Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Sufferer
New Sufferer
Hi all, Just joined the forum. Boy, have I got a lot to learn.
Got diagnosed with Sleep Apnea 2 weeks ago. Picked up my Dreamstation 3 days ago, tried it out for the first time last night and lasted about an hour before I had to take it off. My mouth was so dry, I couldn't bear it any longer. I really can't see me using it again unless I can find a remedy for this???

Can anybody help/advise???
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Sufferer
Hi rayc,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Can you identify which DreamStation you are using?  You can find the model numbers on the bottom of machine.  

DreamStation CPAP (200X110) - limited
DreamStation CPAP Pro (400X110, 400X150)
DreamStation Go (400G110)
DreamStation Auto CPAP (500X110, 500X120, 500X130, 500X150)
DreamStation Go Auto (500G110, 502G150)
DreamStation BiPAP Pro (600X110)
DreamStation Auto BiPAP (700X110)

Even though you are using a full face mask, you may be mouth breathing.  That won't affect your therapy much, but can cause dry mouth.  Another thing to try is turn up your humidity setting.

Some things to do:
Order the Clinicians manual for your machine (have exact name and model when ordering).

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual

Down the free OSCAR software.  https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR

Also, be sure there is an SD card in the Cpap while sleeping.  

Once you've done all that and you have a couple days data on the SD card, start using the software to track your therapy and post a couple days charts here.

You can use this link to guide you:

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would suggest you get ahold of your supplier and ask to change machines to a ResMed airsense 10s autoset. It is a much better machine. It costs the supplier more but your cost is the same. They make more money off the dreamstation. The s10 has a much better program. Search this site and you will find dozens of people that changed machines and had much better therapy.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks OpalRose for your very comprehensive reply of which, I will follow up on your comments.

My Dreamstation  model number is GBX 500515

It is a Free loan from the NHS in England.

Yes, I am a mouth breather and unfortunately I do not have the Humidifier.  Do you think it would help if I had one??

Last night I tried to breath out of my nose but woke up after 3 hours for my first toilet visit to find the mouth piece all 'screwed up'. I reset everything and tried to sleep again but couldn't so I gave up.

Are there other masks that may suit me?

I will carry out the rest of your suggestions

Thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Staceyburke for your help.

I think it is a little too soon for me to be asking for a change of machine., but I will most definately keep your suggestion in mind for a later date.

The equipment I have is supplied FOC by the NHS in England so I can't complain.

I am thinking that I don't as yet understand the importance of CPAP machine and its use??

Thanks again.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-11-2021, 06:37 AM)rayc Wrote: I am thinking that I don't as yet understand the importance of CPAP machine and its use??

The Cpap machine is used to help keep your airway from collapsing while you sleep.  Have you had an actual sleep study and do you have a copy of it to post here?

Here is some reading to help you understand the importance of Cpap use.

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...re-success
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again Opal Rose. I will go through all the info you have sent/suggested.

My sleep survey was 3 hours max as I took the gear off as I was too hot. The conclusion was a reading of 70 but I do not have a copy of this.
I have today picked up a humidifier though.

RayC
Post Reply Post Reply
Good, I think a humidifier will help.
OpalRose
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
What others have said! Get a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet with a humidifier. I was lucky. That was issued to me by my DME supplier and I didn't have a clue that it was the best on the market. 

I'm a mouth-breather as well. I started out with an AirFit F20 and did okay with it. When the AirFit F30 came out, I got one, and it's much better than the F20 is. 

I'm also a side sleeper and the F30 is well-suited for that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks a lot Big Guy for your input
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR help for UARS sufferer Joshuachoi0508 0 560 06-20-2022, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Joshuachoi0508
Sad Possible UARS Sufferer? cbailey1616 48 4,749 03-04-2020, 08:13 AM
Last Post: slowriter
  Mask recommendations for chronic migraine sufferer? greenhousedc 9 2,172 05-30-2018, 10:14 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Brain Fog Sufferer morningpersonnot 24 4,744 03-21-2018, 10:34 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Sleep Apnea Sufferer-Intro and questions gman5200 17 3,144 12-31-2016, 04:50 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  New to Forum Long Time Apnea Sufferer stanleydean 4 1,846 07-27-2015, 04:58 PM
Last Post: kaiasgram
  Complex Apnea Sufferer - does Z1 make sense? niallm 11 5,315 03-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.