Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User - Help with Settings with OSCAR Screenshot
New User - Help with Settings with OSCAR Screenshot

Hello All,

I am just starting month 3 with my new ResMed Airsense 11 with Dreamwear full face mask. I would say things have been pretty successful so far. My blood pressure is way down, and I am feeling less stressed and anxious all the time. I have suffered with major anxiety and mild depression for years as well as high blood pressure, so now I am wondering if it is all related to the sleep apnea. I think people suffering with these things should automatically be given a sleep study test. None of my doctors have ever mentioned sleep apnea at all to me until a new dentist said I should be tested for it due to the size of my tongue and the way the back of my throat looks.

I did an at home sleep study and was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea with an AHI of 12.6. Average oxygen saturation was 90% with a low of 83%. Curious -  is this is pretty bad or not? I hardly slept at all with all of the equipment on me, so I feel like my results would have been even worse with a full nights sleep. 

Anyway, here is my first OSCAR screen shot which is from last night. I have no idea what I am looking at, so I would love if you all could check it out and recommend any changes or let me know what you see. I slept amazing last night, which doesn't always happen so I will try to post some more screen shots in the coming nights.  One question is EPR - mine is set to ramp only. Is that normal or should I change it to something else?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User - Help with Settings with OSCAR Screenshot
You put numbers look good now it is how you feel. There are a couple things you could change and see how they feel. 

Flow limits are apnea but they are NOT counted in the AHI. With the ResMed flow limits causes pressure increase. Flow limits also can cause sleep disturbances and stopping you from going into deep sleep. Because of the flow limits I would suggest a couple changes and take a day or two and see how you feel. 

Min 7
EPR 3 SET TO FULL TIME

you our question on O2 levels. Anytime you are under 88% needs to be looked at. If it is only a spike and NOT a period of time it is not a problem. If it is more you may need supplemental oxygen. Your Dr will need to make that decision.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2022, 11:04 AM)staceyburke Wrote: You put numbers look good now it is how you feel. There are a couple things you could change and see how they feel. 

Flow limits are apnea but they are NOT counted in the AHI. With the ResMed flow limits causes pressure increase. Flow limits also can cause sleep disturbances and stopping you from going into deep sleep. Because of the flow limits I would suggest a couple changes and take a day or two and see how you feel. 

Min 7
EPR 3 SET TO FULL TIME

you our question on O2 levels. Anytime you are under 88% needs to be looked at. If it is only a spike and NOT a period of time it is not a problem. If it is more you may need supplemental oxygen. Your Dr will need to make that decision.

I find it hard to fall asleep with anything but 5 for the minimum. I tried 6 a few times and end up turning it back down. If I set it to 7, but turn ramp on, will it help with this?
Post Reply Post Reply
With min 7 and EPR (exhale pressure relief) 3 - your exhale is 4 and that is the absolute LOWEST the pap machine can go.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Tonight I will try - 

Minimum 7
EPR 3 All Times
Ramp Off

Do you have any recs for temperature settings? The air coming out feels pretty warm and moist and I've been afraid to mess with it, but I am a person that enjoys very cool air. Just afraid of waking up congested or with a sore throat. Current Humidity Level is 4 and Temperature is auto. Is 4 for humidity high? Before I got the machine I used to wake up with  sore throat every morning and I have not had that happen once since using the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The humidity is really just a personal choice and area of the country /time of year. I went for years without humidifier.

Try turning it done - point at a time to see what you need.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2022, 12:39 PM)staceyburke Wrote: The humidity is really just a personal choice and area of the country /time of year. I went for years without humidifier.

Try turning it done - point at a time to see what you need.

Helllo,

I tried it last night with your recommended changes. Turning on EPR made things so much more comfortable! Even though I was more comfortable, I actually slept worse than the night before because I have sleep anxiety and any little change makes me start worrying that I am not going to be able to sleep. Here is my screen shot. Any thoughts? For the first couple hours I would say I was in and out of sleep or half asleep the majority of the time. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Looking good! Since you are experiencing anxiety, I would leave these setting in place for a while to allow you and your body time to adapt to them.

As a side note, you can use the F12 to take the screenshot. This only displays the OSCAR screen and not (I'm guessing) your Windows 11 menus.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flow limits are less and max pressure is lower - both should make sleep better. But it is about how you feel. I don’t see anything to change right away. If you have any problems we can try other changes but I would give this a few days and see if it makes a difference in how you FEEL.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your charts looks very good. With EPR set, your Flow Limitation came down.

I think at this point, you just need to work on your anxiety. You have an excellent Cpap to treat your apnea and you need to learn to trust it.

You know what's causing you to wake up and in time, once you realize that the machine is helping you, then you won't be so anxious about it.

Focus on comfort and how you feel. Do some deep breathing exercises before masking up and once in bed, just breathe normally, try to relax and let the Cpap do it's thing.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 114 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 225 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
Wink [CPAP] NEW USER - Assistance Needed Interpreting OSCAR Data tommythecat 1 276 02-17-2024, 12:55 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Advice Needed With Settings and Deciphering OSCAR Data WhatIsRemSleep 16 947 02-12-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Smile [CPAP] Hello, newish user trying to get settings dialed in. RustyOs 0 244 02-11-2024, 12:18 PM
Last Post: RustyOs
  New CPAP user - OSCAR Data Bourgi 7 674 02-04-2024, 06:51 PM
Last Post: Bourgi

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.