Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New To Apnea Board [confirmation of my data analysis]
RE: New To Apnea Board [confirmation of my SleepyHead data analysis]
With the P10 you should use the largest pillows you can so it doesn't protrude very far into your nose. You can also use a bit of lanolin cream to treat the sore spot in your nose until you get use to it. If the headgear is too loose try using the clips that come with it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I wondered what those clips were for ..... dooooh.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-09-2018, 10:56 AM)jbuch002 Wrote: OK ..... I've seen plenty of soft collars. Not any I'd ware to sleep. Type and where to purchase one that is intended for this particular use? Any thoughts on making the P10 more comfortable and keeping it in-place from those that "love" this device given my comments about the funky straps on it? What's behind the discomfort in the left nares? Do I have it too tight? - I tend to think that is not the case as if I leave it comfortably loose, it leaks. Comments from others who like the P10, had trouble with nostril discomfort or straps and use a soft cervical collar to keep from mouth breathing/head tucking would be appreciated.

I'm giving up on the P10 because of the discomfort...no, actually the pain...in the left nares (what is it with the left?). Wednesday night, with the small, I took it off about 4am and thought, whoa, that hurts! Couldn't face putting it back on again. Last night, tried the medium, thinking maybe the larger size might be better. Oh no...a couple of hours later, I was in so much pain, I had to take the mask off and I was almost in tears.

I've given up on the P10. It's not too tight. I'm using the regular headgear and it's pretty loose.

I am having a hard time finding a good fit  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, booksfan, that was my experience as well after switching from FFM (Amara View) to NP (ResMed P10) ..... on the advise of Walla Walla, I put a think layer of lanolin (avoid any lotions with petrolatum) in both nares. It worked pretty well to reduce what is probably friction from the subtle movement of the nasal pillow in and out.  I'm using a Burt's Bees Skin Care product that has no Petroleum Jelly in it and isn't goopy at all.

I don't know if this is related but I also bought a cervical collar and rather like it but am not quite used to it yet. Side sleeping on a pillow and without neck support (on the left or right) deforms the frame/mask a bit and this probably increases friction within the nares and definitely produces leaks. The collar (I am trying the Caldera - $19 on Amazon) mostly stops that by keeping the sleeper from chin tucking.  Added benefit: reduced hyponeas considerably. That makes perfect sense from an oropharyngeal anatomy standpoint. Because your chin is elevated gently by the soft collar, I don't think I'm getting any mouth breathing/airway collapse. I also don't have to wear a chin-strap with my P10 that I found too intrusive on my face. It worked but it wasn't comfortable. The cervical collar is better.

I am still experiencing a lot of awakening and, frustrated by not being able to get back to sleep, just toss the thing off. I go immediately back to sleep. Last 4 nights I'm only getting 4-5h mask time. Will keep working on that. Any insight on frequent awakenings not in the presence of high leak rates would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-12-2018, 03:11 PM)jbuch002 Wrote: Well, booksfan, that was my experience as well after switching from FFM (Amara View) to NP (ResMed P10) ..... on the advise of Walla Walla, I put a think layer of lanolin (avoid any lotions with petrolatum) in both nares. It worked pretty well to reduce what is probably friction from the subtle movement of the nasal pillow in and out.  I'm using a Burt's Bees Skin Care product that has no Petroleum Jelly in it and isn't goopy at all.

I don't know if this is related but I also bought a cervical collar and rather like it but am not quite used to it yet. Side sleeping on a pillow and without neck support (on the left or right) deforms the frame/mask a bit and this probably increases friction within the nares and definitely produces leaks. The collar (I am trying the Caldera - $19 on Amazon) mostly stops that by keeping the sleeper from chin tucking.  Added benefit: reduced hyponeas considerably. That makes perfect sense from an oropharyngeal anatomy standpoint. Because your chin is elevated gently by the soft collar, I don't think I'm getting any mouth breathing/airway collapse. I also don't have to wear a chin-strap with my P10 that I found too intrusive on my face. It worked but it wasn't comfortable. The cervical collar is better.

