Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User: Finding the Perfect Fit for Nasal Pillows
New User: Finding the Perfect Fit for Nasal Pillows
I am two weeks into this new world. I started off with the AirFit P10 (with my Resmed AirSense 10). The performance numbers were all good, but I found it placed pressure on the end of my nose (both as a function of the shape of my nose, and that the straps are not adjustable for my size large head), so my supplier recommended a different mask.

In my second week, I used a Swift FX. It was immediately far more comfortable to wear, but no matter how I have it adjusted, I wind up with leaks for large portions of the night as the mask is deformed or pulled away as I move in my sleep (Thanks to Sleepyhead for enabling me to see the raw data!)

I've just picked up the P10 to give it another try, and see if I can live with the pressure on my nose, and get back to the far better results I was seeing in the first week.

Does anyone have insight on this question, and how to find the best fit? Perhaps a guide to the fit of different units, or suggestions for those with larger heads?

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User: Finding the Perfect Fit for Nasal Pillows
I also use the AirFit P10 mask and have a fairly large head myself (7 5/8"). I find that if I move the upper strap of the 2 up near the crown of my head it makes it a bit looser. If I move the upper strap closer to the base strap (which is always near the base of my neck) it provides a much tighter fit. Depending on if I am sleeping on my side or back I will adjust accordingly. Hope this helps!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User: Finding the Perfect Fit for Nasal Pillows
I have a large head also. (When I was a little kid we lived in sort of a housing project across a canal from two giant cotton mills (The former site of The Confederate Powder Works: made most of the gunpowder used by the South). When my brother and I would walk down the sidewalk, some of the neighbors would say: "Here comes the jugheads".) F. them.

Anyway, I do what letsgobuffalo12 does.

Another idea is to cut the strap(s) and sew a small cloth spacer in place. Just an idea.

I tried the Swift FX; it leaked like hell.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Finding right mask- 1 week in GOIRISH65 3 223 03-02-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 399 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  'Near-perfect' flowrate graphs CPAPnerd 7 431 02-11-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.