Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Tired Member
New Tired Member
Hello, I was diagnosed with Apnea in 05 and have been on a cpap since. My current machine is a Resmed S8 Elite and my mask a Resmed Swift, humidifier a H4i. I don't use the humidifier, I kept getting the hose full of water so stopped using it. My current setting is now 9.0 and I self set it. I get my diagnostics through Lincare but can only get the weekly diagnostics done once a year and I felt the setting was too low. Lately I've been feeling bone weary, sore tired all the time, no energy and have had a headache every day, all day. I hope to be able to use this site to improve my use of the machine. I need to download the software and figure out how to use it. 3 days ago I bumped my pressure up from 8.8 to 9.0 and the headache is a little less so I think the setting just isn't right. I feel so crappy I even went to the VA for a full blood workup to see it it was my thyroid, low testosterone or renal impairment but all the blood work came back fine. Any suggestions on how to get started would be appreciated, thanks. By the way, I chose the donkey for my avatar because he looks as tired as I feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Tired Member
(02-05-2014, 07:05 AM)jpsantell Wrote: Hello, I was diagnosed with Apnea in 05 and have been on a cpap since. My current machine is a Resmed S8 Elite and my mask a Resmed Swift, humidifier a H4i. I don't use the humidifier, I kept getting the hose full of water so stopped using it. My current setting is now 9.0 and I self set it. I get my diagnostics through Lincare but can only get the weekly diagnostics done once a year and I felt the setting was too low. Lately I've been feeling bone weary, sore tired all the time, no energy and have had a headache every day, all day. I hope to be able to use this site to improve my use of the machine. I need to download the software and figure out how to use it. 3 days ago I bumped my pressure up from 8.8 to 9.0 and the headache is a little less so I think the setting just isn't right. I feel so crappy I even went to the VA for a full blood workup to see it it was my thyroid, low testosterone or renal impairment but all the blood work came back fine. Any suggestions on how to get started would be appreciated, thanks. By the way, I chose the donkey for my avatar because he looks as tired as I feel.

not sure I understand why you can't get your diagnostics (not sure what that consists of) more frequently than yearly, but you could have a need for a pressure change, you could be having too many leaks, it is hard to say without knowing more. I am sure others will have better ideas.

one thing is for sure, you would probably benefit from a newer machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-05-2014, 07:05 AM)jpsantell Wrote: Hello, I was diagnosed with Apnea in 05 and have been on a cpap since. My current machine is a Resmed S8 Elite

Welcome to the forum. Others will be able to help you with the specifics of what data your S8 can and cannot give you, and which software you could use.

My recommendation is that you ask for a new machine. You should be eligible after 5 years. Try to find out just what you have to say to the people at the VA to get this to happen.

The newer machines not only work better, they give you more data.

Regardless of whether or not you get a new machine, first and foremost we need to find out if your leak rate is under control. Once that's established we can look at your AHI and find out if your treatment is effective.

You'll be better educated and in a better position to discuss these issues with your doctors and equipment providers.

Let's see what we can do to help you start feeling better.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jpsantell,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Sleepster said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jpsahttp:
I agree it is probably time for an new machine, preferably a S9.
In regards to the condensation in the hose (rainout), Resmed makes a heated hose, called Climateline, to stop that. It is only available for the S9 though I understand.
I have an S9 Autoset with standard hose and have never experienced rainout. With a new machine, you may not need it either.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply
Update, it looks like my cpap is a Resmed S8 Autoset II and not the Elite like I thought.
Post Reply Post Reply
It appears the S8 uses its own special card and requires a reader (a prescription to buy it also) and does not use the common SD card.
So, I'm kind of back to flying blind as far as data retrieval goes, Can anyone tell me if I would benefit more by putting the machine in Auto mode rather than cpap and allow the machine to adjust my pressure for me?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 09:34 PM)jpsantell Wrote: It appears the S8 uses its own special card and requires a reader (a prescription to buy it also) and does not use the common SD card.
So, I'm kind of back to flying blind as far as data retrieval goes, Can anyone tell me if I would benefit more by putting the machine in Auto mode rather than cpap and allow the machine to adjust my pressure for me?

I was able to get a card and reader without a prescription. It took some help from members here to identify where to get them from. The reader was shipped from Israel so it took a while. If you are still interested, let me know and I will forward to you the information that will help you to find the cards and reader.

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
JP, you're covered by VA, so I would ask your primary to refer you to your local va sleep clinic for a new workup. They should be happy as spit to provide you with a new machine and any masks or whatever your heart desires. My sleep clinic personnel have been wonderful. One phone call and I have a different mask to try if that's what I want.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 11:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote: JP, you're covered by VA, so I would ask your primary to refer you to your local va sleep clinic for a new workup. They should be happy as spit to provide you with a new machine and any masks or whatever your heart desires. My sleep clinic personnel have been wonderful. One phone call and I have a different mask to try if that's what I want.
Well, I took your advice and went to the VA. The doctor listened to my story, I faxed a copy of my sleep studies to him and he ordered up a new S9 for me. It does take time through the VA though, I go for my fitting Friday and hope for great things. I'm tired.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 172 8 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 164 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 134 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 174 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 130 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Help me tweak some settings. Feeling tired again! dexterloki 6 256 03-14-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: dexterloki

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.