Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User: Help Define AHI
New User: Help Define AHI
Sorry, Im sure this information is already out there.

When my ACPAP reports AHI, does this number represent events that were treated, not treated or both? Is it an indication of how effective my ACPAP treatment is, or is it a representation of how severe my condition is?

I assume my machine is learning how to better treat me and there is a way to determine its efficacy. I would also like to be able to monitor the severity of my illness. Do I need this machine more of less over time? I expect AHI will answer one or both of these questions.

OSCAR's Event Breakdown has only muddied the waters further for me. I have learned alot from the wiki but am far from the full picture.

As im sure this is the most basic of questions, I am grateful for any link or answer.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User: Help Define AHI
Welcome to the forum.  

AHI is what is NOT treated.  To get an Idea of how well your machine has worked for you look at the reduction in AHI. For example my latest diagnostic study I had a AHI of 77.  Now with my machine, I frequently get an AHI of 0.5.  So that is over 76 events per hour that I am NOT getting.  

There is no way of knowing how many events your machine eliminated simply because they were eliminated and there is no way to count what is not there.

It is very uncommon to be cured to the point of not needing a CPAP, this typically is something that you will have for the rest of your life.

I do suggest that you post your daily charts and ask us what we see.  Be sure to tell us how you feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
no worries, everyone starts with limited info and most of us have had similar questions. ahi is the sum of obstructive and central apnea plus hypopnea averaged over the number of hours the machine was on in a 24 hour period, usually noon to noon. in your sleep study without cpap, it indicates the severity of your condition. when using cpap, it indicates the degree of residual apnea inadequately treated. the medical establishment considers <5 ahi as adequately treated. ahi isn't the only measure of success so be sure to describe how you feel when posting screenshots and asking questions.

your machine doesn't learn; it's up to you and/or your sleep med team to adjust for optimum efficacy. that can be determined by seeing the data reported out from the machine to a program like oscar. of course few in the med establishment will look that deeply (beyond compliance) unless you complain complain complain and they still won't choose to look at oscar data but more likely to have you do another study. but it does give you an understanding of how effective your treatment is and something to have in hand when you go to your appointments.

chances are you'll need to use the machine until some better therapy comes along. for older folks, who knows whether that'll happen in our lifetime.

stick around, read everything and ask away. best to learn how to post screenshots for the most insight from responders. before you know it, you'll be dispensing your own accumulated wisdom to the next round of newbies!
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour, sheepless. Thankyou! I now have a foundation form witch I can begin to understand this subject. I feel ALOT less lost. OSCAR makes more sense now. Soon I will figure out how to post my data. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
Aaron, welcome to Apnea Board. You have in my opinion, the best auto CPAP machine around, but according to your profile it is set to the default 4-20 pressure settings. You may have some residual AHI, but we can help you to optimize those settings to be more comfortable and treated more effectively. I look forward to seeing some charts from you to start the process.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Aaron Williams, welcome to the Apnea Board. We'll do our best to help make the therapy do it's best. Post up OSCAR data as suggested and you'll get the suggestions needed. A great eve to you.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Let us know if you need help figuring out how to post an Oscar chart. And before you post one, be sure to turn off the pie chart and the calendar so the experts can see the information in the left panel. It'll also help them if you could squeeze these graphs into the screenshot:

Events
Flow rate
Pressure
Leaks
Flow limitations
Snores.

I'm so glad you've brought your questions to this forum!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,109 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Someone please help me define "usage hours"? ryandelman 21 3,094 06-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Last Post: ryandelman
  [CPAP] Is here a difference in what Resmed and Respironics define as Hypopena? elliotg 9 1,825 03-22-2019, 06:46 PM
Last Post: elliotg
  pls define unclassified apneas nativedancer 5 2,970 06-27-2015, 09:21 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,155 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.