Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

How do I structure a routine of increasing mask compliance on a daily basis?
How do I structure a routine of increasing mask compliance on a daily basis?
One of my big problems now is compliance. One night I fall asleep with the mask, but experience mouth "popping" that wakes me up. Some nights I take mask off. Some nights I can't even fall asleep with it.

I am practicing sleep hygiene by keeping my room cool at 68f or below, total blackout etc. But it feels like shots in the dark. I can't point out to the origin of my compliance issues. I just try different things but there is no order to them.

I would like my therapy to look like a workout routine. In a workout you know by how much weight you are supposed to increase with each day. You have a percentage for deloads. You know how much protein to eat. When you can't finish a lift, you know "how to fail the lift" properly so you wouldn't cause yourself injuries. It would be great to plot along such a structure, but instead of the goal being "increase muscle mass", the goal would be "increase CPAP therapy compliance".

Certain guidelines like if X happens, respond with Y. If A fails, try out B. If I can't place my finger on what causes A, then I should try to eliminate B,C and D which may be at fault. Sure I could google all of that, but when you are sleep deprived for god knows how long, your brain just doesnt work. I would like a "braindead-proof" procedure I could follow when I am too tired to help myself out.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I structure a routine of increasing mask compliance on a daily basis?
It can be hard to get used to using your CPAP machine.

We can better help you if you will download OSCAR and post some screenshots of your data. Links to the software and instructions on organizing and posting your charts are in my signature. Your data will tell us whether our not the mouth popping you referenced are mouth leaks.

A pressure of 4cm is too low for some people. Most users do better with pressures around 7cm.

Using your machine while watching tv, etc. will help you get used to it. Using the machine while awake will also help with compliance bykeeping your usage time up. Over the counter melatonin can help you get to sleep and, if you use a timed release tablet, will help you stay asleep. I use 10mg of melatonin as needed.

It will also help members help you if you will keep all therapy related questions in this thread.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How do I structure a routine of increasing mask compliance on a daily basis?
I agree with MitchS. I had to get used to the mask and pressures by trying to increase time sitting with mask on reading. Then as that time increased, so did sleep time with the mask on. If I ever took the mask off during the night, I put it back on as soon as it was noticed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  AHI increasing and centrals michaelyu15 0 82 04-08-2024, 10:18 AM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 193 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 312 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 304 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,597 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Insurance Compliance and Changing My Own Pressure Brennie 3 452 11-27-2023, 10:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  AIRVIEW Daily reports Opus1 3 466 11-22-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.