Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro / mirage air
Humidifier: h5i
CPAP Pressure: unsure
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Exclaimation New User -- 1 night in so far
recently diagnosed with a AHI reading of +85

last night was my first night on treatment with ResMed autoset S9, with a H5i humidifier and the Mirage Quattro mask

was not really sure if i would get or see any results after one night but i have to say i am abounding with energy today, no afternoon nap needed, my constant hunger pangs have vanished and yes i do feel different

my AHI reading this morning was 2.3, not too sure how good that is but its much better than +85

i actually got a full 4 hours sleep straight through, followed by another 3 hour stint, this is unheard of. i usually wake every hour or so

my only issue was when i did wake during night and in morning my mouth was bone dry -- my H5i setting was 27 celcius and 4.5 --- any recommendations to change that may help me? greatly appreciated

Sleep-well
01-19-2013 02:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
britincanada Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Respironics BiBpapautoSV Advanced
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model:
Humidifier: unsure
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

RE: New User -- 1 night in so far
Congratulations from AHI reading of +85 to 2.3

Anything under 5 is great give it time and see how it settles

welcome to the club
01-19-2013 02:49 PM
SPOUSE Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Female

That is fantastic progress for one night. Sounds as if you have the heated Climateline hose? If so, make sure your humidifier is filled to the max line tonite and then set it to a higher temp and/or higher humidity and see if that helps the dry mouth.

Also, you may be breathing through your mouth? But with such a low number I doubt it.

Excellent start! Keep us posted.

(01-19-2013 02:03 PM)crazychef Wrote:  my only issue was when i did wake during night and in morning my mouth was bone dry -- my H5i setting was 27 celcius and 4.5 --- any recommendations to change that may help me? greatly appreciated

Sleep-well
01-19-2013 03:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

Any AHI under 5 is good! Of course, the lower the better.

If you can can change the temp. of the hose and humidity level seperately on the main screen while the hose is attached, then that means you have it set on "manual". You can try raising the humidity, but you might get rain-out. You can raise humidity level and raise hose temp. to try to prevent the rain-out...see if that helps with dryness. You could set Climate Control to "auto" and then just raise hose temp. Then you would be sure not to get rain-out...see if that helps. I have mine set to "manual" - humidity at 6 and hose temp at 86F (30C) and this helps me, but I run out of water in the tank after about 6 or 7 hours. Max humidity helps keep my sinuses clear and I find that I wake up with my mouth closed when the humidity is at max. Some people say high humidity causes problems for them. You'll just have to see what helps you. Make small adjustments over time to see what helps, but be on your guard for rain-out (if humi too high and hose temp too low, water condenses inside hose causing problems).

Congrats on the sleep. My situation was very similar. Took a while to be able to sleep longer than 4 hours...don't think my body realized it could. As my body got used to it, I started sleeping longer and things got even better.

Sleep-well
01-19-2013 03:01 PM
jgjones1972 Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Make & Model: ResMed Quattro FX
CPAP Pressure: 18 - 20

Other Comments: CMS50I PulseOx

(01-19-2013 03:00 PM)SPOUSE Wrote:  Also, you may be breathing through your mouth? But with such a low number I doubt it.

Getting dry mouth - probably IS breathing through mouth; but that's perfectly OK with full face mask. Only causes AHI (because of leaks) problems if using nasal pillows/mask and therapy escaping through mouth.
01-19-2013 03:10 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
SPOUSE Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: ResMed S9 Elite
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage FX
CPAP Pressure: 8
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

That makes sense since I do see that he is using a full face mask. Only experience so far in my house is nasal mask so I always think first about it affecting AHI.

(01-19-2013 03:10 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote:  
(01-19-2013 03:00 PM)SPOUSE Wrote:  Also, you may be breathing through your mouth? But with such a low number I doubt it.

Getting dry mouth - probably IS breathing through mouth; but that's perfectly OK with full face mask. Only causes AHI (because of leaks) problems if using nasal pillows/mask and therapy escaping through mouth.
01-19-2013 03:19 PM
Dawei Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Respironics "FitLife"
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-20

Other Comments: Began CPAP in 2006; spent the first 6 years with a "brick"

Welcome, crazychef. Using a Full Face Mask and waking with a dry mouth certainly sounds like mouth breathing during the night. Take a look at the Leakage in ResScan software. There's a red line at 24L, which is the maximum leak for which the machine can compensate, according to ResMed. If your leak rate remains above that red line for any length of time during the night, it results in skewing the data reported by the machine. That is, with a too high leak rate, the AHI and other numbers reported may not be accurate. I pay particular attention to the 95 percentile leak, which means for 95% of the time, the leak does not go above that. In the morning, you can get a quick look at leak, AHI and pressure by pressing both rectangular silver colored buttons on the machine and scrolling. The leak rate reported there is 95th percentile.
01-19-2013 05:00 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Dawei Offline

Preferred Members-2

Mask Type: Other
Mask Make & Model: Respironics "FitLife"
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-20

Other Comments: Began CPAP in 2006; spent the first 6 years with a "brick"

Correction, my error. As Spouse wrote, there should be no problem mouth breathing with a FFM (for some reason I was thinking nasal mask when I wrote that). However, you do need to check leaks from the mask seal. While mouth breathing isn't a problem with a FFM, excessive leakage is.
01-19-2013 05:04 PM
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Hi crazychef,
That's GREAT to hear that your first night with CPAP was successful, keep on hangin' in there with it.

trish6hundred
01-19-2013 05:13 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
crazychef Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: s9 autoset
Mask Make & Model: mirage quattro / mirage air
Humidifier: h5i
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments:

(01-19-2013 05:00 PM)Dawei Wrote:  Welcome, crazychef. Using a Full Face Mask and waking with a dry mouth certainly sounds like mouth breathing during the night. Take a look at the Leakage in ResScan software. There's a red line at 24L, which is the maximum leak for which the machine can compensate, according to ResMed. If your leak rate remains above that red line for any length of time during the night, it results in skewing the data reported by the machine. That is, with a too high leak rate, the AHI and other numbers reported may not be accurate. I pay particular attention to the 95 percentile leak, which means for 95% of the time, the leak does not go above that. In the morning, you can get a quick look at leak, AHI and pressure by pressing both rectangular silver colored buttons on the machine and scrolling. The leak rate reported there is 95th percentile.

thanks for info -- if i have found right report it showed 0L/hour leakage
and yes i am definatly a mouth breather
01-19-2013 05:15 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,236 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  New User! SKClay 3 237 11-21-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  new user wants advice Gazz 3 219 11-19-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Advice needed for struggling CPAP user Fubblin 35 1,942 11-18-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  First time Bipap User, years of suffering SleepyMersim 18 609 11-16-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Galactus
  New User Having Trouble Staying Asleep and more SnoreGalore 7 420 11-09-2016 06:26 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  New CPAP User Knightro82 5 312 11-06-2016 08:27 AM
Last Post: Snuffy1717