Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New Traveller
RE: New Traveller
I have been looking at the travel options as well, but more for the camping/off grid type of thing.

I'm using the Philips Dreamstation with the removable humidifier.

After looking at the travel type CPAP units, and also finding there are various battery power packs available to run the machines when no mains power is available, I have decided I will ultimately go that route rather than buy a second small CPAP unit.

A power pack capable of running the Dreamstation for up to six days is available for just under $700 Au.

The lightweight CPAPs run around $1,200 Au., so I figure I'm $500 ahead on the outlay.. though there are other cheaper power packs that are lower capacity and will only run a machine for one or two nights.

My camping is by four wheel drive or motorcycle, so I will have to change how I do it a little to make sure I can take the CPAP with me.
When using the 4WD or motorbike and sidecar I will bush camp on trips because I have the room to carry the machine and the power pack, along with all my camping gear.
When doing a trip on two wheels I will have to settle for pub/motel/caravan park stays and leave the camping gear behind, but the routes will still be back roads and forest trails... it will just take a bit more map planning before each ride.

Ultimately it comes down to modifying how you do things, and what you carry on trips, to accommodate your new situation of needing to use a CPAP nightly.
Post Reply Post Reply
I cant answer your question but I would like to comment o the mini machines. They are indeed much smaller than even the new cpaps and are available in both cpap and auto models. They are expensive and may take some getting used to but I can attest to the fact that at least the Z1 family is not at all fragile. If you travel a lot, and by that I mean weekly or twice a month by air and do only carry-on and don't want a third bag or give up a lot of space in yur roll aboard then the travel models are great. Humity can be accommodated with an HME.

Road warriors usually carry their entire life in their backpacks and rollers so size and weight are definitely a factor and they Z1 family, for instance will fit in a pocket of your backpack and you can leave everything packed all the time.

If you're definition of frequent traveling does not include airplanes and is only a half dozen times a year than the mini's probably don't make financial sense although they certainly are still very convenient.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-08-2016, 12:34 PM)bill-e Wrote: I cant answer your question but I would like to comment o the mini machines. They are indeed much smaller than even the new cpaps and are available in both cpap and auto models. They are expensive and may take some getting used to but I can attest to the fact that at least the Z1 family is not at all fragile. If you travel a lot, and by that I mean weekly or twice a month by air and do only carry-on and don't want a third bag or give up a lot of space in yur roll aboard then the travel models are great. Humity can be accommodated with an HME.

Road warriors usually carry their entire life in their backpacks and rollers so size and weight are definitely a factor and they Z1 family, for instance will fit in a pocket of your backpack and you can leave everything packed all the time.

If you're definition of frequent traveling does not include airplanes and is only a half dozen times a year than the mini's probably don't make financial sense although they certainly are still very convenient.

Good reply/thoughts from someone with experience in the smaller units.
Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advice for first time CPAP traveller - sharing a room with people. Hopingforachange 5 673 07-19-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: djont57

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.