Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New User - Still feel crappy
RE: Help With Sleep Study Results
Hello. I my AHI was around 3/4/5 range when I first got my machine. Then I was using lower pressure (and c-flex 1), first 6, then 7, and so on.  the scc was recommended to me because of my early oscar charts. I used the backpack because it keeps me on my side, and in my study I had no events on my side.  I've attached an oscar ss from my first night as a reference. This was before I used the scc and backpack, but i did use the breathe rite strip i believe. (The recommendation came from a thread called 'New User - still feel crappy).

I'm using the Under the nose nasal mask, not the full face mask. I wear the breathe right strips just because I have them, and i figure it might keep my nose open a bit. I've never tried nasal pillows. I also have a resmed mirage mirco nasal mask which i got for free from the cpap store, which ive never used.

Ive attached a ss of my biggest tidal spike, and second biggest.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Funguy43

- Relatively new to CPAP -

All help is much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is why we encourage members to keep therapy threads together. Without seeing history and previous recommendations, we can't tell what was done previously and why. Let me know if you want to merge with your previous thread.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure, that makes sense. How would that work? 
Also, here is my sleep from last night - I experimented with C-flex. went to bed with C-flex off woke up with aerophagia pain, so I figured I would try the rest of the night with C-Flex on 3. 

First portion had an AHI 0.7, total has 1.38, so second portion is higher in AHI.
Does this test tell us anything? The Flow rate graph looks the same to me, and so does the tidal volume, Although, I think I have less events with less C-Flex, although I'm not sure how much that helps my breathing overall.

I've attached the oscar picture, and one of what I think might be a rera, although i dont think ive seen it often in my flow graphs at all. I also have a third image in which the machine didn't mark anything, but there seems to be a big apnea, just wanted to check what it was.

So where do we go from here? Are we able to figure out what the tidal spikes are? If so, how can they be fixed?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Funguy43

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New User - Still feel crappy
Threads have been merged. The improvement we see here is a reduction of flow limitation and less RERA. Event rate is good. That said, there are frequent spikes in flow rate that suggest arousal. Your experiment with CFlex shows you had fewer events without Cflex than with a setting of 3. I think the sweet spot may be somewhere in-between. I really think you wold do better with Resmed's EPR, but that is not available. I think keeping pressure at 10 or 11 looks pretty good, and CFlex at 1 or 2. We are pretty limited on what can be tried with this particular machine, so the focus needs to be on comfort.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok Thanks. So pressure 10-11 with 1-2 C-Flex. Events wise this seems to work, but I'm still concerned with the Tidal and flow spikes. Is there a way to figure out what they are? Or fix them? Are they normal? 
Also do i have UARS? I haven't seen many reras, but i do have an untrained eye.
Funguy43

Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider and Bonjour, the OP mentions that he is 16 and that he was diagnosed with sleep apnea despite a very low AHI in part because his sleep doctor thought of his case as one of pediatric apnea. This is information that hadn't surfaced earlier, and I wonder whether it changes your thinking about his problems.

Funguy, it'd be helpful to know whether you've had your tonsils and adenoids removed and whether you've had a full workup from an ENT doctor. (I'm guessing yes, given what you've said, but just checking.) Also, has your regular doctor investigated other possible causes for your daytime symptoms?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the insight Dormeo. I haven't had my tonsils or adenoids removed. I haven't been checked out by an ENT, although I did call a couple days ago to get a referral from my doctor. I have also investigated other causes, bloodwork is fine, other than slight blood count issues, like wbc and rbc are a little low, which i thought would be caused by the sleep issue. No celiac. In the process of getting all this checked, appointments, etc. I've had my blood pressure checked, and it is high for my age, It has been high 130s/high 80s, which i thought was caused by sleep issues. I eat enough food and macros, b12 and iron levels are fine.
Funguy43

Post Reply Post Reply
I caught the age and that was part of my concern to simplify therapy. I just thought with backpacks, SCC, breathe-rite strips too much was thrown at this too early, and looking back at things on the whole, I would probably just use the SCC. For someone this young, I think nasal pillows mask would be more comfortable and negate the need for the nasal strips. I also wish a Resmed was in use here due to the much better exhale (bilevel) pressure delivery that I think would better address all of this with lower pressure. Since the inspiratory spikes don't arise out of a flow limitation addressable by the Philips CPAP, there is not much we could do, even if we wanted to.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
Ok. So what do I have? UARS? Sleep Apnea? I have an appointment with the sleep doctor in a couple weeks, so what should I tell him? Should I ask for a bilevel? would that help? APAP? Im not really sure where to go from here.
Funguy43

Post Reply Post Reply
Minimally so.  Pediatric requirements are more inline with "AB" standards than 'adult' standards are.  Treatment for younger children is typically surgery first, otherwise pretty much what we normally do, be aware of more extreme settings.

It is not a machine fault, RERAs are being detected.

The above is a RERA, the first one was obviously in a wake state,  The other in a period of disturbed breathing (arousal?) but not a recognizable recovery breath.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 3 170 7 hours ago
Last Post: Abhi
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 83 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  CPAP making me feel very tense while I'm asleep jlpool 15 826 03-16-2024, 05:34 PM
Last Post: jlpool
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,009 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Treatment] First PAP usage (BiPAP) for treating UARS + Maybe OSA - Feel like hyperventilating? OneShleepyBoi 21 895 03-02-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 806 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.