Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User Seeking Advice - Thanks!
RE: New User Seeking Advice - Thanks!
(05-14-2017, 06:23 PM)IWantoSleep Wrote: Hello all! I was just diagnosed with OSA (AHI 17 officially but may have been a bit higher as I was awake during part of the study). I have been on therapy for one week but have not got below AHI of 5 yet (best was 5.35 but started out over 11). Seems to be going in the right direction. Interestingly, almost everything is "Hypopnea" with little or no Clear Airway or Obstructive, at least for the last 3 days.  I saw something about the Philips APAP being slow to respond to Hypopneas. Could this be an issue? Will it self-correct over time?

Separately, I'm using the AirFit nasal pillows and find myself leaking a little from my mouth at times. Is this a problem? I have no large leaks and no time over leak redline.  What is an acceptable number for leak rate and total leaks in SleepyHead?

I'm a little frustrated, but the doc says to not focus on the AHI and just get used to wearing the equipment.

I look forward to your thoughts and help!

Welcome Wantosleep,

It's still early days yet and contrary to the Philips Apap being slow, it actually has advantages for newbies starting on Apap treatment and is a good machine. The surge of air pressure can be difficult for some people and the gentler pressure change with the Philips actually makes it easier to get used to treatment. AHI around 5 during the 1st 2 weeks is still ok. Your doc will probably adjust the range in due course. No Clear Airway with a pressure cap of 15 cmH2O is good news.

Took me more than a month to get used to wearing the mask and not waking up at night from pressure surges.

Took 3x as long not to feel tired waking up in the morning. I actually had mild cramps in the rib cage area due to breathing under pressure 1-2 months into treatment. Was very tired waking up in the morning, like I was exercising during the night - the lungs and chest muscles probably were to some extent. 

No time over the leak red line is good for now, but you should try to get it as low as practicable. Once your charts are up, folks here will be more than happy to help you fine tune your treatment.

So hang in there!
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is the data
https://1drv.ms/i/s!ApNE0Bn0eR2lgYFRVRxs3_BktL0q3A
Post Reply Post Reply
Snapshot is enlightening. I have not seen so good a result at such low pressure. Great for now, I think. Just learn some of the techniques for handling the mouth leakage.

Oh, the leakage will probably not make the machine stumble until the lower line on leak graph is above about 30. But leaks can cause other things like "I don't like that breezy feeling", or "Momma, the noises you makin' are scaring me".

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
If it was my chart, I would be raising the minimum pressure up to 5 to 5.5 and see it that knocks out the H.
I'd even be tempted to use 6 as a minimum and see how it goes. That pressure flow seems to stop any shortness of breath feelings when falling asleep and is often recommended. Your maximum pressure is less than most minimums you will see on the charts here.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2017, 06:11 PM)ajack Wrote: If it was my chart, I would be raising the minimum pressure up to 5 to 5.5 and see it that knocks out the H.
I'd even be tempted to use 6 as a minimum and see how it goes. That pressure flow seems to stop any shortness of breath feelings when falling asleep and is often recommended. Your maximum pressure is less than most minimums you will see on the charts here.

Exactly. Minimum pressure of 6.0 should help with the hypopnea.  Still very low pressure, but the current minimum of 4.0 almost induces H events.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Thank you all - what a great resource!!!

WantoSleep
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks again for all the help and advice! I raised the minimum to 4.5, which seemed to help a bit.  Last night was my best so far (two weeks).  Please help me interpret the data from yesterday.  Link below has a space in it so I could post  Bigwink

https:// 1drv.ms/i/s!ApNE0Bn0eR2lgYFe9YnO7yy0565J9w

WantoSleep
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there, I would recommend that you remove the pie chart, uncheck the VS2 statistic so that it does not show up as well as replace the AHI chart at the bottom with the Flow Limit chart.

But from what I can see, the recommendation that you set your minimum to 6 is what I would strongly suggest as well to reduce those Hypopneas. I would also reduce your max setting to 12 since you are not even getting close to the current max and tightening up the settings a bit might result in a more efficient algorithm. Also, it would be helpful to know what your flex settings (exhale pressure relief) is set at. Removing the pie chart should reveal those numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't seem to have a Flow Limit Chart, and I can't figure out how to hide the Pie Chart on the left (I was able to hide the calendar). I'm using a Mac. My Flex is set at "2". Any thoughts?

Thanks,

WantoSleep
Post Reply Post Reply
One more thing. You suggest I set the minimum to 6 to get rid of the Hypopnea, but 95% of the time I am at or below 5.5, with a max of 6.  I would basically be setting the min at the nightly max. I that okay?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 282 2 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 169 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 861 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,796 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  Eagerly seeking ancient CPAP part ! Visualist 3 301 03-12-2024, 09:34 PM
Last Post: Visualist

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.