Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Rx effects on overall sleep
RE: New Rx effects on overall sleep
Other than the number of them, has anything else in the pattern of them changed? Have they always been in big clumps like that?

It looks as though you are rolling onto your back. The machine immediately tries to compensate but can't because it can't go high enough. After a while, you start having events until you wake up and, most likely, roll off your back.

Nudge the pressure up again to 13 then leave it for a while. Let everything continue to settle. Unless your AHI continues its climb non-stop, just leave it alone for now. You are introducing too many variables.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2016, 12:27 AM)chill Wrote: This is what I get, also happily without any pain.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotoma#/m...cotoma.gif

I get those too, and the gif captures the effect pretty well. Never any pain, at least so far. My doctor knows about it but doesn't think it is a significant problem.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2016, 09:46 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: ...My doctor knows about it but doesn't think it is a significant problem.

Actually, migraine is a risk factor for stroke. If you have migraines, learn the stroke risk factors, plus the signs of a stroke.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2016, 09:14 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Other than the number of them, has anything else in the pattern of them changed? Have they always been in big clumps like that?...

Yes, the events typically clump when I having lots of them.
I do sleep on my back most of the time as it is the most comfortable position for my connective tissue disease. Sleeping on my side can be painful.

The 3 things I changed on the CPAP for last night was to increase the
Starting pressure to 8 cm from 7.6 cm
Minimum to 10 cm from 8.6 cm
Maximum to 12 cm from 11.6 cm
And that was after 8 days at the same levels.

And I've been at the same dose of the lamotrigine for about 10 days. With the more than 24 hour half life, it is continuing to build up in the blood stream until it gets close to a steady state.
How it builds:
day dose cumulative level
1 50 50.0
2 50 75.0
3 50 87.5
4 50 93.8
5 50 96.9
6 50 98.4
7 50 99.2
8 50 99.6
9 50 99.8
10 50 99.9 <-- Where I am now
11 50 100.0
12 50 100.0
13 50 100.0
14 50 100.0

The next step up is supposed to be to a 100 mg dose.

Post Reply Post Reply
Slowly beating the AHI back down.

I'm moving the Rx time early a couple hours at a time, so it may have less impact on the AHI. I'm supposed to increase the dose in 3 days; not sure that is a good idea, though, since it screwed up the AHI.

The pressure settings are now:
10.0 cm minimum (I could probably raise this up to 11.0 cm, since I never stay much lower)
13.0 cm maximum (I'll give it a few more days, then possibly increase it to 14.0 cm)

Week overview here

Last night here

Post Reply Post Reply
The drug you are on is known to increase REM sleep. If you have more OA's while dreaming (common) this would be a likely cause of increased AHI.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-23-2016, 10:53 PM)Beej Wrote:
(12-23-2016, 09:46 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: ...My doctor knows about it but doesn't think it is a significant problem.

Actually, migraine is a risk factor for stroke. If you have migraines, learn the stroke risk factors, plus the signs of a stroke.

Well I don't get migraines, I just get scintillating scotomas (love that phrase). When I first reported these to my previous GP he did have me in for a scan of my brain and the arteries leading to it. He has since retired.

I have plenty of risk factors for everything, being old, fat, diabetic and, oh yeah, ugly. So far I've made 72 without any strokes or heart attacks, but no doubt they will arrive eventually. Maybe the ugly is keeping them at bay...
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2016, 11:48 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: ...Well I don't get migraines, I just get scintillating scotomas (love that phrase). ...

Um ... I believe those are migraines. Migraine does not equal headache, although many people with headache brought on by migraine have linked the two. Migraine is believed to be cortical spreading depression in the brain - an electro-chemical issue.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-27-2016, 11:44 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: The drug you are on is known to increase REM sleep. If you have more OA's while dreaming (common) this would be a likely cause of increased AHI.

Thank you. That is helpful. I've been reading so much on it, that one slipped by. Another drug I am on, protriptyline, tends to reduce REM sleep, which keeps the sleep less deep and was initially prescribed for a mixed central apnea. Maybe the two will balance out!

Last night's AHI was down to 1.2 on ResScan, so I am making progress. Moving it earlier in the day seems to have been helpful, along with increasing the maximum pressure.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 512 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 221 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 251 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,414 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  Digestive side effects of CPAP use davide.fez 1 489 08-27-2023, 12:00 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Adding EPR had unexpected effects TiredTom111 12 1,666 08-18-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 832 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.