Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Tired Member
RE: New Tired Member
(05-14-2014, 05:34 AM)jpsantell Wrote:
(02-06-2014, 11:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote: JP, you're covered by VA, so I would ask your primary to refer you to your local va sleep clinic for a new workup. They should be happy as spit to provide you with a new machine and any masks or whatever your heart desires. My sleep clinic personnel have been wonderful. One phone call and I have a different mask to try if that's what I want.
Well, I took your advice and went to the VA. The doctor listened to my story, I faxed a copy of my sleep studies to him and he ordered up a new S9 for me. It does take time through the VA though, I go for my fitting Friday and hope for great things. I'm tired.

Glad to hear it JP. I'm not sure the VA prescribes anything other than the S9 Autoset. Take takes all the fun out of trying to "upsell" them. But in spite of the recent press regarding the VA, it has been great for me. Yes, you do have to learn their "ways," because it is different than private care. But they are a class act in my opinion.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good Luck JP. Hope your machine arrives soon for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2014, 11:43 PM)retired_guy Wrote: JP, you're covered by VA, so I would ask your primary to refer you to your local va sleep clinic for a new workup. They should be happy as spit to provide you with a new machine and any masks or whatever your heart desires. My sleep clinic personnel have been wonderful. One phone call and I have a different mask to try if that's what I want.
Well, I took your advice and went to the VA. The doctor listened to my story, I faxed a copy of my sleep studies to him and he ordered up a new S9 for me. It does take time through the VA though, I go for my fitting Friday and hope for great things. I'm tired.
Hi jpsantell,
It's great to hear that you were prescribed a new S9.
Hope your fiting goes well and best of luck with the new machine.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The VA sent me a Remstar Auto A-flex System One instead of a S9, apparently they have a shortage of S9s. Is it a good machine? I have a few problems with it. The provider set the pressures to 6 and 16, I think the doctor based this on my old sleep study. I have a Swift nose pillow mask and I don't feel as though I'm getting enough air, kind of a suffocating feeling. And, the machine seems to occasionally cut off the pressure before I complete my inhale, What do you suggest to fix these problems? Oh yeah, my old Resmed s8 used to hiss but this machine hums? on the pressure stroke, very similar to my cell phone on vibrate, that's going to take some getting used to.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2014, 05:48 AM)jpsantell Wrote: The VA sent me a Remstar Auto A-flex System One instead of a S9, apparently they have a shortage of S9s. Is it a good machine?

That's a good machine, in some ways better.

Quote:I have a few problems with it. The provider set the pressures to 6 and 16, I think the doctor based this on my old sleep study.

Previously you were at 5.6 and 20. Do you know if you spent significant amounts of time between 16 and 20?

Quote:I have a Swift nose pillow mask and I don't feel as though I'm getting enough air, kind of a suffocating feeling.

You may feel as though you are suffocating, and when you do your heart and respiration rate go up because you're nervous. It's psychological. You aren't suffocating. Try wearing the mask during the day when you're reading or listening to music. It'll help you adapt.

Quote:And, the machine seems to occasionally cut off the pressure before I complete my inhale,

That's likely the A-Flex kicking in, my machine does that, too, but it stops when I relax and stop worrying about it. If you want you can lower the amount of A-Flex.

Quote:Oh yeah, my old Resmed s8 used to hiss but this machine hums? on the pressure stroke, very similar to my cell phone on vibrate, that's going to take some getting used to.

White noise in the background, like from an air filter or a radio with no antenna will help. You could also try ear plugs.

I think that as you adapt to the new machine these issues will subside.

The major advantage to the Respironics machines compared to the ResMeds is that you don't have to download your data weekly.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'm sure you've heard about the problems getting appointments at the VA, I'm having my"6 week visit" next Monday, it's closer to a six month visit.
Post Reply Post Reply

That's good news! If you are going for your fitting on Friday - how much longer will it take after that?

I am brand new to CPAP. On tail end of week three. I am feeling a little bit better and better every few days. I hope you find relief with your new machine.

Good Luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sparkle

This is an old thread (November 2014) so the OP may not respond. It looks like they haven't been to the forum since that date.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2015, 02:46 PM)me50 Wrote: Hi Sparkle

This is an old thread (November 2014) so the OP may not respond. It looks like they haven't been to the forum since that date.

Thanks <giggle> I have to pay closer attention to that Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 180 4 hours ago
Last Post: 40plus
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 459 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 278 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Member with new BiPap question Pbeth1 9 198 03-25-2024, 05:13 PM
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 5,380 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
  Need help... Brain fog and constantly tired pulseoximeter 4 271 03-18-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: pulseoximeter
  tired during the day kwolsen 3 176 03-17-2024, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.