Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User - Still feel crappy
New User - Still feel crappy
Hello,

I got my CPAP recently and have been using it for the past five nights, but i feel no improvement. I have mild sleep apnea -  The prescription pressure was 6, which i slept with the first two nights. Night three I moved it up to 7, which I slept with for a night - and then the next night i kept it at 7 but I also slept with a backpack on so i stayed on my side. I had the backpack on the 5th night (last night), but increased the pressure to 8. I haven't had any issue falling asleep or being uncomfortable - Im fine wearing the mask and breathing with the pressure, its just i feel no different from before getting the cpap. I have attached the oscar screenshots from the last 3 nights. All help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Funguy43

- Relatively new to CPAP -

All help is much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User - Still feel crappy
Welcome to Apnea Board. I have no way of knowing how long you had apnea in your past before being diagnosed. I will say it was likely measured in years. So you've had this apnea unchecked, as I'm speculating, for years. Unfortunately, CPAPs do not undo years of damage in days. You have to get accustomed to the CPAP, and make a few adjustments to optimize this therapy.

As I viewed your charts, I saw that in screenshot 2 and 3, you're progressively getting more clustered events. Typically, when this is seen, we suggest considering a soft cervical collar. I should have a wiki of Apnea Board about the collar linked to my signature. This is caused by positional apnea where your chin tucks towards your throat and adds restriction. It could be that your head slides a bit on the pillow and rolls forward if you're side sleeping. For back sleeping, it may be that too think of pillows are being used, again causing your chin to point to your chest. Try pushing your chin to your chest, see if it adds a breathing restriction, and I think you will notice you do.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! I'd like to add a few thoughts to Dave's excellent feedback.

First, you're off to a very good start, with full-night usage and all the resources that Oscar and this board can offer -- plus an readiness to tackle problems and experiment.

Second, I wonder whether you might want to experiment with using a pressure range instead of fixed pressure. Just to start, perhaps a range of 8 min to 10 max? This would allow the machine to do better at reaching the pressure you need to prevent obstructive events. And the data from that experiment could be helpful in making additional changes to your settings.

One change at a time, but a later possibility would be to increase flex to 2. That might give you a little more help with the hypopneas.

Keep us posted, would you?
Post Reply Post Reply
I tried the chin tuck test - i felt some resistance. I have an mild/moderate overbite caused by an underdeveloped jaw, which i thought was related in some way, so this makes sense. I just bought a scc and will be trying it tonight. Thanks!

A pressure range sounds good, but i dont know how to do that with my dreamstation. I think my machine is cpap, not apap, so is this possible? Thanks.
Funguy43

Post Reply Post Reply
You're welcome. Can you give us an ID of your exact DreamStation model number? It should be on a sticker on the back or bottom of the unit. Obvious, don't turn it over without taking the water tub off first. We're looking for a DSX and numbers, this tells us if you have straight CPAP or an APAP. Either way, I think you should have a Flex setting that can vary the exhale pressure On or Off then 1-3. I have heard feedback 1 and 2 may be useful, but that 3 may be less than ideal. We can touch on specifics after the ID of your CPAP.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don’t see a ‘dsx’ with a number, but it does say DreamStnCPAPProHumCell CAN 
REF: CAX400H12C
Does this help? I assume that means it’s just CPAP.
Also yes, I do have options for flex. There are a couple different modes and a couple different levels. I’ve had it set to C-Flex 1.
Funguy43

Post Reply Post Reply
Your machine is a single pressure CPAP with no APAP capability.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I forgot you're in Canada.

I think that'll be a DreamStation Pro CPAP, a humidifier, and standard tubing.

I've never used any Flex. I don't think the BiPAP I had for 1 month had it. Let's see if good advice crops up with use on the C-Flex. You could try setting it to 2 and see if that results in more comfortable therapy. Certainly change it back if the results aren't good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Funguy, your choice as to your first experiment:

* raise flex from 1 to 2, or

* raise pressure from 7 to 8.

If you're like me -- full disclosure here -- you'll do both, but it's really better not to.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok so I'll try the C-Flex on 2. I have a scc now as well, so hopefully that will also help. I think I'm gonna sleep on my back w/ no backpack today? I think it might be the easiest to wear the collar like that.
Funguy43

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 167 6 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 826 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,008 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 895 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.