Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: AirSense10
CPAP Pressure: 6-20
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male
New User: Finding the Perfect Fit for Nasal Pillows
I am two weeks into this new world. I started off with the AirFit P10 (with my Resmed AirSense 10). The performance numbers were all good, but I found it placed pressure on the end of my nose (both as a function of the shape of my nose, and that the straps are not adjustable for my size large head), so my supplier recommended a different mask.

In my second week, I used a Swift FX. It was immediately far more comfortable to wear, but no matter how I have it adjusted, I wind up with leaks for large portions of the night as the mask is deformed or pulled away as I move in my sleep (Thanks to Sleepyhead for enabling me to see the raw data!)

I've just picked up the P10 to give it another try, and see if I can live with the pressure on my nose, and get back to the far better results I was seeing in the first week.

Does anyone have insight on this question, and how to find the best fit? Perhaps a guide to the fit of different units, or suggestions for those with larger heads?

Thank you.
04-07-2016 10:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
letsgobuffalo12 Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 - AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Airfit P10
Humidifier: Built-in w/ heated tube
CPAP Pressure: 12cm

Other Comments:

RE: New User: Finding the Perfect Fit for Nasal Pillows
I also use the AirFit P10 mask and have a fairly large head myself (7 5/8"). I find that if I move the upper strap of the 2 up near the crown of my head it makes it a bit looser. If I move the upper strap closer to the base strap (which is always near the base of my neck) it provides a much tighter fit. Depending on if I am sleeping on my side or back I will adjust accordingly. Hope this helps!
04-07-2016 10:53 AM
sdb7802 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: PR DreamStation Auto
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: built-in with heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 9.5-14 C-Flex 3

Other Comments: Retired Electrical Engineer; began using cpap in 2001; FlashAir wifi card and FlashPAP app

RE: New User: Finding the Perfect Fit for Nasal Pillows
I have a large head also. (When I was a little kid we lived in sort of a housing project across a canal from two giant cotton mills (The former site of The Confederate Powder Works: made most of the gunpowder used by the South). When my brother and I would walk down the sidewalk, some of the neighbors would say: "Here comes the jugheads".) F. them.

Anyway, I do what letsgobuffalo12 does.

Another idea is to cut the strap(s) and sew a small cloth spacer in place. Just an idea.

I tried the Swift FX; it leaked like hell.

Just my personal opinion. My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact. Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel. Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
04-07-2016 12:44 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Equipment] Advice on transitioning from pillows to FFM? Strat0caster 8 108 Yesterday 10:58 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  New User Problem with BiPAP AVAPS - Part 1 jmayer180 35 1,246 11-27-2016 09:50 AM
Last Post: jmayer180
  New User! SKClay 3 243 11-21-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  new user wants advice Gazz 3 220 11-19-2016 11:06 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Advice needed for struggling CPAP user Fubblin 35 1,946 11-18-2016 07:18 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad Help Finding A Machine, No Insurance SJGino 23 724 11-17-2016 09:03 PM
Last Post: SJGino
  First time Bipap User, years of suffering SleepyMersim 18 615 11-16-2016 11:46 PM
Last Post: Galactus