Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Sleep Study
New Sleep Study
I am having a new sleep study on Friday. I wanted them to do the sleep study first without CPAP to see if the CPAP therapy had lowered my AHI's compared to the first sleep study but they said they will NOT do that. :-(

I am told that I need to bring my current CPAP machine for them to look at the condition of it, check the filter, hose, mask, etc. etc. but they will not use it.

Then, I will get all hooked up just like my first sleep study and they said they would watch for leg movement, etc. If the pressure reaches 16 then they are told to put me on BIPAP to see what happens from there.

So, I have used to Resmeds and am very happy with them. I am very unfamiliar with BIPAP so I need some advice and I don't have a whole lot of time to search the site for assistance.

So, if anyone has spare time and can help me out with this, I would appreciate it. I suspect that maybe BIPAP will be ordered as so far, my pressure has been consistently at 19.9 with the autoset. Also, what questions should I be asking?

The good thing is that I told the sleep center how much trouble I had with the Quattro FX and they are going to try me on different masks!! Yea!

Thank you so much for your help. I have 4 medical exams tomorrow that will take up at least 1/2 a day so that doesn't leave me much time for research.

Again, thanks for any help you can offer.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Sleep Study
I doubt you'll be able to ask many questions at the sleep study. Well, you can ask them but you won't get answers.

They won't use your machine because they probably have a standard one set up. One machine to rule them.

But good luck and let us know how it goes.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2013, 09:09 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I doubt you'll be able to ask many questions at the sleep study. Well, you can ask them but you won't get answers.

They won't use your machine because they probably have a standard one set up. One machine to rule them.

But good luck and let us know how it goes.

no, they won't use my machine; they just want to check it. And, no, I won't get to ask questions during the sleep study other than to deal with trying different masks. But, the next morning, during the breakfast they serve everyone, I can talk to them about brands of machines, etc. if I have to go to BIPAP that is why I want to be as prepared as I can. Fortunately, I know the Director of the facility and I betcha this time they will listen to me b/c last time, I asked them to give me an auto set and they didn't and I obviously needed one. I would really love to see if my AHI's have gone down due to being on CPAP treatment for over 2 years. Yea, I know that I still have apnea but I would just love to see if the treatment has improved numbers any. It is just a curiosity thing, I know.

ANyway, any BIPAP users that can offer me any assistance, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: 2nd Sleep Study Concerns
I am having trouble staying asleep and I know this time it is because I cannot see what it will hurt to have a regular sleep study as I did the first time.

My first sleep study I slept a total of 130 minutes according to the report with no REM sleep.

Surely from 8 PM until 7 AM the next morning, they would have time to do a sleep study beginning without CPAP therapy to see how many events I have per hour, what type of events they are, etc. and then start CPAP therapy and if my pressure on the Auto Set gets to 16, try me on BIPAP.

Am I wrong about this? It has been over 2 years since my first sleep study and a lot can change in that amount of time and I just cannot see what it would hurt to start my 2nd sleep study without CPAP therapy.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi!

Unfortunately, they won't spend money to do comparisons that won't help them in any way. The thing is, you need a machine, they check the pressure, make adjustments and off you go.

However, you could check your progress on your own from now on. Just run your APAP at CPAP mode with the lowest possible pressure for a night, just like I did. Then, you can repeat the process again whenever you want to check on your AHI number.

IMHO, unless you have lost weight, improved your fitness or sleep habits somehow, I doubt that you will see your severe apnea disappear. The machine alone isn't a cure - just a treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2013, 08:41 AM)DOOM_NX Wrote: Hi!

Unfortunately, they won't spend money to do comparisons that won't help them in any way. The thing is, you need a machine, they check the pressure, make adjustments and off you go.

However, you could check your progress on your own from now on. Just run your APAP at CPAP mode with the lowest possible pressure for a night, just like I did. Then, you can repeat the process again whenever you want to check on your AHI number.

IMHO, unless you have lost weight, improved your fitness or sleep habits somehow, I doubt that you will see your severe apnea disappear. The machine alone isn't a cure - just a treatment.

I know my apnea will not disappear even with a shift in weight either way, etc. I have monitored my pressure numbers for a month since I asked my doctor to write a script for the auto set. This is why I went to my sleep doc b/c 95% of the time, my pressure was at the top of what the auto set will go.

My first sleep study was not a good study as I only slept 2 hours total the whole time I was there. That is why I want them to do the full sleep study this time. I will call my ordering doc this morning after I get my other 4 tests done and see if he will adjust the orders. One hour of the sleep center's time monitoring me off CPAP isn't going to run them behind as they will have 11 hours to hook me up and monitor me.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Keep in mind that 1 hour of monitoring may not reveal any progress. Apneas do get worse or better day by day and hour by hour. It depends on a lot of factors and you could actually need many days of monitoring to come to a safe conclusion.

I would focus on getting the right machine and pressure settings at the moment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2013, 09:15 AM)DOOM_NX Wrote: Keep in mind that 1 hour of monitoring may not reveal any progress. Apneas do get worse or better day by day and hour by hour. It depends on a lot of factors and you could actually need many days of monitoring to come to a safe conclusion.

I would focus on getting the right machine and pressure settings at the moment.

I agree that finding the right machine (which I asked for the auto set 2 years ago and they refused to let me have it) and the right pressure is optimal as I know that my set pressure of 12 was not enough (along with issues with the Quattro FX mask which leaks too much among other issues) but since the first sleep study was not a good and productive one, I want a better sleep study. It isn't about comparing the first to the 2nd. Anyway, I will discuss with my doc to see if he will order a full sleep study even if it has to be done in 2 days.

Again, thank you for your support and advice. Have an awesome day!
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh I get it now. You mean you never had a full sleep study without the machine, so you'd like to see the results of a complete and proper one.

Are you worried about other condition that might be left untreated? I'm sure they will show up even with the CPAP on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, in my opinion, my sleep study last night was a bust. They tried a Mirage Quattro and it is sure bulky compared to the Quattro FX. I sneezed during my sleep study so they gave me the mask or I presume that is why they gave it to me! lol

On a happier note, Happy Birthday to me!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 221 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 529 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.