Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Set-Up First Night Tonight!
RE: New Set-Up First Night Tonight!
The conventional wisdom concerning CPAP heated humidification is that one will use more water during the winter when the heat is on and drying the air out.

I, on the other hand, have been using more water this summer than I did last winter. I was using less than 1/2 tank of water during the winter and about 3/4 tank this summer.I can not compare my settings because I use standard tubing this summer and last winter I used climateline tubing set to auto at 83 degrees F. This summer I am operating my humidifier at a setting of 5.5 to keep down the dry mouth. I tried taking it down a notch the other night and had to put it right back up before the night was over.

Weird!

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much! I talked to my Resp Tech and told her and she said to start at 6 as well....I will turn down the humidity tonight and see how that works..I wasn't sure where to start so dialled 4 thinking I didn't want to dry out....
(07-15-2015, 02:57 PM)sans nap Wrote: Kakkles - I have about the same setup you do. A different mask, but very similar and the very same machine. Initially the ramp on my machine began at 4 and I also felt suffocated. Get it changed asap or do it yourself. My ramp was changed to begin at 6.5 and the ramp period reduced to 5 minutes that was MUCH better. Regarding the water tank... 4 seems high, mine is at 2 and I use about 1/3 of a tank per night. Stick with it, you will get this dialed in and feel soooo much better.
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi OpalROse,

Thanks for the instructions! When I went to the numbers it says 7 Day average? I just started last night?

But it said:

Large Leaks: 0%
AHI: 1.0
Hrs Sleep: 8
90% Pressure: 10.5

Does that make sense to you? The 8 hrs sleep does to me Wink but the rest I am not sure what it means for me.

Would you be so kind to explain? Thanks in advance!

(07-15-2015, 03:05 PM)OpalRose Wrote:
(07-15-2015, 01:18 PM)Kakkles Wrote: Hello...I have no clue what it was and not sure how to find out? lol..sorry I'm not very crafty on these machines...I don't have sleepyhead downloaded or anything like that. This is a trial machine and not my own yet...i don't even know if it has a SD card in it..the Tech put a modem on it to monitor my progress ...thats about all I know..and how to turn it on and off...

I think the humidifier size would be comparable give or take 50 mls? I did look it up online and the Resmed For Her was 380mls and all i could find for the PR was 325 mls..for the machine I am using..
I had filled the water tank only 3/4 full last night and used it all...setting on 4.

Is there an easy way to check AHI that I could do so I could let you know?

I do know I had some leaks last night but with repositioning they went away as far as I know....(once I was asleep who knows)

The humidity here in my room is at 56%...

(07-15-2015, 12:41 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Just curious what your AHI reading was for the night.

I also use the same machine and love it, but never tried the Resmed. I believe either the Machine you are trying out now or the resmed for her have pretty much the same features. Either one would be a good choice.

Don't know anything about the size of the humidifier in the Resmed units, but my system one lasts all night. Never ran out of water, but use less during the summer months here in Ohio.

Good luck with your therapy! Smile

Kakkles,
You find the AHI, hours of sleep, 90% pressure, etc. on the display screen on top of your machine.
Just turn the dial to highlight info, then press the round dial once.
Now turn the dial and you will see various readings. This will not change any settings, just give you info.
When done, scroll down to where it says "back", and press round knob once. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks PaytonA.....that does make sense re Summer vs Winter...but odd you had the reverse usage? I think I will try 3 tonight and see how it goes. I felt pretty comfortable at 4, but had a bit of water in my nasal mask this morning and I could feel it when I breathed in and out...the tubing was moist as well....maybe thats normal? Its just the regular tubing.

Do you find in the winter the heated tubing is more comfortable to use than the regular? Would you consider using heated tubing all year round? OR do you find it best to use regular in summer and heated in winter only?

(07-15-2015, 04:24 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The conventional wisdom concerning CPAP heated humidification is that one will use more water during the winter when the heat is on and drying the air out.

I, on the other hand, have been using more water this summer than I did last winter. I was using less than 1/2 tank of water during the winter and about 3/4 tank this summer.I can not compare my settings because I use standard tubing this summer and last winter I used climateline tubing set to auto at 83 degrees F. This summer I am operating my humidifier at a setting of 5.5 to keep down the dry mouth. I tried taking it down a notch the other night and had to put it right back up before the night was over.

