Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Sleep Study and Machine
New Sleep Study and Machine
Had my sleep study last month because I needed a new machine (more than 6 years old) and my doc wanted one. It was a one night split study. Normally I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat, but it took me almost two hours to fall asleep. I swear the room was used as a meat locker during the day. I brought my mask, however, forgot the connector that fits the hose (more on that later). They gave me a mask to use. So, after finally getting 3 blankets I fell asleep. Yep still though multiple OAs (I think the count was around 35) so they put me on CPAP. Also gave me a chance to hit the head. Seeing as this was not an initial study, the tech told me she had a little more leeway on timing. They woke me up about 5, let me get cleaned up and sent me on my way. Gave me the hose and mask as a parting gift. The mask was an F20 and I was real happy with it. My wife said she likes it so she us using it. (I still have several unopened Quatro FX in my closet).

Talked to my doc on Tuesday (piggybacked on my wife's appointment) and made my machine and mask request. Airsense/Curve and the F20 and said we could make it happen. Talked to the respiratory tech who handles the systems at my DME and she had some serious questions about the study especially as it said CPAP and I have been on an auto BiPap for 6+ years. She was going to raise the question with my doc and go from there. Looking at ResMed info, it seems the Airsense 10 is CPAP and I would need to go up to a Airsense Curve to go BiPap. One thing she definitely said was it would not be a Dreamstation. I agree with that as my wife is still having problems with her Dreamstation. 

Anyway, should have a new system and mask within a couple of weeks. Old clunker is still going fine. 

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Sleep Study and Machine
Sounds good. You'll like the Air Curve 10 VAUTO. I've got one myself.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Talked to the DME and I am going to be getting an AirSense 10 Auto with an F-20 mask. Supposed to be delivered no later than Monday. Doctor looked at the sleep study and it called for a CPAP and not a BiPap, so we will go that route for now. Asked about what happens if the CPAP does do it and her answer was - you can always switch to a System One BiPap (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean) until you can get back with your doc. At that point we would need a full up titration study. Evidently my last sleep study was just what they call an "update" to see if I still need it. Doc wants an appointment about 4-6 weeks after getting the new machine to evaluate it and keep Medicare happy. 

BTW, does SH read ResMEd Airsense?

Homer
Homer

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Monitors are also Advisory Members, just with Extra Work assigned.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes. No problems with sleepyhead.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is one of the most widely used machine and is fully supported in SH. It is a much different machine from the BiPAP Auto SV and will not treat central apnea. I don't know what your settings are, but I have the impression that your doctor is either uninformed on your condition, or something has changed that complex apnea is no longer an issue. Any chance you could further describe what this sleep study entailed? Were you tested on CPAP, or was this diagnostic without PAP.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Homerec

Please may I ask why you've elected to put your post only to the advisory board and not in the open forum?
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2018, 11:26 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: The Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset is one of the most widely used machine and is fully supported in SH.  It is a much different machine from the BiPAP Auto SV and will not treat central apnea. I don't know what your settings are, but I have the impression that your doctor is either uninformed on your condition, or something has changed that complex apnea is no longer an issue.  Any chance you could further describe what this sleep study entailed?  Were you tested on CPAP, or was this diagnostic without PAP.

I was not impressed with my sleep study one bit. I was told it was supposed to be a titration, but they treated like it was an initial - monitor only at the beginning and then if I showed signs of apnea, then they would fire up the system. The room was freezing and I was told they had no control over the temperature. I ended up with three blankets trying to get to a comfortable setting. About 2 in the morning the tech came in and put me on CPAP and then about 5 said I was done, that they had enough information. 

As I said earlier, the RT at the DME raised the question about why CPAP and not BiPap and my doc said lets go with CPAP. If we need to, we will do another study.

My machine came today and I have a phone appointment with the RT to make sure everything is setup correctly and to teach me how to use it. Follow-up with my sleep doc is in February - it is the earliest I can get in to see him.

We shall see and I will keep you posted. 

Homer
Homer

Post Reply Post Reply
In my experience, individuals with complex apnea are consistently inconsistent. It is very easy to get excellent results in a short term titration test, and these patients will experience many hours of good results using CPAP at low pressure...until they don't. Eventually the central apnea and hypopnea emerges and CPAP fails. Subsequent bilevel usually fails faster.

If you can round up your old records that were used to establish a need for ASV, you might be able to shorten this process on the second go-around. I assume you retained your old machine?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Homer, unless there's something in this thread that is extremely personal in nature (which so far there doesn't seem to be), it really should be put into the Main forum.

Let me know if there's a compelling reason to keep it here in the Advisory Members forum.

Otherwise, I'll be moving it to the Main Forum soon.

Thanks.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-04-2018, 08:10 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Homer, unless there's something in this thread that is extremely personal in nature (which so far there doesn't seem to be), it really should be put into the Main forum.

Let me know if there's a compelling reason to keep it here in the Advisory Members forum.

Otherwise, I'll be moving it to the Main Forum soon.

Thanks.

Coffee

SS,

At this point, now real reason to keep it here. Go ahead and move it. Thanks
Homer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 237 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 77 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 532 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 190 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 146 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 65 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.