Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Feels like my inhalation is cut off by APAP (Dreamstation)?!
RE: Feels like my inhalation is cut off by APAP (Dreamstation)?!
Yes, the AFlex drop is deeper and longer than the CFlex.
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn't notice much difference between A-flex 1,2, and 3 settings on the Dreamstation APAP, but 'Off' worked wonders for my AHI within 2 days of turning it off.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check to see you are using c flex not cflex +
Cflex plus gives an inhalation drop c flex doesnt
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Chill, Northern Guy and Ghost1958.
The Dreamstation doesn't have a CFlex+ setting, so we can rule that one out.
Update of tonight with Flex off: no more air sucking! (by the machine at least). On the other hand: The Burps Are Back:-(.
So it seems to be either gasping or burping. The burps mostly tend to occur towards the early morning, I wonder why that would be? It doesn't seem to be related to the pressure, since that goes up also during earlier parts of the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, Snurkel. I am not clear from reading your post whether your machine has a plain C-Flex setting (like the EPR on ResMed machines.) If it does, you might try that to see if you like it better. It doesn't drop the pressure until exhalation actually starts.

Re the burping problem, I can only guess that maybe you are swallowing a little bit of air all night and then at some point, you have swallowed so much that burping starts. Also, our breathing changes some during different stages of sleep, so you may be swallowing more air during REM sleep. Just guessing there. The air swallowing is a temporary problem for most people when they first begin CPAP. It continues for a few and they generally end up with a BiPAP machine.

Regarding the whole problem with not liking the way the changes in pressure feel with the Flex settings, I found that the air pressure changes from the CPAP machine seemed very strong and noticeable to me when I first started CPAP therapy. Now, when I'm awake and notice that the machine's Flex behavior and my breathing are not in sync, my breathing feels way stronger than the pressure from the machine.

I'm not sure if our breathing actually changes during the CPAP adjustment period, or if it has more to do with our threshold of perception.
Post Reply Post Reply
There are only two Flex modes, the naming is for marketing purposes, as far as I can tell. From the Remstar manual:

Quote:C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation to improve comfort based on your needs.

Quote:A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation to improve comfort based on your needs.When providing Auto-Trial therapy, this comfort feature is called A-Flex. When providing CPAP or CPAP-Check therapy, this comfort feature is called C-Flex+.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Green Wings for thinking along with me.
Meanwhile I changed the settings back to where it all started:
CPAP at 6. The APAP setting on the Dreamstation generates pressure spikes at regular intervals, which don't seem to be related to my breathing pattern. At every spike I start 'eating air' with every inhalation and I ended up feeling like a zeppelin and had to relieve myself in several ways.
So I'm back at the good old CPAP setting, without any Flex. Tonight will be the first full night on these settings, but my experience of part of last night are making me look forward to this one.Smile
Hopefully it will show I wasn't designed for all the fancy options; it will make it easier to buy a spare CPAP in the future.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 87 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 371 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 573 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  APAP optimization assistance jayed53 9 429 03-14-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: jayed53
  srwilsn3's therapy thread | APAP -> BiPAP srwilsn3 34 1,417 03-14-2024, 02:23 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Help optimizing APAP SomeUser 8 1,148 03-12-2024, 03:51 AM
Last Post: SomeUser

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.