Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Sleep apnea and grinding clenching
RE: New Sleep apnea and grinding clenching
Teeth grinding, aka bruxism, if not managed well, can actually grind the teeth down below the gum line.
Because I do this, I am having molars starting to chip off, in addition to shortening. And that is with using a mouth guard every single night, religiously. I am to the place that the rear most molars are going to be replaced, 1 at a time, with implants, as the steel posts may withstand the grinding better. Or at least not have the crown pop off as frequently.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2017, 06:23 PM)Novello1234 Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 10:21 PM)Sleepster Wrote: CPAP therapy greatly reduced my teeth grinding and clenching. I no longer need my night guard. Many people report a reduction in anxiety.

Thank you how long did it take for you  I know everyone is different. Today I know I
Am having a bad day because I did not sleep well.  I am also wondering how long will it take for my body to adjust as I am
Still not sleeping well  

It was a gradual process for me. Some days were good, some bad. Gradually the good days outnumbered the bad.

The problem with a CPAP machine is that the pressure, the hose, and the mask can all interfere with sleep, so even though the apnea is treated, we still don't sleep well. But we do adapt and eventually all that stuff stops bothering us.

Quote:I have my sleep study again mid June

Why are you having another sleep study?

(05-28-2017, 04:14 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: I have the resmed auto 10 for her. And my sleep apnea is under control. Under 5.   .5 for ahi .    Unfortunately I am not familiar with software computers. So I don't know how to download software.  

Hopefully you are using the machine every time you sleep, all the time you are sleeping. If not, an AHI of 0.5 means nothing. Also, if you don't have your leaks under control you don't have your sleep apnea under control. You need to download and install SleepyHead software so you can check your leak graph. If you don't know how to download software either learn how or get help from someone.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2017, 08:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 06:23 PM)Novello1234 Wrote:
(05-28-2017, 10:21 PM)Sleepster Wrote: CPAP therapy greatly reduced my teeth grinding and clenching. I no longer need my night guard. Many people report a reduction in anxiety.

Thank you how long did it take for you  I know everyone is different. Today I know I
Am having a bad day because I did not sleep well.  I am also wondering how long will it take for my body to adjust as I am
Still not sleeping well  

It was a gradual process for me. Some days were good, some bad. Gradually the good days outnumbered the bad.

The problem with a CPAP machine is that the pressure, the hose, and the mask can all interfere with sleep, so even though the apnea is treated, we still don't sleep well. But we do adapt and eventually all that stuff stops bothering us.

(05-28-2017, 04:14 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: I have the resmed auto 10 for her. And my sleep apnea is under control. Under 5.   .5 for ahi .    Unfortunately I am not familiar with software computers. So I don't know how to download software.  

Hopefully you are using the machine every time you sleep, all the time you are sleeping. If not, an AHI of 0.5 means nothing. Also, if you don't have your leaks under control you don't have your sleep apnea under control. You need to download and install SleepyHead software so you can check your leak graph. If you don't know how to download software either learn how or get help from someone.
Hi second study is for titration I think it is called where I bring my mask and they can see with their cpap how is doing. The fist one I did not have cpap machine.  I don't have leaks at present
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there

I've ground my teeth at night for years. I control it using a mouth guard which fits snugly to my upper teeth which is supposed to deter bruxism (which it does, up to a point) but more importantly to stop teeth being abraded and in that regard it works. The bad news is that the ones one can source off the internet are useless and you really need to get a guard from a mould of your teeth which can be done by your dentist, which will cost.

The better news is that there is no reason why using a guard is not compatible with a conventional CPAP mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2017, 08:58 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi second study is for titration I think it is called where I bring my mask and they can see with their cpap how is doing. The fist one I did not have cpap machine.  I don't have leaks at present

The usual procedure is to issue a CPAP machine after the titration. You already have a CPAP machine, so that is the reason I asked.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
New to CPAP - The Process a Wiki article.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2017, 08:58 PM)Novello1234 Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 08:47 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-29-2017, 06:23 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Thank you how long did it take for you  I know everyone is different. Today I know I
Still not sleeping well  

Hi second study is for titration I think it is called where I bring my mask and they can see with their cpap how is doing. The fist one I did not have cpap machine.  I don't have leaks at present

I noticed when I have a good sleep which is not always Now maybe every other day I think I might be grinding less and it feels less psinfiulm with respect to my teeth and my tmj problems .  Last night I did not sleep well and felt the difference today as I suspect I did grind,  I migh try to keep a record of  my sleep .
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2017, 12:02 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(05-30-2017, 08:58 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi second study is for titration I think it is called where I bring my mask and they can see with their cpap how is doing. The fist one I did not have cpap machine.  I don't have leaks at present

The usual procedure is to issue a CPAP machine after the titration. You already have a CPAP machine, so that is the reason I asked.
Oh ok I did not know that . 
My doctor did give the prescription of the recommended pressure number and that is what they set it to . What will happen in this study will they set it to what the doctor recommended and then increase or decrease during the study .
Post Reply Post Reply
You asked what to expect during a Sleep Lab Titration study.   In addition to being fully wired in to monitor your sleep.

From the Wiki article Optimizing Therapy

CPAP titration

1. Set your initial pressure, protocols call for values from 4 to 6 or 2-3 cmH2O below your current settings then

2. Increase CPAP ≥1 cm H2O every ≥5 mins for obstructive apneas, hypopneas, RERAs and at least 3 min of loud or unambiguous snoring

3. Is the patient having obstructive events? If yes, repeat step 2
Obviously we cannot make an evaluation every 5 minutes while we are sleeping so we perform our evaluations in nightly cycles.
Note: By protocol, Titration of 15 cmH2O or greater is justification to go to a BiPAP / BiLevel machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-31-2017, 07:57 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: My doctor did give the prescription of the recommended pressure number and that is what they set it to.

The purpose of a titration is to determine the pressure. I don't know how your doctor determined the recommended pressure without a titration.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  clenching teeth, biting tongue JenniferJuniper 13 251 04-15-2024, 09:46 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 231 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Central Sleep Apnea receiving treatment other than CPAP, ASV? ivan007 0 126 04-07-2024, 06:19 AM
Last Post: ivan007
  Need help with RERAs in sleep apnea shedu1337 8 294 04-03-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: shedu1337
  Heart Failure with Sleep Apnea kwhenrykerr 2 207 04-02-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 386 03-27-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 514 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.