Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User -- 1 night in so far
Exclaimation 
New User -- 1 night in so far
recently diagnosed with a AHI reading of +85

last night was my first night on treatment with ResMed autoset S9, with a H5i humidifier and the Mirage Quattro mask

was not really sure if i would get or see any results after one night but i have to say i am abounding with energy today, no afternoon nap needed, my constant hunger pangs have vanished and yes i do feel different

my AHI reading this morning was 2.3, not too sure how good that is but its much better than +85

i actually got a full 4 hours sleep straight through, followed by another 3 hour stint, this is unheard of. i usually wake every hour or so

my only issue was when i did wake during night and in morning my mouth was bone dry -- my H5i setting was 27 celcius and 4.5 --- any recommendations to change that may help me? greatly appreciated

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User -- 1 night in so far
Congratulations from AHI reading of +85 to 2.3

Anything under 5 is great give it time and see how it settles

welcome to the club
Post Reply Post Reply
That is fantastic progress for one night. Sounds as if you have the heated Climateline hose? If so, make sure your humidifier is filled to the max line tonite and then set it to a higher temp and/or higher humidity and see if that helps the dry mouth.

Also, you may be breathing through your mouth? But with such a low number I doubt it.

Excellent start! Keep us posted.

(01-19-2013, 02:03 PM)crazychef Wrote: my only issue was when i did wake during night and in morning my mouth was bone dry -- my H5i setting was 27 celcius and 4.5 --- any recommendations to change that may help me? greatly appreciated

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Any AHI under 5 is good! Of course, the lower the better.

If you can can change the temp. of the hose and humidity level seperately on the main screen while the hose is attached, then that means you have it set on "manual". You can try raising the humidity, but you might get rain-out. You can raise humidity level and raise hose temp. to try to prevent the rain-out...see if that helps with dryness. You could set Climate Control to "auto" and then just raise hose temp. Then you would be sure not to get rain-out...see if that helps. I have mine set to "manual" - humidity at 6 and hose temp at 86F (30C) and this helps me, but I run out of water in the tank after about 6 or 7 hours. Max humidity helps keep my sinuses clear and I find that I wake up with my mouth closed when the humidity is at max. Some people say high humidity causes problems for them. You'll just have to see what helps you. Make small adjustments over time to see what helps, but be on your guard for rain-out (if humi too high and hose temp too low, water condenses inside hose causing problems).

Congrats on the sleep. My situation was very similar. Took a while to be able to sleep longer than 4 hours...don't think my body realized it could. As my body got used to it, I started sleeping longer and things got even better.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

(01-19-2013, 03:00 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: Also, you may be breathing through your mouth? But with such a low number I doubt it.

Getting dry mouth - probably IS breathing through mouth; but that's perfectly OK with full face mask. Only causes AHI (because of leaks) problems if using nasal pillows/mask and therapy escaping through mouth.

Post Reply Post Reply
That makes sense since I do see that he is using a full face mask. Only experience so far in my house is nasal mask so I always think first about it affecting AHI.

(01-19-2013, 03:10 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote:
(01-19-2013, 03:00 PM)SPOUSE Wrote: Also, you may be breathing through your mouth? But with such a low number I doubt it.

Getting dry mouth - probably IS breathing through mouth; but that's perfectly OK with full face mask. Only causes AHI (because of leaks) problems if using nasal pillows/mask and therapy escaping through mouth.

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome, crazychef. Using a Full Face Mask and waking with a dry mouth certainly sounds like mouth breathing during the night. Take a look at the Leakage in ResScan software. There's a red line at 24L, which is the maximum leak for which the machine can compensate, according to ResMed. If your leak rate remains above that red line for any length of time during the night, it results in skewing the data reported by the machine. That is, with a too high leak rate, the AHI and other numbers reported may not be accurate. I pay particular attention to the 95 percentile leak, which means for 95% of the time, the leak does not go above that. In the morning, you can get a quick look at leak, AHI and pressure by pressing both rectangular silver colored buttons on the machine and scrolling. The leak rate reported there is 95th percentile.
Post Reply Post Reply
Correction, my error. As Spouse wrote, there should be no problem mouth breathing with a FFM (for some reason I was thinking nasal mask when I wrote that). However, you do need to check leaks from the mask seal. While mouth breathing isn't a problem with a FFM, excessive leakage is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi crazychef,
That's GREAT to hear that your first night with CPAP was successful, keep on hangin' in there with it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 05:00 PM)Dawei Wrote: Welcome, crazychef. Using a Full Face Mask and waking with a dry mouth certainly sounds like mouth breathing during the night. Take a look at the Leakage in ResScan software. There's a red line at 24L, which is the maximum leak for which the machine can compensate, according to ResMed. If your leak rate remains above that red line for any length of time during the night, it results in skewing the data reported by the machine. That is, with a too high leak rate, the AHI and other numbers reported may not be accurate. I pay particular attention to the 95 percentile leak, which means for 95% of the time, the leak does not go above that. In the morning, you can get a quick look at leak, AHI and pressure by pressing both rectangular silver colored buttons on the machine and scrolling. The leak rate reported there is 95th percentile.

thanks for info -- if i have found right report it showed 0L/hour leakage
and yes i am definatly a mouth breather
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New CPAP user - Longest night I've been able to keep it on bopbop 4 402 01-31-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: bopbop
  new CPAP user night 12 .......runny nose Barbara Williams 0 351 11-11-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Barbara Williams
  First night with hose cover, night was full of major mask leaks TiredTom111 2 851 06-30-2023, 01:44 PM
Last Post: TiredTom111
  Hello folks, here is my graph from last night and night before Phil487 5 898 06-15-2023, 02:05 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New user - overall good results but last night rough djpax13 3 582 08-01-2022, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Psychotech
Question New CPAP user. Apparently I take off my mask at night, no memory of this. liquilife 1 637 07-27-2022, 06:42 PM
Last Post: hh9797
  [CPAP] Brand new CPAP user, seeing results after 1st night GoddessScully 7 838 07-26-2022, 10:05 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.