  White/Brown Sound? MoneyPit1946 7 192 03-16-2024, 10:49 AM
Last Post: MoneyPit1946
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 488 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 218 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,243 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  ASV machine making weird sound on startup and when mask is disconnected kc90 7 288 02-08-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: kc90

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.