Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Settings For AirCurve 10
New Settings For AirCurve 10
Hello everyone, this is my first post to this forum. I have been treated for obstructive and Central apnea, along with restless leg syndrome, for about five years. 

I had my 7th or 8th sleep study in April, and just received my results. I am attempting to make the settings changes to the ResMed aircurve 10 ASV, and I'm having a little bit of difficulty interpreting the doctor's orders.

To paraphrase:
Inspiratory pressure of 22cm, rate of 11cm, and an expiratory pressure of 7cm.

Auto servo-ventilator at pressures of 
I=22/11cm
E=7cm

The settings of the machine allow:
EPAP
Min PS
Max PS

I know that if I change it from ASV to Auto ASV it will allow a maximum and minimum EPAP as well.

If anyone could help me to understand how to change the settings to meet the doctor's orders I would be extremely grateful. Thank you in advance and I'm happy to be on this board!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Settings For AirCurve 10
Are you not using a DME? They should have your prescription and can make the settings via wireless connection. If you need to do it yourself you will need a clinician settings manual. If you don't already have one you can get it here: http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

Just scroll down until you find your machine in the listing. I'm not that familiar with ASV machines. There are others here with the right expertise who will respond soon. But it would be still be good for you to have the manual.

Also, you should download SleepyHead software from here: https://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./

It will allow you to post data from your therapy in the forum. See the links below for the users guide and instructions on how to organize and post data.

Welcome to the forum.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am trying to avoid the inevitably exorbitant charges of them opening the clinician's settings and turning the knob. I find the charges to be far too high for the amount of work done by the DME. I have spent an incredible amount of money on sleep treatment and studies for years, and want to avoid this particular visit.

I understand, from reading threads here, that:
IPAP= EPAP+Max PS.

So judging the doctor's note, the EPAP should be 7, and the Max PS should be 15 (making the IPAP the recommended 22).
I am unclear on what the Min PS should be, and how to set the "RATE" of 11cm.

Thanks so much for your response!
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a guess but I think you are on the correct path.  I would interpret this to be
EPAP = 7
Min PS = 4  (11)
Max PS = 15 (22)

I'm curious if this is correct.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Those are the settings I guess as well, assuming that the rate is the minimum IPAP.

Thanks for your response, I am hoping I can get this figured out!
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you had a cardiac work up since your diagnosis? If not you should have one before starting ASV, there is some risk if you have reduced left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF ≤ 45%).
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been on the ASV for almost 2 years and had a couple sleep studies on it, so I'm not worried about using it. My recent study results and doctor recommendatios were given to me and I'm just trying to avoid paying the DME for adjusting the machine.

Thanks for the response!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi DoomWalrus,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Crimson Nape properly interpreted the settings. Press the control knob and home button at the same time to enter settings, Set EPAP to 7 and PS min to 4 and PS max to 15, and that will deliver the IPAP max of 22. ASVauto mode is very nice and usually more effective and comfortable, but for now go with the prescription.

Download the free #Sleepyhead software. It will let you see the efficacy data, and compare any therapy settings if you decide to experiment with some alternatives eventually.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
I concur with Red and SR as to your settings.

The "rate" is normally the backup rate - ie the breaths per minute the machine provides if you stop breathing. This can be set on some ASV machines, but not on the Resmeds - they do it all by software.

The AirCurve 10 CS PaceWave device uses breath phase mapping to provide a timed backup rate that is synchronised with the patient’s own breathing. When the patient deviates from the ventilatory target, the CS PaceWave device aims to stabilise the patient by adjusting Pressure Support. If necessary, it will adjust the timed backup rate from one that matches the patient’s own recent rate towards the built-in default 15 BPM backup rate.

That being said, my rate never varies by more than a few percent from 10 BPM, and the machine supports that without trying to hurry me along. Another reason the Resmed is the superior machine.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 301 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 564 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,512 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,243 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Oscar not recording CSR and RE with Aircurve 10 Vauto rmfisher132 1 88 03-17-2024, 04:33 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  new machine Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto Uzupan 32 1,356 03-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Last Post: Uzupan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.