Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow
Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow
I recently switched from a Full face mask to a Nasal Pillow (P10) due to its inconvenience.

I am unsure if I am a mouth-breather or not, hence I am worried that my therapy may not be as effective as it should be if I am mouth-breathing whilst wearing a nasal pillow.

My question is would can the CPAP machine (OSCAR) detect leaks due to mouth-breathing if I am using a nasal pillow.

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can Mouth Breathing with Nasal Pillow
Yes you can tell if you are mouth breathing. You may need to zoom in on your breathing pattern. First look at the bottom of the post to see about chart organization. Use F12 for a screenshot and download your OSCAR charts and someone here will tell you which area to zoom in on if they need it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
A cottonmouth indicates mouth breathing without taking a look at any charts.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2021, 12:41 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Yes you can tell if you are mouth breathing. You may need to zoom in on your breathing pattern. First look at the bottom of the post to see about chart organization. Use F12 for a screenshot and download your OSCAR charts and someone here will tell you which area to zoom in on if they need it.

I have attached a screenshot of one of my Oscar charts.

Please let meknow if there is any area you want me to zoom in on

(04-04-2021, 03:29 AM)multicast Wrote: A cottonmouth indicates mouth breathing without taking a look at any charts.

I actually drool a lot while sleeping.

Does this mean I am not a mouthbreather?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Zoom two or three minutes around 3:20 when leakage is high.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2021, 01:27 PM)multicast Wrote: Zoom two or three minutes around 3:20 when leakage is high.

Please find the zoomed chart attached.

Post Reply Post Reply
Your leak rate at 3:20 looks like air is escaping your mouth. There is an extended period with an excess leak rate of 20 L/min. That's not terrible, it is just a part of the night the air got away from you, and the machine still maintained pressure. What I wan to know, is why your CPAP drops to 4 cm when your minimum pressure setting is 10.0?

[Image: attachment.php?aid=31221]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe my leak rate is lower than when I was wearing the FFM. Please see attached screenshot. Should I keep using the nasal pillows even with the mouth leaks that you mentioned.

Regarding the drop in pressure, I could remember that I slept on the same bed as my fiancee on that night and maybe didn't sleep as deeply as I would have liked to.  The pressure has not dropped that low on other nights.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-04-2021, 08:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: What I wan to know, is why your CPAP drops to 4 cm when your minimum pressure setting is 10.0?

Ramp I bet.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,103 2 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 29 4 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 367 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 157 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 313 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 227 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 317 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.