I am still experiencing a lot of awakening and, frustrated by not being able to get back to sleep, just toss the thing off. I go immediately back to sleep. Last 4 nights I'm only getting 4-5h mask time. Will keep working on that. Any insight on frequent awakenings not in the presence of high leak rates would be appreciated.

Hi, jbuch002,

I don't think that I am mouth-breathing, because when I don't sleep with a mask, sometimes for an hour or so in the morning, I DO mouth breathe.  I can tell because (TMI, I apologize in advance) I have a tendency to drool. No drooling with any mask so far.

However, I DO tuck my chin and have thought that perhaps I should try some kind of collar to prevent that. But since I am not sleeping, have not found a mask that stays on and that I can sleep on my stomach with, I have been hesitant to add another layer of possible discomfort/wakefulness.

I have ordered a CPAP pillow, which I hope will help with stomach and side sleeping, and I keep trying different masks. I find that the Nuance Pro is fairly comfortable and sometimes have minimal leaks with it, but it does not stay on my head very well. The back strap slips up terribly. However, I am using my husband's old headgear and plan to get a new set, hoping that will help.

Hoping to be able to sleep soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
Need some interpretation of SleepyHead data for a couple of nights. I'm now fully into the third month of CPAP Therapy. Biggest problem has been night time awakenings (lots of RERAs) usually associated with large leak rates and/or movement. Have switched from FFM to NP and a chin strap to a soft cervical collar to control mouth breathing and chin tucking.  NP with the cervical collar is the most comfortable for me.  Generally time of use has increased and AHIs never above 7.0 except for one night with lots of events over a short period of use. Have a look ..... I can cone down on any event you might want to look at if needed. I'm a side sleeper mostly. To me it appears that if I roll onto my back I'll get leaks/will snore. RERAs occur soon after then I will awaken. Quiet side sleeping, when I'm there, produces the best sleep and lowest AHI.  Events still seem to be associated with movement and leaks. CPAP set a 10 seems to be well tolerated and doing the job. Thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not tempted to modify pressure or EPR from the results presented here. You have had inconsistent results since the beginning of this process, and found solutions to improve comfort and overall results. In these latest results we see a huge but inexplicable cluster of CA at the end of a session, and there is nothing we can recommend for that. Without that cluster, your AHI is about 2.0. The March 5 sesssion looks pretty good at 1.7, although a bit short. Not sure what causes the disruption in therapy after 02:00, but there was some noticeably lower respiratory volume at that time.

Overall, the respiratory statistics look pretty good. Your results are not significantly improved from auto pressure to fixed pressure, and the EPR at 1 and 2 has been fine. If you're looking for a change in approach, then auto pressure from 8.0 to 11.0 with EPR at 1 or 2 are all viable, and should produce similar results provided you deal with the positional issues. My recommendation is to do what is most comfortable and provides the best sleep within those parameters.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for your input Sleeprider ........ I agree, I can't seem to pin down any one thing as the cause of a set of events (e.g., all those CAs in a huge cluster). Other than positional issues there is no consistency.

I will try going back to auto, 8-11, EPR at 1-2, with that small pressure bump on the high end potentially cutting down on the snoring. I've tried using pillows to block me from rolling over on my back. I don't think the soft collar works as well in keeping my chin and therefor my pallet elevated as well as in the side sleeping position - just a guess.  I'll double my effort to side sleep. Maybe a little more pressure will keep my airway open to prevent snoring. Let's hope.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 7 319 03-24-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: ef8mk
  New and in Need OSCAR Analysis Well Marbled 1 65 1,397 03-23-2024, 12:34 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 200 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Help with Oscar Analysis SleepyinMD 0 144 03-07-2024, 10:04 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMD
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,315 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  New to the board: Pre Therapy, suspected Central Apnea MVoltaire 12 481 02-28-2024, 04:31 PM
Last Post: MVoltaire

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.