Mask Make & Model: Resmed Airfit P10
Humidifier: ResMed
CPAP Pressure: 10.6/14, EPR 3
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Is it bedtime yet?

Sex: Male

RE: New Tired Member
(05-14-2014 05:34 AM)jpsantell Wrote:  
(02-06-2014 11:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  JP, you're covered by VA, so I would ask your primary to refer you to your local va sleep clinic for a new workup. They should be happy as spit to provide you with a new machine and any masks or whatever your heart desires. My sleep clinic personnel have been wonderful. One phone call and I have a different mask to try if that's what I want.
Well, I took your advice and went to the VA. The doctor listened to my story, I faxed a copy of my sleep studies to him and he ordered up a new S9 for me. It does take time through the VA though, I go for my fitting Friday and hope for great things. I'm tired.

Glad to hear it JP. I'm not sure the VA prescribes anything other than the S9 Autoset. Take takes all the fun out of trying to "upsell" them. But in spite of the recent press regarding the VA, it has been great for me. Yes, you do have to learn their "ways," because it is different than private care. But they are a class act in my opinion.
05-14-2014 06:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
ImaSurvivor Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Swift FX
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier, ClimateLine Tubing
CPAP Pressure: 10
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Moderate Sleep Apnea, Began using CPAP 11/27/2013

Sex: Female

Good Luck JP. Hope your machine arrives soon for you.
05-16-2014 08:58 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

(02-06-2014 11:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote:  JP, you're covered by VA, so I would ask your primary to refer you to your local va sleep clinic for a new workup. They should be happy as spit to provide you with a new machine and any masks or whatever your heart desires. My sleep clinic personnel have been wonderful. One phone call and I have a different mask to try if that's what I want.
Well, I took your advice and went to the VA. The doctor listened to my story, I faxed a copy of my sleep studies to him and he ordered up a new S9 for me. It does take time through the VA though, I go for my fitting Friday and hope for great things. I'm tired.
Hi jpsantell,
It's great to hear that you were prescribed a new S9.
Hope your fiting goes well and best of luck with the new machine.

trish6hundred
05-17-2014 01:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jpsantell Offline

Members

Machine: REmstar Auto Apap system one
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift
Humidifier: humidifier set at 3
CPAP Pressure: set to auto 7-16

Other Comments:

The VA sent me a Remstar Auto A-flex System One instead of a S9, apparently they have a shortage of S9s. Is it a good machine? I have a few problems with it. The provider set the pressures to 6 and 16, I think the doctor based this on my old sleep study. I have a Swift nose pillow mask and I don't feel as though I'm getting enough air, kind of a suffocating feeling. And, the machine seems to occasionally cut off the pressure before I complete my inhale, What do you suggest to fix these problems? Oh yeah, my old Resmed s8 used to hiss but this machine hums? on the pressure stroke, very similar to my cell phone on vibrate, that's going to take some getting used to.
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 05:54 AM by jpsantell.)
06-11-2014 05:48 AM
Sleepster Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: ResMed AirCurve10 VAuto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: HumidAir and SlimLine Hose
CPAP Pressure: MaxI 13.6 | MinE 5.2 | PS 4.4
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Diagnosed Nov 2011. Conquered aerophagia.

(06-11-2014 05:48 AM)jpsantell Wrote:  The VA sent me a Remstar Auto A-flex System One instead of a S9, apparently they have a shortage of S9s. Is it a good machine?

That's a good machine, in some ways better.

Quote:I have a few problems with it. The provider set the pressures to 6 and 16, I think the doctor based this on my old sleep study.

Previously you were at 5.6 and 20. Do you know if you spent significant amounts of time between 16 and 20?

Quote:I have a Swift nose pillow mask and I don't feel as though I'm getting enough air, kind of a suffocating feeling.

You may feel as though you are suffocating, and when you do your heart and respiration rate go up because you're nervous. It's psychological. You aren't suffocating. Try wearing the mask during the day when you're reading or listening to music. It'll help you adapt.

Quote:And, the machine seems to occasionally cut off the pressure before I complete my inhale,

That's likely the A-Flex kicking in, my machine does that, too, but it stops when I relax and stop worrying about it. If you want you can lower the amount of A-Flex.

Quote:Oh yeah, my old Resmed s8 used to hiss but this machine hums? on the pressure stroke, very similar to my cell phone on vibrate, that's going to take some getting used to.

White noise in the background, like from an air filter or a radio with no antenna will help. You could also try ear plugs.

I think that as you adapt to the new machine these issues will subside.

The major advantage to the Respironics machines compared to the ResMeds is that you don't have to download your data weekly.

Sleepster
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
06-11-2014 10:05 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
jpsantell Offline

Members

Machine: REmstar Auto Apap system one
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Swift
Humidifier: humidifier set at 3
CPAP Pressure: set to auto 7-16

Other Comments:

Well, I'm sure you've heard about the problems getting appointments at the VA, I'm having my"6 week visit" next Monday, it's closer to a six month visit.
11-13-2014 06:40 AM
Sparkle Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Res Med Air Sense 10 Auto Set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed S10 37028
CPAP Pressure: 4-14

Other Comments: 3 brothers on CPAP; rescue mom to Bootsie Bella; wishes the APAP matched the decor in my bedroom :)

That's good news! If you are going for your fitting on Friday - how much longer will it take after that?

I am brand new to CPAP. On tail end of week three. I am feeling a little bit better and better every few days. I hope you find relief with your new machine.

Good Luck!
01-31-2015 02:05 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
me50 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: resmed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Wisp and Silicone Head gear
Humidifier: resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18/8

Other Comments:

Sex: Undisclosed

Hi Sparkle

This is an old thread (November 2014) so the OP may not respond. It looks like they haven't been to the forum since that date.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2015 02:47 PM by me50.)
01-31-2015 02:46 PM
Sparkle Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Res Med Air Sense 10 Auto Set
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed S10 37028
CPAP Pressure: 4-14

Other Comments: 3 brothers on CPAP; rescue mom to Bootsie Bella; wishes the APAP matched the decor in my bedroom :)

(01-31-2015 02:46 PM)me50 Wrote:  Hi Sparkle

This is an old thread (November 2014) so the OP may not respond. It looks like they haven't been to the forum since that date.

Thanks <giggle> I have to pay closer attention to that Smile
01-31-2015 02:54 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New member with questions. Junior7734 10 410 12-02-2016 09:35 PM
Last Post: Junior7734
  New member from Oz Qasaya 12 428 12-01-2016 10:39 AM
Last Post: Newbee2016
  [Treatment] One Year in and still have tired days Sleepyv 17 457 12-01-2016 02:58 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  When does the "tired" feeling go away? Cranberry Ray 8 454 11-30-2016 10:10 AM
Last Post: Cranberry Ray
  New, very tired, and need help beckysmith 35 1,279 11-28-2016 06:53 PM
Last Post: robysue
  New Member, new to PAP Capt.Redbeard 7 266 11-27-2016 04:39 PM
Last Post: chill
  Not so new member having mask leak issues erikk 9 351 11-26-2016 02:15 PM
Last Post: erikk