Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Can you run an Airsense 10 off a couple of deep-cycle 12v batteries?
Can you run an Airsense 10 off a couple of deep-cycle 12v batteries?
Our power utility has sent out a notice that our power will be off this Friday night from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.

At this point I don't want to spend the money on a dedicated battery system for my Airsense 10 -- particularly since it technically isn't mine anyway, but loaned by my HMO.

I see in the specs that the Airsense 10 runs on 24 volts dc power. We have a number of large 12v deep-cycle batteries around the house, the kind you use in a boat or RV, etc. If I put two batteries in series, that gives me 24v, which I can certainly doublecheck with a multimeter. So then the only question is finding a connector that would fit the Airsense. (Also, I gather that many people disable the heated hose when running on batteries, though with these big batteries that may not be necessary.)

Seems straightforward, but I'm curious if anyone else has ever done this?

EDIT: It looks as though the connector may be the problem, at least if batteries normally plug in to the same power port that the corded power supply does. The connector there is unlike any of many connector types I have in my electronics toolbox. Also, the voltage across the corded power supply's output pins measures 3v, quite a bit different from teh 24v I saw in Airsense 10 specs somewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can you run an Airsense 10 off a couple of deep-cycle 12v batteries?
Actually I found an inverter which will turn 12vdc into ~110vac. I can run that off a couple of 12v batteries in parallel, and plug the AirSense 10's regular power supply into the output. Simpler, more straightforward and probably safer than experimenting with other ways of doing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are running the inverter, you do not need to do anything special. A deep cycle 12 volt battery should handle a full night, and operating two or more batteries in parallel will increase capacity without affecting voltage. Clearly, an inverter is a very inefficient way to to run the CPAP. You can buy a 12 to 24 volt converter specifically for the Resmed CPAP machines that will directly power your CPAP without the AC inverter. This will greatly increase the run-time as compared to using an inverter, and much longer if you do not run the heated humidifier or tube. Do a search for:
ResMed AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 DC Power Supply 37297
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2019, 01:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: You can buy a 12 to 24 volt converter specifically for the Resmed CPAP machines that will directly power your CPAP without the AC inverter. This will greatly increase the run-time as compared to using an inverter, and much longer if you do not run the heated humidifier or tube. Do a search for:
ResMed AirSense 10 and AirCurve 10 DC Power Supply 37297

Sounds like a good long-term solution, if I were going to be going without power on a regular basis. At $90-ish it isn't cheap, and I don't see anywhere that would get it to me before tomorrow night. So hopefully the inverter will suffice for now. I'll have to remember not only to switch out the tube but also disable the heated humidifier.
Post Reply Post Reply
https://www.resmed.com/us/dam/documents/...lo_eng.pdf

Inverters .... not a great solution but for a one night deal and already on hand, may be best option unless you want to invest a little in deeper emergency ops capability.

Resmed reacquires you use their converter. Sorry. SOL. See their battery guide linked above for your or similar machine and battery sizing for your configuration a an estimate of length of time your setup will be estimated to go. Or how big a backup you might need for whatever you would foresee as an emergency requirement. Based on personal testing, I have found that their estimates are, well, conservative... But I guess they kinda have to be.

A 12 V 35 AH deep cycle will get me about 2 nights with heated humidification, almost 8 without. You can shed heated humidification to really stretch battery life. Don't worry aobut getting up to a 24 input. The Resmed converter will step up with only negligible loss; Inverter will get you the 110/120 V AC to run it but at a significant loss.
There.  I said it.

OMMOHY
Contrarian in Residence  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 464 37 minutes ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 27 361 7 hours ago
Last Post: SheShells23
  Average AHI vs deep sleep stage AHI question BezDuh 4 573 01-24-2024, 12:08 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Need Input on AirSense 10 vs AirSense 11 b4 Ordering New CPAP mdmarmd 13 2,099 01-14-2024, 04:11 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Importance of Spont Cycle % SingleH 10 605 01-14-2024, 09:24 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  reading oscar data- deep sleep nachumj 6 799 10-10-2023, 09:34 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] What are these deep breaths and holds? phr00t 8 1,322 07-28-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: Xeros

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.