Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Smilie
New Smilie
Just noticed, a new smilie seems to have been added.

A sheep sheep, yay!

So what's your favorite forum smilie, and what does it mean to you?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: New Smilie
That's Bob !! the Sleepyhead Smilie sheep
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it smilie, smiley??   Thinking-about Unsure Dont-know

I would assume that the plural form is smilies, but would singular be smilie or smiley?

or I supposed they've been called emoticons too.. since not all of them are smiling.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Both are used, but smiley is indeed much more common.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smiley

Then there's the whole conundrum of emoticon vs. emoji.

[Insert Smile here.]
Code:
[Insert :) here.]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoticon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emoji
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
hmm... I'd like to see a couple of champions duke it out to decide the questionable qweschun. Absent that, maybe it should have a poll... jus' sayin'
Post Reply Post Reply
Back in the 90s when IRC was hot, I remember emoticons being new to me after everyone was doing ASCii art. I'm thinking it was ICQ or AOL IM that I saw them first, one of the major updates included emoticons best I remember. I don't ever recall them being emoji.

And smiley is all I've ever thought to be correct.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-25-2018, 01:25 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: Is it smilie, smiley??   Thinking-about Unsure Dont-know

I would assume that the plural form is smilies, but would singular be smilie or smiley?

or I supposed they've been called emoticons too.. since not all of them are smiling.

Hmm, I was thinking it was a Canadian vs American English thing on first glance...

My faves? Coffee and lots-o-coffee Big surprise huh?
Dave

I'm not a doctor in real or fictional life. My posts include opinions based upon user experience regarding CPAP therapy and should not be considered medically professional direction or advice. Even a 1,000 mile trip requires a good first step. My recommended first steps include getting good walking shoes, 1 great cup of coffee, and a good GPS.

Wiki Info for Beginners
Sleepyhead Chart Organization
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
Dont-know
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.