Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User Seeking Advice - Thanks!
New User Seeking Advice - Thanks!
Hello all! I was just diagnosed with OSA (AHI 17 officially but may have been a bit higher as I was awake during part of the study). I have been on therapy for one week but have not got below AHI of 5 yet (best was 5.35 but started out over 11). Seems to be going in the right direction. Interestingly, almost everything is "Hypopnea" with little or no Clear Airway or Obstructive, at least for the last 3 days.  I saw something about the Philips APAP being slow to respond to Hypopneas. Could this be an issue? Will it self-correct over time?

Separately, I'm using the AirFit nasal pillows and find myself leaking a little from my mouth at times. Is this a problem? I have no large leaks and no time over leak redline.  What is an acceptable number for leak rate and total leaks in SleepyHead?

I'm a little frustrated, but the doc says to not focus on the AHI and just get used to wearing the equipment.

I look forward to your thoughts and help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User Seeking Advice - Thanks!
CPAP is not an instant fix. Your start sounds similar to mine. It takes time and patience. Did I say it takes patience. 

Stay tuned for more advice.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
It is hard to suggest anything without seeing the data.
Please see my sig and download sleepyhead (free) organize (important) and post your data.
Your machine performs better in a tighter band, but we need to see how you are doing.

Are you having trouble keeping your mask on or anything like that?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi WantoSleep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
CPAP therapy can take some getting used to, so just stick with it; it does get better over time.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and good luck to you on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, I think your doctor is right about encouraging you to focus on getting used to the equipment. If numbers have come down to around 5, you're off to a good start. Your machine is set to a wide range of pressure for now, getting that narrowed down closer to your 90% pressure will bring the AHI down. However, your doctor might want to have it set like this for a while to get some data before choosing a different pressure setting. If he/she doesn't, then the folks here will be able to advise you how to optimize the settings.
Best of luck with your therapy, and don't worry too much, all will be fine. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
leaking at the mouth is a problem, there are several things you can try. foam neck collars, chin straps, mouth tape, or get a full face mask that covers your nose and mouth. Till you are able to post charts, I would roughly set the minimum pressure at your median, if your machine shows it on the display screen or by the sleepyhead program. As your doctor said, getting use to CPAP and keeping the mask on all night, is the first priority
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2017, 06:23 PM)WantoSleep Wrote: Hello all! I was just diagnosed with OSA (AHI 17 officially but may have been a bit higher as I was awake during part of the study). I have been on therapy for one week but have not got below AHI of 5 yet (best was 5.35 but started out over 11). Seems to be going in the right direction. Interestingly, almost everything is "Hypopnea" with little or no Clear Airway or Obstructive, at least for the last 3 days.  I saw something about the Philips APAP being slow to respond to Hypopneas. Could this be an issue? Will it self-correct over time?

The Phillips Apap is slower to respond than the ResMed machines, but no, this is not a problem.  
When your machine is set up correctly, your Apap will work as well as the ResMed.  
I suspect that your minimum pressure of 5cm is a bit too low.  Maybe raising it to 6 will help until we can see some data and be better able to advise.

Separately, I'm using the AirFit nasal pillows and find myself leaking a little from my mouth at times. Is this a problem? I have no large leaks and no time over leak redline.  What is an acceptable number for leak rate and total leaks in SleepyHead?

You can try a chinstrap if you are mouth breathing, but I believe a more comfortable choice is a
"Soft" cervical collar.  It will keep your neck aligned and your mouth/jaw from dropping.
From the Beginners Guide to SleepyHead, information on Leaks.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Head#Leaks

I'm a little frustrated, but the doc says to not focus on the AHI and just get used to wearing the equipment.

It does take some time to adjust to wearing a mask and being attached to a hose every night.  Once you get a few more posts, send us a screenshot of the daily page of SleepyHead.  Follow the tutorials in my signature line.  This will show you how to organize your graphs and upload here.

I look forward to your thoughts and help!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone - what a helpful group!  I have a screenshot of my data from last night, but the forum won't let me post a link yet.  I there any way I can get this to some of you so you can advise me further?

Many thanks,

WantoSleep
Post Reply Post Reply
You can post an incomplete link (add a space in H ttp:, or wait until you have 4 or more posts. It won't be long. Welcome.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour is correct in that we need to see data.  My initial impression is that your minimum pressure needs to be raised; but we can't make a recommendation without knowing your 90%/95% pressure.  There are other considerations as well.  Air leaks from your mouth may not be significant in term of large leaks, but mouth leaks can cause ugly dry mouth and can comprimise your perceptive sleep quality.  Ther are also effective ways to deal with this: chinstrap, cervical collar, tongue training and taping.  I personnalymust use a chinstrap and I do tape.  Poat your data and you will get excellent help here.  Welcome.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR advice juniper 7 176 04-12-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 52 2,544 04-06-2024, 01:23 PM
Last Post: akarifur
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 329 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 18 466 03-31-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 293 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 1,030 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 188 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.