Weird!

Best Regards,

PaytonA
Post Reply Post Reply
At 1 I feel dried out in the morning.
At 2 my mask and hose are only lightly moist and there's no visible water. My sinuses, nose and mouth aren;t dried out in the morning.
At 3 everything is a bit soggy and I have occasional rain out and I've never tried 4.

I haven't found the need to a heated hose. The water in your tank is heated a bit to get it into the blown air.

My bedroom is kept fairly cool and my climate is a bit drier than yours so you may need to experiment. A fleece hose cover helps regulate hose temp in my experience.

Change one thing at a time if you can to see which changes make an improvement. Go from 4 to 3 for a night or two and then try again if you aren't happy. I suspect that changing the ramp settings is going to make a world of difference in your comfort. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 09:40 AM)Kakkles Wrote: how do you find the water tank? Is it big enough to get you through the night? I used 3/4 of my water last night, first night, and the water was gone in the morning. I heard the A10 has a smaller tank. Just curious. My setting was at 4.

(07-14-2015, 04:56 PM)sleepybeaver Wrote: I'm not familiar with the Philips Respironics
RemStar Auto A-Flex System One. I'm sure someone here can help you with that
machine..I use the A10 autoset and I can tell you I love it. Good luck with you treatment.
I have the humidifier set at 3....on the A10 the humidity settings are between 1 and 8....I have the climate line with the temp. Set at 73 deg. It uses about 1/4 of the tank.

It's exactly like that. . . . only totally different. . . . Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
The only reason that I do not use the climateline hose all year around is that I am paying for it so far and I am trying to extend the hose life. I find the climateline hose on my Resmed S0 auto to be the bomb. Once I find the auto setting that I need, I don't have to mess with it again.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Second night: slept better than first! Smile

AHI: 0.8
90% pressure: 10.5
Large leaks: 0%
Sleep hrs: 8.5

I put the humidifier to 3 and that was better, and I used 3/4 of a full tank. No wetness in mask. Had a few small leaks with mask, but it's working quite well!

Still have slight headache when I wake up.

Overall I am pleased I am sleeping pretty good with it.
Post Reply Post Reply
excellent progress!

You will note that the 7 day is more accurate than the 1 day - something about when the machine's internal clock says you changed days (one oddity with the PR systems)

If you only have used it 3 days, then the 7 day number is the average of the 3 days. gradually this increases to encompass a full 7 days.

90% pressure is an indication that the pressure (readjusting throughout the night) was between start pressure (5) and this pressure (10.5) for 90% of the time.

Your AHI is fantastic. But what is even better is that you feel great.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks QAL. 3rd night , right now, I am awake at 5:30. Couldn't fall back to sleep but will try again here.
I do find during the day I am tired somewhat, like I need to catch up on more sleep. But I don't want to nap during day cause then I won't sleep at night.

(07-17-2015, 06:48 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: excellent progress!

You will note that the 7 day is more accurate than the 1 day - something about when the machine's internal clock says you changed days (one oddity with the PR systems)

If you only have used it 3 days, then the 7 day number is the average of the 3 days. gradually this increases to encompass a full 7 days.

90% pressure is an indication that the pressure (readjusting throughout the night) was between start pressure (5) and this pressure (10.5) for 90% of the time.

Your AHI is fantastic. But what is even better is that you feel great.

QAL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iNAP First Night Test Tonight (Running with APAP) Apnea23 4 1,212 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scowell
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 850 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 897 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
Sad [CPAP] Need help tonight Chavonda67 1 431 11-01-2022, 09:25 PM
Last Post: KeepSmiling
  Came home to a surprise tonight! speed3914 7 1,237 09-20-2021, 10:21 AM
Last Post: factor
  Question re: Virtuox Ultra test with RemStar Auto A-Flex tonight. Help, please. Helena 2 822 08-30-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: Helena
  [Pressure] Titration study last night - Recommended settings for tonight? trialNerror 5 788 06-13-2021, 01:26 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.