Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Sleep apnea and grinding clenching
New Sleep apnea and grinding clenching
Hi. I am new to this board .   I have been recently diagnosed with sleep apnea . I just started using my coal machine.  Unfortunately I also grind and clench my teeth .  My dentist is the one who asked me to do a sleep study .  As well this grinding and clenching caused me to have pain in my teeth  and pain in my jaw . My doctor told me that sometimes if sleep apnea is under control my grinding will stop .  I am wondering if anyone from this group has experienced the above.    Thank you for reading my post
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Sleep apnea and grinding clenching
Hi I am new to this board and wondering please if I posted this correctly and if you can read it
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum.

So far so good.
Some questions, 
Which ResMed machine do you have. It shout state on the front, CPAP, Elite, Autoset?

What is a "COAL" machine?  do you mean CPAP machine.

Can you post the results of your sleep study?

Can you download Sleepyhead, and post your charts.  see my signature for how to.

I have never ground my teeth so I can't help you there.

But we can definitively help with the sleep apnea side of it.  We as a group rely on data to see what is need to assist with apnea, thus the above request, beyond that we can offer suggestions based on limited data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the resmed auto 10 for her. And my sleep apnea is under control. Under 5.   .5 for ahi .    Unfortunately I am not familiar with software computers. So I don't know how to download software.    I was wondering if anybody in the group also suffers from grinding
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome!

I have clenched my teeth at night for my entire adult life. I probably grind too, but am in denial about it. Once I got a night guard (it goes on my teeth, like a retainer), I stopped damaging my teeth... and it also eliminated my morning headaches and my jaw pain.

Unfortunately, it took me another 5 years to figure out I have sleep apnea, and to get a CPAP. So I don't know how a CPAP may have helped intervene.

I've only been using xPAP therapy for 5 months, but I still clench, so I'm still extremely faithful to use my night guard.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2017, 05:59 PM)Hydrangea Wrote: Welcome!

I have clenched my teeth at night for my entire adult life.  I probably grind too, but am in denial about it.  Once I got a night guard (it goes on my teeth, like a retainer), I stopped damaging my teeth... and it also eliminated my morning headaches and my jaw pain.

Unfortunately, it took me another  5 years to figure out I have sleep apnea, and to get a CPAP.  So I don't know how a CPAP may have helped intervene.

I've only been using xPAP therapy for 5 months, but I still clench, so I'm still extremely faithful to use my night guard.
Thank you I was told that I grind  and maybe clench thst is why my dentist wanted me to do sleep study . My sleep dctor said that sometimes grinding related to sleep apnea .  I have a mouth guard but need to get a new one as the current one is too tight I did not wear it for a few days than wore Friday evening just to see and I was very bad on Saturday with pain in my jaw and teeth . I don't know if last night did not wear it but slept better and my apnea was ,3 on machine so I have no idea why less pain today,  I have been using cpap machine for two weeks
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome Novello1234!

I also grind and clench and using CPAP for a year has not made that go away.  My new dentist recommended that I wear a night guard.  But we are all different so in your case I would hold out hope that the CPAP will make things better for your clenching and grinding.  If not, using CPAP is good for your health and  mental state in many other ways.  Don't expect immediate results, it takes time for your body and mind to adjust and your body to heal.
Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP therapy greatly reduced my teeth grinding and clenching. I no longer need my night guard. Many people report a reduction in anxiety.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Please set your profile to show "ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her". It helps us to know specifically which machine you have and the algorithms available on it.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2017, 10:21 PM)Sleepster Wrote: CPAP therapy greatly reduced my teeth grinding and clenching. I no longer need my night guard. Many people report a reduction in anxiety.

Thank you how long did it take for you  I know everyone is different. Today I know I
Am having a bad day because I did not sleep well.  I am also wondering how long will it take for my body to adjust as I am
Still not sleeping well  I have my sleep study again mid June
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 277 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 193 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,827 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,259 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 186 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.