Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Traveller
New Traveller
I just started using a CPAP, a REZMED Airsense 10 Autoset. I am also using an EVERFLO Q oxygen concentrator. I travel quite a bit and am wondering if there are going to be health issues using only a travel CPAP, like the IntelliPAP AutoAdjust Travel CPAP or the Transcend miniCPAP, without the oxygen concentrator. Does anyone have any opinions and/or suggestions on travel size CPAPs? Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New Traveller
Welcome

Only your doctor can say if you should travel without benefit of oxygen.
It was added for a reason. I would guess because you were desaturating during the night.

If your doctor approves of travel without oxygen, then why not just pack up your Airsense 10?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for your reply! I have a meeting with the Dr next week and will ask him. After looking at the "travel" models, I guess they really are not a lot smaller than the Airsense...

Thanks again!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi slysleeper,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
The travel models are not a lot smaller than the current generation of CPAP machines, and tend to be louder and fragile. Some (most?) lack humidification and Auto-PAP options. They are probably worth it if you are backpacking or otherwise going off the grid and really need to minimize space and weight. If you are flying or driving, they don't make sense to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
If you need oxygen to compensate for nighttime desaturation, you may wish to ask your physician if you can use one of the newer pulse oxygen metering systems that can dramatically extend your use time from a portable oxygen bottle. This may allow you to use one of the smaller bottles for increased mobility. These devices allow more efficient use of oxygen than continuous flow models. To do a little homework, you might want to Google "pulse oxygen valve" without the quotes and look at some of the vendor offerings. Become familiar with oxygen tank sizes and capacities and ask your DME, if any, for information on pulse valve solutions. Good luck.

You might be interested in this article: https://www.copdfoundation.org/COPD360so...ients.aspx

BTW -- My RESMED AirSense is so much nicer than a portable unit, that I simply take it with me. You may wish to add it to your homeowners or renters policy to ensure that it is insured while traveling.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-07-2016, 10:29 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: ....You may wish to add it to your homeowners or renters policy to ensure that it is insured while traveling.

I hadn't considered that. Would that be "scheduled" personal property?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for your advice!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice for first time CPAP traveller - sharing a room with people. Hopingforachange 5 637 07-19-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: djont57

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.