Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Sleep Apnea Sufferer-Intro and questions
RE: New Sleep Apnea Sufferer-Intro and questions
I'm having a hard time having confidence in MD's anymore. My complaints of fatigue, frequent urination and night sweats along with my size to me now seem like a very clear indicator to suspect sleep apnea 1st. I forgot to mention high blood pressure which is improving as well. I also told my GP(former GP) that I had cut way back on pain medicines in an effort to see if that was causing fatigue and sleep issues. He went all teenage drama queen on me and.... I'll never go to him again. I was attempting to help him help me by eliminating possible causes of tiredeness/fatigue but he chose to lecture me. I'm 52 with 2 grandkids, I'm not toying around with anything especially pain medications- I want to heal which is what he's paid to do, I thought. the fatigue was worse than the pain and if it was one or the other, I'd honestly take pain. It wasn't until I saw a Nurse Practicioner at a wellness clinic who took me serious and sent me to cardiologist where help began.
Anyway, I could easily go on that rant for hours so I'll spare everyone. I'm glad to hear your wife is on the way to treatment Sleeprider, albeit it sounds completely back-a##-wards!!!
Here's my attempt at 3 pics. The 1st is my 19 nights of Dreamstation statistics. The next 2 are fairly representative snapshots of what happened during that therapy in that events are taking place but adjustments aren't? In fact, over the last several days of APAP my pressure rarely went above the 7's??
I plan to include some similar ASV data so let me know if you ned anything else.

[Image: 4XaoOgNl.jpg]

[Image: A3ZRoIul.jpg]

[Image: DDwX5CBl.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2016, 09:05 PM)richb Wrote: Generally speaking you are going to do better here at the Apnea Board when it comes to Complex or Central Apnea alone. It took me quite a while to find a competent Doctor when it came to Central Apnea. Many Doctors ignore Central Apnea because it is often associated with Congestive Heart Failure and or Opioid use. If you look at the scholarly literature on Central Apnea you will find most studies are related to Congestive Heart Failure. Yet there seem to be a wide range of people with some amount of disability in the nervous system/circulatory system feedback loop that controls respiration. This can be seen as an increase in Central Apnea type events when at high altitude or on a CPAP machine. Most cases can be dealt with in the fine tuning of settings process. Worst cases need ASV machines.

Yes, richb, I certainly see that Apnea Board is the place for information. And I am incredibly grateful such a place exists. Without it, myself and others would be counting on doctors and getting nowhere very fast.
I think I referred to it as "Chronic Heart Failure", my apologies as it is congestive. I don't have that either thank God! Anyway, I recently had MRI of neck and there's arthritis-a-plenty there and that's why I suspect my signal to breathe may be being interrupted. I certainly could be wrong, and maybe not have central apnea, but when one feels so bad he'll try anything that doesn't involve too much risk. That's what I've done in an effort to heal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here’s my summary statistics since beginning ASV and a couple snapshots of the night before last. The way I look at it, at least it appears the ASV is taking action. Whether it’s optimal yet or not is certainly up for debate!

[Image: Bx7zjLnl.jpg]

[Image: 6UIJYwpl.jpg]

[Image: B1FDY7xl.jpg]

Post Reply Post Reply
That wasn't what I was expecting. You did pretty good on CPAP, with relatively low pressure and reasonable event rate. I can see on ASV where you now use a significantly higher pressure support of 4.8 minimum, and nearly all of your breathing is autonomous (not caused by pressure support backup). There was no evidence of CA during CPAP use, and certainly it is not present with ASV.

I'm glad you find the machine comfortable and that it give you very good sleep, but I think your could have done the same with an Aircurve 10 VAuto.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2016, 10:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: That wasn't what I was expecting. You did pretty good on CPAP, with relatively low pressure and reasonable event rate. I can see on ASV where you now use a significantly higher pressure support of 4.8 minimum, and nearly all of your breathing is autonomous (not caused by pressure support backup). There was no evidence of CA during CPAP use, and certainly it is not present with ASV.

I'm glad you find the machine comfortable and that it give you very good sleep, but I think your could have done the same with an Aircurve 10 VAuto.

Thank you very much for your interpretation. It certainly crossed my mind to try a Bilevel machine, but my fear was that it wouldn't work. Then I'd have to purchase a 3rd machine and sell 2 at rather significant losses. I hope you can appreciate the thinking.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know of others that use an ASV and have no significant central apnea. If you can swing it financially, more power to you. The great thing about the Aircurve 10 ASV is that it has the capability to assist when spontaneous breathing is not present, but if it is, then it takes a back seat and lets you do the driving. That appears to be the case with you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-31-2016, 10:09 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: I know of others that use an ASV and have no significant central apnea. If you can swing it financially, more power to you. The great thing about the Aircurve 10 ASV is that it has the capability to assist when spontaneous breathing is not present, but if it is, then it takes a back seat and lets you do the driving. That appears to be the case with you.

If I get an opportunity to purchase a Resmed aircurve autoset at a reasonable price I would certainly entertain that. I purchased the ASV well below market price so it is possible I could get my money back for it.
In any event have a Happy New Year and thanks again for this wonderful site and all of your and others spot-on advice. I read other's stories a lot of the time and it is a wonderful way to gain insight into treatments.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi gman5200,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's good that you are doing well with your ASV machine.

Good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 79 6 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Questions on sleep study nikkib9899 0 50 Yesterday, 01:18 PM
Last Post: nikkib9899
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 455 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,829 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.